Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:15:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Burning (Lee Chang-dong 2018)

Started by rjd2, May 02, 2019, 04:28:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rjd2

On paper it's a relatively generic premise. Poor protagonist who yearns to be a novelist, but is working on the family's farm while his father is in court falls in love with a local girl who goes on holiday and returns with a rival for her attentions, Ben a wealthy good looking chap who is everything our lead isn't.

However as you would expect with all the critical acclaim it's much more complex than that, it's a mystery which also is a graphic illustration of the economic inequality of South Korea.

Anyone else see it?

joaquin closet

I saw it when it was in the cinema.

Like it more in retrospect than I did at the time.

Thought the shifting relationships between the trio were fascinating - Jong-su has this aloof confidence in his relationship with Hae-mi stemming from him having been the coolest guy in their small town that completely vanishes in the face of Ben's urbane cool. Initially I thought Ben was a cunt, but if you really look at it he's always kind and welcoming to Jong-su. As to whether Ben did it, I feel like him turning up at the end basically proves he didn't. Lee Chang-dong allows us to trick ourselves, to identify with Jong-su and buy into his delusional thought process.

It's a super clever film, and really interesting to think about and theorise on, but I wouldn't say I really connected to it on an emotional level. Also it was fucking long. Thats probably my main criticism.