Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:52:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Worst Acting In A Sitcom

Started by Satchmo Distel, April 28, 2019, 09:26:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Don Estelle seems to be just standing there, like Syd Little.

Young Mr Grace ditto.

privatefriend

Daphne's extended family in Frasier springs to mind.

neveragain

Quote from: privatefriend on April 28, 2019, 10:18:37 PM

Bad characters but acted as well as they could be, accents aside.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: privatefriend on April 28, 2019, 10:18:37 PM

That's s worst accent acting, to be fair.Bit of a sub- genre.

chveik

St_Eddie

Bit unfair to nominate a child actor bbbuuuuutttt... I'm gonna nominate a child actor.

There's a wee lass in series VIII of Red Dwarf who plays a de-aged Kochanski.  Having been transformed into a kid, she asks Kryten "why do I suddenly feel like a rim toad?".  I spent years wondering what exactly a rim toad was, figuring that it must be the world's smallest amphibian or something.  Many years later, I purchased series VIII on DVD (one of my least watched DVDs, it must be said) and via the subtitles, learned that the line was in fact "why do I suddenly feel like a Vimto?", which makes a lot more sense.

Aside from the terrible pronunciation of the word 'Vimto', it's the way that the line is delivered.  It's delivered as "why do I suddenly feel like [I'm this thing]?", as opposed to "why do I suddenly feel like [I could drink this thing]?".  This is more than likely because the child actress has absolutely no concept of what a Vimto is.

Andy147

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on April 28, 2019, 09:26:23 PM

Saw him in Dad's Army the other day (as an ARP warden) and he sounded like he was reading his lines for the first time.

Similarly, Michael Fielding (Naboo) in The Mighty Boosh.

Small Man Big Horse

I like him a lot but I always thought Tim Vine was a bit dodgy in Not Going Out.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Andy147 on April 28, 2019, 10:41:05 PM
Similarly, Michael Fielding (Naboo) in The Mighty Boosh.

Oh good God, yes.  One of the worst performances that I've ever seen.  It kinda works for the character but it's little surprise that he returned to the retail sector after the series had ended.

rasta-spouse

Did anyone see Badults? Three lads who can't deliver a line.

alan nagsworth

Dev's parents in Master Of None. I know it's intentional and it's cute as hell but jeez his mum is pretty much irredeemably awful.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: chveik on April 28, 2019, 10:35:58 PM
jerry seinfeld

Boring nomination, his performance in that show is a vital part of its charm.

Absorb the anus burn

Felicity Kendall in Honey For Tea.
Christopher Ryan in The Young Ones.

bigfatheart

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on April 28, 2019, 11:12:31 PM
Boring nomination, his performance in that show is a vital part of its charm.

100% agree; he's limited, especially in comparison to his castmates, but he works well within his range and, particularly after the first three seasons or so, they find a way to play to his strengths without exposing his weaknesses. Can absolutely understand people saying he's not on a par with his castmates, but can't understand anyone thinking he's detrimental to the show or one of the worst performers of all time.

BeardFaceMan

The otherwise great Tim McInnery in that ep of Blackadder The Third.

Danger Man

Clare Grogan in Red Dwarf.   Fucking dreadful.

JamesTC

Quote from: Danger Man on April 28, 2019, 11:32:29 PM
Clare Grogan in Red Dwarf.   Fucking dreadful.

"Get out the belt while you can"

If you want a bad performance in Red Dwarf then look no further than the guy who finds Lister under the pool table. Having a look on IMDB, he is also one of the three scousers from Harry Enfield.

The Lurker

Quote from: rasta-spouse on April 28, 2019, 10:55:38 PM
Did anyone see Badults? Three lads who can't deliver a line.

Yeah, I remember that show. There was a laughing track put in after every fucking line too.

St_Eddie

Quote from: JamesTC on April 28, 2019, 11:51:13 PM
"Get out the belt while you can"

I honestly never had much of an issue with Clare Grogan's acting but the cast mercilessly rip into her during that scene on the series VI DVD commentary.  It makes me wonder if there was on set friction because surely it's not generally the done thing to publicly mock another performer's acting behind their back.

the science eel

yes to Don Estelle

yes to Christopher Ryan

and I'll add Keith Barron in Duty Free

Jumblegraws

Courtney Cox does a terrible fake sneeze at 2:02 in this clip from Friends: https://youtu.be/3LO6iC59K70

Twed

She's actually screaming "A JEW!", trying to warn us about Jennifer Aniston being Jewish (not true), like my mother would do regularly (true).

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on April 28, 2019, 09:26:23 PM

Gunner Sugden is Croft & Perry's Private Doberman (another bad actor), only less endearing.

Sin Agog

Hillary Clinton's appearance in Broad City was so naff it almost feels like I dreamt it.

Lordofthefiles

Quote from: chveik on April 28, 2019, 10:35:58 PM
jerry seinfeld

This is a terrible commonly held opinion. Jerry's line delivery throughout the run of Seinfeld was amazing.

Sin Agog

Menu

One of the tax ladies in IAP2 is terrible. That said, her amateurishness lends the scene a sort of hyper-realism that kinda works.

Although the scene itself is an instructive microcosm of the failings of the entire series.