Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:35:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Music to take hallucinogenics to

Started by Blinder Data, April 29, 2019, 07:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Cuntbeaks on April 30, 2019, 12:51:55 AM
I'm pretty sure I saw these guys at a Megadog, sounded great on the night, like everything did. But home listening revealed, for me anyway, a lack of depth. Never got into the whole trance style scene back then, but it was great live. Particularly with thr eye popping light shows.

Are you sure - 1994 mate, its not even Trance. I bought it on a whim from a bargain bin and in the mid-90s I had never heard anything like it. I'm listening now and apart from some small elements that date it, it still remarkably fresh. They were associated with Bullitnuts and the Fila Brasilia crowd, and the album is much more along those lines than any Trance stuff.

studpuppet

The Megatripolis CD was a good one in the day.

And wot no Head music? How about a bit of Roky Eriksson and of course Taking Drugs To Make Music To Take Drugs To

Johnny Yesno

I nearly forgot Space of a Second by nick nicely. There's bits of that that'll turn your mind inside out.

Norton Canes

The only time I ever took hallucinogenics, the picture of Kate Bush from my mate's Sensual World poster started talking to me.

Johnboy

Dr Rock

Butthole Surfers
Bongwater
Pebbles/Nuggets compilations
Can
Loop
Seeds
13t Floor Elevators
Nancy & Lee, esp Some Velvet Morning
Funkadelic
Sly Stone
Danielle Dax
Vampiros Lesbos OST

and watch the Monkees movie Head

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Sin Agog on April 29, 2019, 08:16:06 PM
Yeah, I don't do so good with the acid.  I spend the whole time desperately screaming at my ego not to go and die on me; your personality's not a construct at all and don't let this bloody drug end this great thing we have going on.

I recommend nice music he's already very familiar with.

Yes. I'm agreeing with you, I'm not recommending anyone listen to Yes while on LSD.

The OP mentions Pet Sounds, which is a beautiful album, but the lyrics are really sad and introspective for the most part. Someone with hallucinogens coursing through their brain shouldn't listen to a song like Hang On To Your Ego, that would be terrifying.

Cheerful instrumentals are probably the safest bet. I am of course referring to Herb Alpert and his Tijuana Brass. What could possibly go wrong while listening to this in a state of psychedelic disrepair?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cK5pl6W2CFE

Quote from: Dr Rock on April 30, 2019, 10:27:59 AM
and watch the Monkees movie Head

I've often wondered what it would be like watching that on acid. Not that I'll ever find out, as hallucinogens terrify me, but I suspect it would be a bewildering and possibly quite upsetting experience.

Yes, it's contains nice, pretty, trippy stuff like the Porpoise Song sequence, but it also features that infamous clip of Nguyễn Văn Lém being assassinated at point blank range. No one needs to see that while tripping off their tits.

a duncandisorderly

Cuntbeaks

Quote from: BlodwynPig on April 30, 2019, 12:59:06 AM
Are you sure - 1994 mate, its not even Trance. I bought it on a whim from a bargain bin and in the mid-90s I had never heard anything like it. I'm listening now and apart from some small elements that date it, it still remarkably fresh. They were associated with Bullitnuts and the Fila Brasilia crowd, and the album is much more along those lines than any Trance stuff.
Could very well be mistaken, my memory is a bit hazy of those days. I thought they were part of the Eat Static, Banco Di Gaia style of music.

Will give them a whirl.

Cuntbeaks

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on April 30, 2019, 08:32:55 PM
I've often wondered what it would be like watching that on acid. Not that I'll ever find out, as hallucinogens terrify me, but I suspect it would be a bewildering and possibly quite upsetting experience.

Yes, it's contains nice, pretty, trippy stuff like the Porpoise Song sequence, but it also features that infamous clip of Nguyễn Văn Lém being assassinated at point blank range. No one needs to see that while tripping off their tits.
Its beyond belief, certainly on shrooms. Once Porpoise Song ends, you're absolutely gone. Everything about it just screams, Hallucinogenics, even the shirts they've got on. It is an incredible experience.

Interesting, ta. As I say, I'll never experience that for myself, but I did wonder if one of the most psychedelic films ever made - a film consciously designed to be watched while high - actually worked while under the influence of psychedelics, or whether it's freaky, formless nature might prove disquieting.

Head is also one of the few well-known cultural artifacts where the terminally boring question, "What were these guys ON when they wrote this?!", can be answered sincerely with "Fuckloads of drugs."

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Dr Rock on April 30, 2019, 10:27:59 AM
Butthole Surfers
Bongwater
Pebbles/Nuggets compilations
Can
Loop
Seeds
13t Floor Elevators
Nancy & Lee, esp Some Velvet Morning
Funkadelic
Sly Stone
Danielle Dax
Vampiros Lesbos OST

Some excellent ideas in there. I have heavily road tested Loop and can vouch for their suitability. Fade Out sounds amazing. Can't believe I forgot to mention them. And by extension, Suicide (Loop covered Rocket USA).

Pop Eyes by Danielle Dax is also top notch. Its oddly ancient sound is more suited to mushrooms, though, to my ears.

What are the Pebbles/Nuggets compilations?

Quoteand watch the Monkees movie Head

Will I enjoy this even if I can't stand the music of the Monkees?

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on April 30, 2019, 10:16:04 PM

'60s garage rock/psychedelia/proto-punk compilations.

Will I enjoy this even if I can't stand the music of the Monkees?

You'll probably emerge from the film with a very different view of the Monkees. The soundtrack is fantastic and the film itself is gloriously odd, smart, cynical, self-lacerating and wantonly psychedelic (in a good way).

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on April 30, 2019, 08:32:55 PM
Yes. I'm agreeing with you, I'm not recommending anyone listen to Yes while on LSD.

Well, that's good because I wouldn't recommend anyone listen to Yes at all.

QuoteThe OP mentions Pet Sounds, which is a beautiful album, but the lyrics are really sad and introspective for the most part. Someone with hallucinogens coursing through their brain shouldn't listen to a song like Hang On To Your Ego, that would be terrifying.

The Beach Boys irritate the bejesus out of me, so I'd have issues dealing with this anyway. But you're making a couple of spurious assumptions here: (1) that trippers have the attention span to take in a narrative across a set of lyrics, and (2) that what you think is beautiful now is what you would think is beautiful when you are / have been tripping. Also, why are you afraid of introspection? That's what it's about, maaan!

QuoteCheerful instrumentals are probably the safest bet. I am of course referring to Herb Alpert and his Tijuana Brass. What could possibly go wrong while listening to this in a state of psychedelic disrepair?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cK5pl6W2CFE

I can't tell if you're serious, but no. No no no no no no no no no. No. No no no. Depending on how it takes you, cliché or tedious irony can be far more unsettling than confusion or doom. That Alpert atrocity is just too... flat.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on April 30, 2019, 10:24:19 PM
'60s garage rock/psychedelia/proto-punk compilations.

You'll probably emerge from the film with a very different view of the Monkees. The soundtrack is fantastic and the film itself is gloriously odd, smart, cynical, self-lacerating and wantonly psychedelic (in a good way).

I will check both of these out. Thanks.

grassbath

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Film watching isn't as much fun on acid as you'd think, even if it's a classic weird/trippy film. The visuals you experience are so overwhelming anyway that they render what you're looking at sort of indistinct and meaningless, and there's absolutely no way you can follow any kind of plot. My friend put on Bedknobs and Broomsticks on a mescaline trip once, thinking 'ho ho this'll be fun,' but I spent all of it feeling bored, unsettled and restless, wishing we were listening to music instead.

chveik

yes watching clouds or leaves is overwhelming enough.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: grassbath on April 30, 2019, 11:04:26 PM
Film watching isn't as much fun on acid as you'd think, even if it's a classic weird/trippy film. The visuals you experience are so overwhelming anyway that they render what you're looking at sort of indistinct and meaningless, and there's absolutely no way you can follow any kind of plot. My friend put on Bedknobs and Broomsticks on a mescaline trip once, thinking 'ho ho this'll be fun,' but I spent all of it feeling bored, unsettled and restless, wishing we were listening to music instead.

This is true. However, I did make the mistake of watching Jacob's Ladder once, thinking 'I've seen it before and it had Tim Robbins in it. How disturbing can it be?'

It's probably my favourite film, but I couldn't work out what the fuck was going on or who anyone was. Round and round it went in increasing unsettling sequences of vignettes. But once I was in, I had to watch it to the end to get some kind of closure. It took me a month before I felt right again.

'Get me out of here!'
'There is no "out of here".'
Brrrr!

Also, I got into Beavis and Butthead for the first time, having previously been resistant. It was the one where they were bored and ended up watching the electric meter going round, declaring that 'Time sucks'. That floored me.

And Inside Victor Lewis Smith was good too. The one where he decided he was an anarchist, broke into the BBC archives and overdubbed videos of Hendrix and James Galway with his own terrible playing. That had me rolling on the floor too.

Quote from: grassbath on April 30, 2019, 11:04:26 PM

Head, which is deliberately plotless and disjointed, is probably more palatable if you're tripping, in that case. I have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about, obviously, but your post suggests that a free-flowing film packed with interesting visuals and music might be quite a pleasurable experience.

You don't have to follow it, losing track of what was going on wouldn't matter.

Howj Begg

This works for me. Pre-20c music written on opium, and largely about the experience of being on it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yK6iAxe0oEc

Classic Fm succintly sez:

QuoteBerlioz's Symphonie Fantastique is without doubt one of the druggiest pieces in the classical canon, and it's surely no coincidence that Berlioz himself loved a bit of opium to open his mind's eye. In a letter to his father, he once said: "I see myself in a mirror. Often I experience the most extraordinary impressions, of which nothing can give any idea... the effect is like that of opium."

https://www.classicfm.com/discover-music/latest/classical-music-drugs/berlioz-opium/

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on April 30, 2019, 10:44:25 PM
The Beach Boys irritate the bejesus out of me, so I'd have issues dealing with this anyway. But you're making a couple of spurious assumptions here: (1) that trippers have the attention span to take in a narrative across a set of lyrics, and (2) that what you think is beautiful now is what you would think is beautiful when you are / have been tripping. Also, why are you afraid of introspection? That's what it's about, maaan!

I'm introspective enough as it is. Further investigation into my neurotic psyche would be unhealthy.

I wasn't suggesting that trippers would be capable of listening to Pet Sounds with the utmost concentration, just that certain lyrics might lodge in their head. The song I Just Wasn't Made for These Times revolves around this refrain: "Sometimes I feel very sad".

I'm not judging anyone here, by the way, I can only speak from my own abjectly sensitive and depressive point of view.

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on April 30, 2019, 10:44:25 PM
I can't tell if you're serious, but no. No no no no no no no no no. No. No no no. Depending on how it takes you, cliché or tedious irony can be far more unsettling than confusion or doom. That Alpert atrocity is just too... flat.

I was joking, but that music makes me feel genuinely happy.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Cuntbeaks on April 30, 2019, 08:49:29 PM
Could very well be mistaken, my memory is a bit hazy of those days. I thought they were part of the Eat Static, Banco Di Gaia style of music.

Will give them a whirl.

I think its because that first track (Travelling Without Moving) appeared on the second Feed Your Head compilation - which also featured the ambient trance/post-crusty artists (Mainly on the first).

a duncandisorderly

you know "mr pharmacist" by the fall? the original version of that is among them.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on April 30, 2019, 09:20:48 PM
Head is also one of the few well-known cultural artifacts where the terminally boring question, "What were these guys ON when they wrote this?!", can be answered sincerely with "Fuckloads of drugs."

the whole reason I'm here, CaB'ing, is "head", & the partial analysis that I stumbled on over at 'some of the corpses' a couple of years ago.

http://sotcaa.org/head/index.html

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on May 01, 2019, 12:35:47 AM
I'm introspective enough as it is. Further investigation into my neurotic psyche would be unhealthy.

It's a drug, not a therapist. When you realise that the idea of an hour doesn't currently have much meaning, the idea of your 'neurotic psyche' is meh, tbh.

QuoteI wasn't suggesting that trippers would be capable of listening to Pet Sounds with the utmost concentration, just that certain lyrics might lodge in their head. The song I Just Wasn't Made for These Times revolves around this refrain: "Sometimes I feel very sad".

Terrifying!

You are definitely over-thinking this.

QuoteI'm not judging anyone here, by the way, I can only speak from my own abjectly sensitive and depressive point of view.

And failing to understand the point of psychedelics. They are not for happy happy joy joy people.

QuoteI was joking, but that music makes me feel genuinely happy.

It's jolly, but beyond that, it wouldn't offer much of interest in the circumstances we are discussing. One of the qualities in music that makes me happy is hearing interesting textures.

Cabaret Voltaire - Expect Nothing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-m-M4hCEPk

(there's a great Seeds cover on the same album, btw: No Escape - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIyFSGJ4mgM)

boki

What you want, right, is something with loads and loads and loads of Satanism.  The more Satanism, the better. LSD really stands for Laughter and Satanism Drug, but they don't want you to know that.

If anyone asks, I was never here.

NoSleep

Wot? No mention of Hawkwind or Gong, yet? Also, Pink Fairies "Never Never Land". Some Jimi Hendrix (Electric Ladyland) or Spirit (Spirit Of '76), too.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: NoSleep on May 01, 2019, 01:09:47 PM
Wot? No mention of Hawkwind or Gong, yet?

Meh. I'd recommend bypassing both and going straight to Chrome and The Residents. You know it's true...

NoSleep

I'm sure Chrome would also fit the bill (especially as Helios Creed collaborates with members of Hawkwind these days).

Hawkwind era I'm talking about is from In Search Of Space through to Space Ritual. For Gong, it's Camembert Electrique through to You. I'd also stick in some of Daevid Allen & Gillie Smyth's solo albums, like Good Morning, Mother & Now Is The Happiest Time of Your Life.

NoSleep

Some damn fine lysergic jazz out there, too:

Love, Love - Julian Priester: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UyLep3fTo8 (electric wah wah trombones and mellotrons)

Zawinul (featuring some fine Echoplex tweaking from Herbie Hancock & Joe Zawinul amongst other things)

Bitches Brew (natch) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbCt-iXIXlQ&t=1205s