Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,583,396
  • Total Topics: 106,741
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 05:12:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Singers what sound like other singers...

Started by Lordofthefiles, May 03, 2019, 07:34:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lordofthefiles

Fred Schneider sounds like Jello Biafra, or Jello Biafra sounds like Fred Schneider.

Brundle-Fly

The lead singer of The Decemberists sounds like Brian Molko out of Placebo.

BJBMK2

McChesney Duntz

When I first heard "West End Girls" back in '84, my first thought was, "Wow, Al Stewart's really trying something new."

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: McChesney Duntz on May 04, 2019, 12:32:40 AM
When I first heard "West End Girls" back in '84, my first thought was, "Wow, Al Stewart's really trying something new."

When I first heard Belle & Sebastian on the radio back in 1996, my first thought was, "Wow, Donovan can still write a tune."

phantom_power

The lead sing of Misty's Big Adventure sounds exactly like Julian Cope

Twit 2

Brundle-Fly

I managed to convince for a few minutes a mate who was a huge Costello fan that this was Elvis's new single in the late eighties.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcU57tAKzng

Brundle-Fly

The most fascinating one for me was The Dears with Murray Lightburn, a black Canadian artist who managed to channel Morrissey, Neil Hannon and Damon Albarn's singing style all in the same track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALA8bszA0L0

Mr Banlon

Andy Kim - Neil Diamond
America - CS&N
Jello Biafra - Norm MacDonald

Icehaven

I've just got Sufjan Stevens and the singer in Beirut confused but that might be my cloth ears as they aren't that similar.

Brundle-Fly

McFlymo

Matt Bellamy - Thom Yorke - Chris Martin
... then all British singers from 2000 until 2017

Captain Z

I was trying desperately to remember the name of the Alanis Morissette song I was hearing the other day, it turned out to be Zombie by The Cranberries.

alan nagsworth

The guy from Metz often manages to sound like John Lydon having a panic attack in a cave, notably on the verse to this track, Rats.

flotemysost

I used to think Barbie Girl by Aqua must have been by the same band that did Don't Speak (I would have been about seven but I don't think it's an unreasonable assumption, the vocals have that same sort of petulant girlish tone).

Lovefool by The Cardigans fell into the same category in my head for a while as well, but I think that was more the sugary sadness of the song overall.

Captain Z

^ Add 'Sixpence None The Richer - Kiss Me' into that mix.

Clownbaby

Quote from: alan nagsworth on May 06, 2019, 09:16:24 PM
The guy from Metz often manages to sound like John Lydon having a panic attack in a cave, notably on the verse to this track, Rats.

"John Lydon having a panic attack in a cave" sounds right up my alley to be fair

famethrowa

I always enjoyed this tune, where our fella goes from Bryan Adams (verse) to Crowded House (prechorus) to Phil Collins (chorus)

https://youtu.be/ugpsZqLEYJI?t=38

Twed

Quote from: famethrowa on May 07, 2019, 12:11:22 AM
I always enjoyed this tune, where our fella goes from Bryan Adams (verse) to Crowded House (prechorus) to Phil Collins (chorus)

https://youtu.be/ugpsZqLEYJI?t=38
This is the most accurate description of anything that has ever been described!

buzby

Since she started buying songs off her and copying her guide vocals, Paloma Faith has gone from an Amy Winehouse imitator to a Sia imitator.

Clownbaby

Halsey = every other bland yelpy wispy voiced singer

NoSleep

Finley Quaye is a Poundland Burning Spear (Winston Rodney).

thraxx

When Babylon by David Gray came out nearly 20 fackin years ago, I just assumed is was a Simply Red or Mick Hucknall song.

NoSleep

Mick Hucknall sounds like a Poundland Marty Balin.

famethrowa

Quote from: Twed on May 07, 2019, 01:04:07 AM
This is the most accurate description of anything that has ever been described!

It's probably more the chords in the "up and down" bit that sound like Neil Finn, but the words help too.

boki

This is very much a one-song-only thing, but Mike Vennart's vocal performance on Don't Forget The Joker reeeally reminds me of Chris Cornell.