Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:36:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Rivers Of London tv series

Started by Small Man Big Horse, April 29, 2019, 10:12:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

Is apparently being worked on by Simon Pegg and Nick Frost. Bet you were all excited by the thread title and now your dreams have been crushed by that first sentence. I did it on purpose too, because I am a monstrous cunt.

The full story is here: https://news.avclub.com/simon-pegg-and-nick-frost-working-on-tv-adaptation-of-f-1834394042

dallasman

Never heard of it, so I had to check that "Rivers" wasn't the name of the protagonist, or I would have fucking EXPLODED at you. That doesn't appear to be the case, so is Pegg/Frost the bad news or what?

olliebean

Never heard of it either. Are the books good, then? Because frankly my reaction to the description of it at that link was along the lines of, "Oh FUCK OFF!"

Bad Ambassador

I hear they're very good. Line of Duty crossed with Harry Potter.

Absorb the anus burn

I hear they're very good. Gormenghast crossed with Juliet Bravo.

Absorb the anus burn

I hear they're very good. Lord Of The Rings crossed with Cagney And Lacey.

Neomod

[tag]Donny Tourette leaves thread disappointed[/tag]

Spoon of Ploff

Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere crossed with The Sweeney The Bill.

The Rivers of London books are written by Ben Aaronovitch wot wrote the script for Remembrance of the Daleks.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: dallasman on April 29, 2019, 10:24:24 PM
Never heard of it, so I had to check that "Rivers" wasn't the name of the protagonist, or I would have fucking EXPLODED at you. That doesn't appear to be the case, so is Pegg/Frost the bad news or what?

The latter, yeah, and I used to like Pegg/Frost a great deal but it's been a long time since they've made anything that I've loved.

Tony Tony Tony

I hear they're very good too... a bit like American Gods crossed with The Thin Blue Line (with more laughs).

Alberon

It's a good series. Aaronovitch has an advisor on current police practice so procedure is more realistic. It might seem an odd thing to praise in a show about a PC who becomes an apprentice wizard who gets mixed up with the half-human, half-god avatars of London's rivers, but it works well. Aaronovitch also has a good turn of phrase in the first-person narration of the stories, his assigned car in the early books gets nicknamed the Ford Asbo, for instance.

Most urban fantasy I absolutely loathe, but this is a really good series. There's been interest in the TV rights for this for a while, but this is the closest yet to production its got. It doesn't mean it's anywhere guaranteed to make it to our screens, but I hope so. Even Pegg and Frost can't put me off.

Norton Canes

Quote from: Spoon of Ploff on April 30, 2019, 12:13:30 PM
Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere crossed with The Sweeney The Bill

Yeah, Gaiman is definitely the biggest influence.

Quote from: Spoon of Ploff on April 30, 2019, 12:13:30 PM
The Rivers of London books are written by Ben Aaronovitch wot wrote the script for Remembrance of the Daleks

Nothing he's written since has ever topped the Target novelisation.

Dex Sawash

Captain Z

Joan, this is Clem Fandango, can you hear me?

Zip it, shrimpy.

MojoJojo

Quote from: Norton Canes on May 01, 2019, 11:48:01 AM
Yeah, Gaiman is definitely the biggest influence.

While Gaiman is an obvious influence (is there any urban fantasy that isn't influenced by Neverwhere?) I'd say it's closer in form to the Dresden files. Even some of the details like magic making technology breakdown are there.

Although Aaronovitch is a much better writer. The Dresden files is a bit ruined bye the fact the prose in the first 2 or 3 books is awful.