Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:27:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

10 Musicians You Don't Like From The 60s?

Started by MortSahlFan, May 03, 2019, 08:27:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brundle-Fly

It's remarkable that Heinz's hooter was remarkably scar free in that later interview considering he had it bitten off. Funny that.

grassbath

Quote from: Nice Relaxing Poo on May 04, 2019, 04:38:40 PM
I think being a snide, sour, wife beating prick would have cancelled him without the need for inflammatory remarks.

Snide and sour, sure, but the 'wife beating' thing, despite being thrown around a lot, is pretty baseless. Cynthia said he hit her just the once in a jealous rage when they were teenagers. Yoko has never said that he was violent. I don't doubt he would have been pretty difficult to live with though.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: grassbath on May 04, 2019, 05:47:05 PM
Snide and sour, sure, but the 'wife beating' thing, despite being thrown around a lot, is pretty baseless. Cynthia said he hit her just the once in a jealous rage when they were teenagers. Yoko has never said that he was violent. I don't doubt he would have been pretty difficult to live with though.

Lennon obviously regretted hitting her, but it was still a fucking awful thing to do. Does he deserve to be classed as a wife-beater? Well, no, not in the sense that he was pathologically violent towards women, but being an angry, jealous, insecure person is no excuse for lamping your girlfriend just the once.

He was a complicated man who was capable of being very charming, funny and generous, but fuck me, imagine (it's easy if you try) getting on the wrong side of him! He'd either tear you apart with his his cruel sarcasm or punch you in the face.

I know he suffered from deep-seated psychological issues, I sympathise with that, but... och, I don't really know how to end that point in a tidy, satisfactory way.

He wrote some great songs, didn't he?

grassbath

Er, yes, just to clarify that I'm not excusing him hitting her in the slightest. I used the phrase 'just the once' to factually contradict the term 'wife-beater,' which implies the sustained beating of wives.

Mr Banlon

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on May 04, 2019, 05:44:57 PM
Why is this man still at large?

"Conrad is a member of the show business fraternity the Grand Order of Water Rats, having served as "King Rat".[7] He is also a Freemason and a member of Chelsea Lodge No. 3098, the membership of which is made up of entertainers.[8] He was appointed an Officer of the Order of the British Empire (OBE) in the 2011 Queen's Birthday Honours for charitable services.[9] In 2018, he appeared in ITV's Last Laugh in Vegas. "

Quote from: grassbath on May 04, 2019, 06:16:59 PM
Er, yes, just to clarify that I'm not excusing him hitting her in the slightest. I used the phrase 'just the once' to factually contradict the term 'wife-beater,' which implies the sustained beating of wives.

Sorry, grassbath, I didn't mean to imply that you were excusing that violent act. That wasn't my intention at all. I know you weren't saying, "Hey guys! He just hit Cynthia once! Chill the fuck out!"

Keebleman

For years I assumed Jess Conrad was a performer who had achieved only the most marginal level of success, and that in just an Ed Wood way.  I first heard of him in The Book of Heroic Failures, which was a huge bestseller circa 1980, where an article about a competition to find the worst songs of all time said Conrad had three entries in the Top 50.  I don't recall ever seeing him on TV or hearing his records.

MortSahlFan

About 5 years ago, it seems like millions have turned against Lennon for one slap. If thats the worst thing he did in his entire life, then I think he's a great guy, one of my favorite people. Besides the usual things his fans say, I think he's very funny.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: MortSahlFan on May 04, 2019, 07:25:29 PM
About 5 years ago, it seems like millions have turned against Lennon for one slap.

Have they though? Albert Goldman had stuck the boot into John thirty years ago and his reputation weathered the storm. He wasn't a saint, he wasn't a demon, he was human.

About 5 years ago, it seems like millions have turned against Lennon for one slap. If thats the worst thing he did in his entire life, then I think he's a great guy, one of my favorite people. Besides the usual things his fans say, I think he's very funny.

One slap. Yep, a great guy.

He was very funny and talented, a fundamentally decent man who was also an absolute cunt at times. As Brundle says, he was human. Not all humans are like that, it's just that John Lennon happened to embody all of those contradictions.

Stop trying to simplify things, human nature is more complicated than that.

Also, who would you nominate? And why?

MortSahlFan

Stack all the pros and cons of John Lennon, and I think his pros have done a lot more for the world than the average.

I don't like Bob Dylan; very condescending to people, and he strikes me as a fake. Even though The Who is one of my favorites, I don't like Pete Townshend, especially for diminishing Keith Moon more and more, almost as if "It's all ME, its not the drummer"..

MortSahlFan

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on May 04, 2019, 07:39:25 PM
Have they though? Albert Goldman had stuck the boot into John thirty years ago and his reputation weathered the storm. He wasn't a saint, he wasn't a demon, he was human.
Yes, 30 years ago, but in the last 5 years, I keep seeing people digging stuff up to be offended by..... Retrospective projection of morality. My biggest irk is the hypocrisy, how people just go along with the majority thought. Meryl Streep thought Polanski was sooo great despite molesting a girl, and then 10 minutes later becomes self-righteous.

Brundle-Fly

Brundle-Fly

Sin Agog

Brundle's Saturday Night Dots [would have been a good title for a slightly racist Bonzo's song]

Sin Agog

Serge Gainsbourg writing a song about lollipops for France Gall and then utterly humiliating her by later casually revealing it was really about blowjobs makes him good fodder for this thread.

(The full story: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=A9ajuEVNfb0)

This is such a stupid thread and I apologise for contributing to it.

Quote from: MortSahlFan on May 04, 2019, 10:56:38 PM
Yes, 30 years ago, but in the last 5 years, I keep seeing people digging stuff up to be offended by..... Retrospective projection of morality. My biggest irk is the hypocrisy, how people just go along with the majority thought. Meryl Streep thought Polanski was sooo great despite molesting a girl, and then 10 minutes later becomes self-righteous.

You're an idiot.

About 5 years ago, it seems like millions have turned against Lennon for one slap.

what the fuck are you talking about

i could swear this place is increasingly becoming overwhelmed by people itching to broadcast their weird social media grievances

Anyway my contribution to this thread is Frank Zappa because he seemed like a sanctimonious tosser

Sin Agog

I guess Moe Tucker getting found out as a Tea Party Republican was a few years ago now, and when I asked to see if she voted for Trump at the polling station she politely declined, but she is on record as hating the idea of there being any rise in taxes to help any of her country's suffering, so I don't think we'd ever be besties.

At least she's not Eric Clapton with his mad Enoch Powellian rants (not to mention taking the piss out of the robot community in this clip): https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Dg9IZyx_-Os

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Sin Agog on May 05, 2019, 02:35:37 AM

At least she's not Eric Clapton with his mad Enoch Powellian rants (not to mention taking the piss out of the robot community in this clip): https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Dg9IZyx_-Os

I was watching that Clapton doc on BBC4 last night and he said was completely depressed and off his tits on booze and class A's at the time. Beak plus depression makes people say and do very stupid things.

Sin Agog

I know he was justifying those comments not ten years ago, but I'm glad he showed regret on camera, even if the only thing he did that I like was play on the Shapes of Things/Mr. You're a Better Man Than I Yardbirds single.

Oh, he'd left by then?  Then I amend that to the only thing he's done that I like is apologise for being racist by pointing out that he has black friends.

EDIT: Looks like he went on a bit of an apology tour last year, so the regret might be genuine after all.

Clapton does seem genuinely remorseful about that rant. I don't know what else he can do at this point apart from saying he's really, really sorry, he was mentally ill and off his face at the time, and he's not actually a racist.

You could, of course, argue that the problems Clapton was experiencing at the time are no excuse for, if we're to take his word for it, a definitely non-racist man suddenly deciding to spout a load of hateful doggerel, but as Brundle says, drugs, booze and depression can make people do and say very strange, stupid things.

I'm not even a Clapton fan, but I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt here. Nice of me, I know.

Sebastian Cobb

I can see booze and drugs possibly making someone do some weird spontaneous edgelordian racism, but claptons rant seems like he's thought about it for a while and the drugs and booze removed his filter. He might've seen the error of his ways, but it seems to me the thinking behind that outburst was the thinking of an actual bigot.

It's like when those ukip politicians have a big paddy and racially abuse some poor person in a service job and claim they were 'just tired'. Nah you're an actual racist who got tired and forgot to pretend not to be racist. Non racists having a strop would just've been curt.

grassbath

Quote from: MortSahlFan on May 04, 2019, 10:53:14 PM
I don't like Bob Dylan; very condescending to people, and he strikes me as a fake.

On the rare occasions that he lets his guard down to the public, I get the impression he's a pretty normal, chilled out guy, if a little eccentric. I think he's uncomfortable with his 'mythic' status, which can lead to some spikiness. Not surprising when you consider what he had to put up with at the height of his fame, having to explain and justify every single line to the press and his 'followers.' Artistically, he's no fake. Probably the only significant counterculture musician who's anywhere near the real deal in terms of literary merit.

Mr Banlon

Clapton may, or may not still be a racist tool, but he does seem to still be a typical rich fucking tool :
   "When he goes to Nantucket, with his big yacht, he keeps parking it in the harbor, blocking the local boats from coming and going with island supplies. They keep telling him, but he doesn't care, with his white standards."
And that bloody song he wrote for his son : https://youtu.be/7Le-mYN3dl0?t=70

studpuppet

Quote from: Shaky on May 04, 2019, 06:09:59 AM
Leave Sean Connery alone!

Actually, it's the bastard love child of Ming The Merciless and Harold Meaker.