Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 12:23:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Worst Acting In A Sitcom

Started by Satchmo Distel, April 28, 2019, 09:26:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clownbaby

Olisa Odele in My Parents Are Aliens was just awful. Completely baffling replacement kid. The original kids were hardly excellent actors but christ this kid, awful. Really poor speech acting wise. Often a problem with kids, being lispy and sounding a bit stuffy nosed and saying things too fast. It's been a long time since I've seen him in action on My Parents Are Aliens repeats but I bet he's just as bad as my 12 year old self found him.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Clownbaby on May 07, 2019, 12:08:05 AM
Olisa Odele in My Parents Are Aliens was just awful. Completely baffling replacement kid. The original kids were hardly excellent actors but christ this kid, awful. Really poor speech acting wise. Often a problem with kids, being lispy and sounding a bit stufdy nosed and saying things too fast. It's been a long time since I've seen him in action on My Parents Are Aliens repeats but I bet he's just as bad as my 12 year old self found him.

I just looked up a clip and you're not kidding.  It's genuinely difficult to understand what he's saying half of the time.

Clownbaby

It's never good for replacement kids if they come along late in a show. There's a lot of examples of kids replacing shit early installment weirdness cast choices and being very good and the right choice but once a show has kind of run its course and they try to invigorate it with fresh new kiddies they're usually not very good. I wonder why that is. Also it didn't really ring true that the alien parents would just seemlessly adopt areplacement young boy (CJ) because the boy (Josh) was older and a replacement  dour grungey late teens lass (Harriet) to slot into the hole that was left by the original dour grungey late teens lass (Mel) who left and completely replaces that character by seamlessly slotting into being mates with her mate.(Trent)

Also I know I'm going on about what "rings true" in a CITV comedy about a load of kids adopted by some aliens but I like this show, it's ma childhood

St_Eddie

Quote from: Clownbaby on May 07, 2019, 12:53:05 AM
It's never good for replacement kids if they come along late in a show. There's a lot of examples of kids replacing shit early installment weirdness cast choices and being very good and the right choice but once a show has kind of run its course and they try to invigorate it with fresh new kiddies they're usually not very good. I wonder why that is.

It could, in part at least, be due to the other established cast and crew members having a good rapport with one another, which they've developed over the many years of working together.  It must be difficult for a replacement cast member to come into what is essentially a close-knit family and try to fit in, especially if that new cast member is a child, with all of the anxiety and alienation (no pun intended) that comes naturally at that age.  It wouldn't surprise me if that 'new kid at school' feeling ended up affecting their performance at some level.

Quote from: Clownbaby on May 07, 2019, 12:53:05 AMAlso I know I'm going on about what "rings true" in a CITV comedy about a load of kids adopted by some aliens but I like this show, it's ma childhood

Aye, we've all got those shows that we look back fondly on.  My Parents Are Aliens is after my time, being that I was 17 when it first aired.  The 'alien with a family' children's show of my time was Watt on Earth.

Ferris

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on April 29, 2019, 05:19:57 AM
Jerry enjoying his own show never comes across as annoying or self-indulgent, which is a remarkable feat in itself. He knows he's not a great actor - they even make jokes about that during season 4 - but, as bigfatheart says, he gradually learned how to work within his limitations while capitalising on his strengths.

I love his performance in Seinfeld. Those earlier episodes notwithstanding, his lines are beautifully timed and delivered. There are few things in comedy more joyous than Jerry either delivering a dry riposte or becoming childishly hysterical.

Jez Seinfeld isn't a great actor, but it sort of works. One of my favourite running gags in the show was George calling him in desperate need of help because of some absurd situation that only a Costanza could manage to get into and Jerry pausing before saying "...who is this?"

Thinking of it now has made me chuckle.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=payDsNKcRKQ

Menu

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on May 07, 2019, 02:11:07 AM
Jez Seinfeld isn't a great actor, but it sort of works. One of my favourite running gags in the show was George calling him in desperate need of help because of some absurd situation that only a Costanza could manage to get into and Jerry pausing before saying "...who is this?"

Thinking of it now has made me chuckle.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=payDsNKcRKQ

Yes i love that!

Menu

I also love his delivery of the line: "Yeah, well I don't trust this guy.  I think he regifted, then he degifted,
and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp!"

I love how he clearly loves saying this.

Ferris

Just read through the rest of the thread - why does everyone think Polly is American? She has one of those stupid pseudo-RP accents that English people have. This is the first suggestion I've heard that she's not from Torquay, and I'm amazed multiple people have it.

I'm not best placed for accents with my absurd reedy mid-Atlantic drawl, but I've never thought of her as anything but English.

Menu

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on May 07, 2019, 02:26:16 AM
Just read through the rest of the thread - why does everyone think Polly is American? She has one of those stupid pseudo-RP accents that English people have. This is the first suggestion I've heard that she's not from Torquay, and I'm amazed multiple people have it.

I'm not best placed for accents with my absurd reedy mid-Atlantic drawl, but I've never thought of her as anything but English.

The most convincing point made was that when Basil mimics her he puts on an American accent. Which is true.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Menu on May 07, 2019, 02:30:55 AM
The most convincing point made was that when Basil mimics her he puts on an American accent. Which is true.

Is there a chance that might have been his go-to impression of Connie herself?

Menu

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on May 07, 2019, 02:33:13 AM
Is there a chance that might have been his go-to impression of Connie herself?

No doubt. But Polly Sherman definitely sounds a lot like Connie Booth.. That is, slightly American.

koeman

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on May 07, 2019, 02:26:16 AM

Yes, it surprised me, too Until this thread I'd never considered for a second that Polly was anything other than English, to the extent that I'd also forgotten that Connie Booth is actually American.

I've always thought she sounded Australian.

DrGreggles

I'm not sure her nationality is ever relevant to the plot, so let's just all agree that she's Bulgarian and move on.

Virgo76

Quote from: St_Eddie on May 07, 2019, 01:11:37 AM
Aye, we've all got those shows that we look back fondly on.  My Parents Are Aliens is after my time, being that I was 17 when it first aired.  The 'alien with a family' children's show of my time was Watt on Earth.

Mine was CBBC's  Aliens In The Family. Although that wasn't a comedy (at least not intentionally). There seems to be a later US show with the same name.

Pollygate:
I've asked around about this. I've not encountered anyone other than on this forum who thinks she's anything other than American.
Is it just American viewers who think she's British? (I haven't noticed many Americans on here).
She does, after all, have a largely American accent, is played by an American and has an American surname. And then there's Basil's impression.
Why is there any doubt?

McChesney Duntz

As a horrible, uncultured Yank, I always assumed Polly was an American who'd been in England long enough that she took on a bit of an English inflection. Pretty much like Connie Booth herself.

Quote from: McChesney Duntz on May 08, 2019, 08:16:00 AM
she took on a bit of an English infection. Pretty much like Connie Booth herself.

Cleese didn't tell her of his condition, when he shagged her.

jobotic

Of course she's American. I've never heard this discussed before either.

Basil is meant to be Polish though.

Menu

Quote from: jobotic on May 08, 2019, 08:33:58 AM
Of course she's American. I've never heard this discussed before either.

Basil is meant to be Polish though.

No wonder he was so upset about the war.

gmoney

Quote from: St_Eddie on May 07, 2019, 01:11:37 AM

There was also Mike and Angelo on ITV. I don't remember it fondly.

My Parents are Aliens I saw a bit of, and it was quite charming. I remember really hating the angsty older sister though, talking of bad actors.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: St_Eddie on May 07, 2019, 01:11:37 AMel.

Not forgetting this late 80s U.S. alien sitcom? The opening credits are pure Too Many Cooks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35cFunX8ELg

Jumblegraws

Quote from: Virgo76 on May 08, 2019, 07:30:07 AM
Pollygate:
I've asked around about this. I've not encountered anyone other than on this forum who thinks she's anything other than American.
Is it just American viewers who think she's British? (I haven't noticed many Americans on here).
She does, after all, have a largely American accent, is played by an American and has an American surname. And then there's Basil's impression.
Why is there any doubt?
Asked around here and got the opposite response, although I have to say the case for her being American is stronger that I would like. Wikipedia and Tv Tropes both seem to think she's British, for whatever that's worth (probably not much). Her being American doesn't feel right to me though, just because it seems like something Basil would reference much more. I'd have thought it would've been mentioned in Waldorf Salad at the very least. Yeah, there's his impression, but I always chalked that up to a) a cheeky, leaning-on-the-fourth-wall allusion to Booth's nationality and b) Basil's insular idea that an artsy, irritating young English lady would affect an American accent. Plus, whilst I admittedly don't have a good ear for linguistic subtleties like mid-Atlantic accents, I think you can credibly say Polly's accent doesn't sound like Basil's impression (or, indeed, Booth's real accent). I think you could equally argue that any traces of American are just a result of Booth not pulling off Estuary English perfectly. this is a shit counterpoint and I retract it.

It's very weak circumstantial evidence, but in the Wedding Party episode, the guests that are old family friends of Polly's are decidedly English.

Also, since when was Sherman an exclusively American surname? 

beanheadmcginty

St_Eddie

Quote from: Virgo76 on May 08, 2019, 07:30:07 AM
Pollygate:
Why is there any doubt?

Indeed.  The deniers had me doubting myself for a while back there but reading the arguments on both sides and reflecting upon them, has only led me back to where I started; Polly is American (or at the very least an American who's spent a lot of her life living in Britain).

Quote from: gmoney on May 08, 2019, 01:34:07 PM
There was also Mike and Angelo on ITV. I don't remember it fondly.

Ah, yes.  Mike and Angelo and Watt on Earth were the two 'aliens living with a family' children's shows which I grew up with.  I guess that I didn't remember Mike and Angelo too fondly either, considering that my mind went straight to Watt on Earth and completely skipped any memory of Mike and Angelo.

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on May 08, 2019, 01:58:36 PM
Not forgetting this late 80s U.S. alien sitcom? The opening credits are pure Too Many Cooks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35cFunX8ELg

Huh.  I very, very vaguely recall that theme song from my childhood.  It's no Spatz or Round the Twist though, it must be said.

Virgo76

I'm such an obsessive, I actually contacted John Cleese's website to ask about Polly.
I got this response:

I am John's PA. Thank you for your enquiry.
Here is an extract from public domain Wikipedia.
"Constance Booth is an American-born writer, actress, comedian and psychotherapist based in Britain."
Best Regards,

So that settles it. Because the main issue was, after all, that none of us really knew who Connie Booth was.
(she is known as Connie Box in the UK).
I'm off to find a branch to hit my laptop with.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Virgo76 on May 08, 2019, 03:55:00 PM
I'm such an obsessive, I actually contacted John Cleese's website to ask about Polly.
I got this response:

I am John's PA. Thank you for your enquiry.
Here is an extract from public domain Wikipedia.
"Constance Booth is an American-born writer, actress, comedian and psychotherapist based in Britain."
Best Regards,

So that settles it. Because the main issue was, after all, that none of us really knew who Connie Booth was.
(she is known as Connie Box in the UK).
I'm off to find a branch to hit my laptop with.

Perhaps Cleese's PA could also look towards Wikipedia to find out why he/she is so useless (or at least in this specific case.  They do a fine job generally, I should imagine).

I previously suggested that someone with a twitter account might want to try asking John Cleese himself.  That still likely stands as the best way of going about getting a definitive answer.  Any takers?

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: St_Eddie on May 08, 2019, 03:59:46 PM
Perhaps Cleese's PA could also look towards Wikipedia to find out why he/she is so useless (or at least in this specific case).

I previously suggested that someone with a twitter account might want to try asking John Cleese himself.  That still likely stands as the best way of going about getting a definitive answer.  Any takers?

I'd do it, but he might say something cutting and sarcastic in response and that would make me sad.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on May 08, 2019, 04:05:15 PM
I'd do it, but he might say something cutting and sarcastic in response and that would make me sad.

Understandable.  I don't think that I could take John Cleese's sarcastic dismissal.  To paraphrase Street Fighter: The Movie (of all things)...

Quote from: John Cleese"For you, the day Cleese tore apart your tweet, was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

the science eel