Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,187
  • Total Topics: 106,349
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:52:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

10 Musicians You Don't Like From The 60s?

Started by MortSahlFan, May 03, 2019, 08:27:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chveik

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on May 05, 2019, 01:48:48 PM
Clapton does seem genuinely remorseful about that rant. I don't know what else he can do at this point apart from saying he's really, really sorry, he was mentally ill and off his face at the time, and he's not actually a racist.

give all his money to struggling african blues musicians

Sin Agog

The reason why I know his dismissal of that speech as a one-off drunken rant is hooey is because even in 2004 Clapton was referring to Enoch Powell as 'outrageously brave.' I know his benders could go on a bit, but 30 years?

source: 2004 uncut interview.

holyzombiejesus

Kim Fowley. Just been reading about the odious Bob Markley from the West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band and I never realised the two were linked. *shudders*

Then there's the usual Jim Morrison, Eric Clapton and John Lennon. Status Quo are/ were cunts too.

Phil_A

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on May 05, 2019, 02:09:14 AM
Anyway my contribution to this thread is Frank Zappa because he seemed like a sanctimonious tosser

Ian Penman's evisceration of Uncle Frank and his work caused a bit of a stir among Zappa fans at the time.

http://e-limbo.org/articulo.php/Art/1259

Personally I've never been able to get one with the vast body of his stuff due to the sexual creepiness that pervades a lot of it. The fact one of the Mothers Of Invention was an actual paedophile doesn't help. I tend to stick to the instrumental stuff like "Hot Rats" as it means I don't have to endure his awful sense of humour.

I also get the impression he treated Beefheart and the other musicians he worked with like his own private freakshow, "Come see my collection of weirdos, kids!"

the science eel

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on May 05, 2019, 11:26:39 PM
Kim Fowley. Just been reading about the odious Bob Markley from the West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band and I never realised the two were linked. *shudders*

Then there's the usual Jim Morrison, Eric Clapton and John Lennon. Status Quo are/ were cunts too.

Fowley/Markley for sure. Those three fellas - debatable.

But Status Quo? What/why?

the science eel

Quote from: Phil_A on May 06, 2019, 10:05:31 AM
Ian Penman's evisceration of Uncle Frank and his work caused a bit of a stir among Zappa fans at the time.

http://e-limbo.org/articulo.php/Art/1259

Personally I've never been able to get one with the vast body of his stuff due to the sexual creepiness that pervades a lot of it. The fact one of the Mothers Of Invention was an actual paedophile doesn't help. I tend to stick to the instrumental stuff like "Hot Rats" as it means I don't have to endure his awful sense of humour.

I also get the impression he treated Beefheart and the other musicians he worked with like his own private freakshow, "Come see my collection of weirdos, kids!"

Agree completely with what you and what Penman say.

I still enjoy bits of those first three Mothers albums (and some of Hot Rats too), but that leaves more than two decades of worthless, self-indulgent crap.

If you go for the old line about the best music being full of love in some form (it's a McCartney viewpoint but I've read it expressed eloquently elsewhere) then Zappa did nothing well.

grassbath

Yeah, Zappa was an arsehole. Wanted to have it both ways - ramming it down everyone's throats that pop culture was shallow and meaningless and if your average American wasn't so stupid we'd all walk around listening to Edgar Varese, but also a staunch defender of the economic principles which caused that same flood of tat. Whatever side his audience came down on, he was able to condescend, which was convenient given that was about the only tone he was able to strike in his songwriting.

I remember watching a clip of him on a chat show debating with Arsenio Hall in the late 80s about love songs - claims he doesn't like them. Arsenio cites the passion and intensity of a lyric from a Luther Vandross tune - 'let me hold you tight, if only for one night - doesn't that make you feel something?' And Zappa, bristling at the studio audience's agreement, goes 'no, he's a fake. Why doesn't he say what he REALLY wants to do to that girl?' Which says it all really - that for Frank, metaphor and implication and nuance equal selling out, and the sacred and profane at play in the love song should in the name of authenticity be reduced to STD jokes and misogyny.

Pauline Walnuts

I've aways thought that he removed the original bass and drums off the remasters of early mothers stuff was because he wanted to stiff the original players out of their performance royalties, and all that 'oh, the tapes were damaged, lol' was a lie.

Sure one was a wrong un, but, err...

Also...

Traditionally it's been song writers who express their loneness, or at least pity at those who are weak and without love. Frank sneers at people with good hair who need love.

Quote from: Frank Zappa
Disco boy! Run to toilet and comb your hair.
Disco boy! Pucker your lip, and check your shoulders,
'cause some dandruff might be hiding there.
Disco boy, your the disco king, aw the
disco thing made you think someday that you
just might go somewhere.
Disco girl, you're outa sight, you need a
disco boy, to treat you right.
He'll do a little dance, take you home tonight.
Leave his hair alone, but you can kiss his comb.
Disco boy! Run to toilet and comb your hair.
Disco boy! Shake it more than three times and you're
playing with it while you're standing there.
Disco boy, do the bump every night, 'til the disco girl
who's really right, gonna fall for your line,
and feed you a box full of chicken delight.
Disco chit-chat so demure,
pump that booty all across the floor.
A disco drink, a disco wink,
you never go duty that's what you think.
You never go duty that's what you think.
You never go duty that's what you think.
Duty. Go duty!
Duty. Go duty!
Duty. You never go duty.
Duty. You never go duty.
Duty. You never go duty.
Duty. You never go duty.
You never duty. Go duty.
Duty. You never duty.
Disco boy! You got one more chance, to comb your hair again.
Disco boy! They're closing the bar, and she's
leaving with your friend.
Disco boy, that's the way it goes, so wipe your nose, and
try it again, to get a little lay tomorrow.
Disco boy, no one understands, but thank the lord that you
still got hands, to help you do that jerkin' that'll
blot out your disco sorrow.
It's disco love tonight. Make sure you look alright.
It's disco love tonight. Make sure you look alright.

I've always taken this specific example as someone having a go a Morrissey in 'How Soon is Now?'

errr.. Good.

biggytitbo

Cliff Richards for the reasons nobody is allowed to state due to his powerful legal team.

Phil_A

I find Zappa incredibly frustrating, as so many people I respect are massively influenced by him, and you can see why for the generation that grew up buying his albums he must've seemed like a voice of sanity in a world of bullshit. But held up to the light it becomes all too plain how corrosive his philosophy was, and how he was incapable of turning that lens on himself and admitting his own flaws.

Quote from: grassbath on May 06, 2019, 11:31:16 AM
Yeah, Zappa was an arsehole. Wanted to have it both ways - ramming it down everyone's throats that pop culture was shallow and meaningless and if your average American wasn't so stupid we'd all walk around listening to Edgar Varese, but also a staunch defender of the economic principles which caused that same flood of tat. Whatever side his audience came down on, he was able to condescend, which was convenient given that was about the only tone he was able to strike in his songwriting.

I remember watching a clip of him on a chat show debating with Arsenio Hall in the late 80s about love songs - claims he doesn't like them. Arsenio cites the passion and intensity of a lyric from a Luther Vandross tune - 'let me hold you tight, if only for one night - doesn't that make you feel something?' And Zappa, bristling at the studio audience's agreement, goes 'no, he's a fake. Why doesn't he say what he REALLY wants to do to that girl?' Which says it all really - that for Frank, metaphor and implication and nuance equal selling out, and the sacred and profane at play in the love song should in the name of authenticity be reduced to STD jokes and misogyny.

I read about one of his biographers sneering at Henry Cow and other RIO bands for caring about something other than profit, that's not a quote from the man himself but it does seems a typical of the cynical mentality he fostered that refuses to believe anyone in the music biz isn't just interested in making money and getting laid.

the ouch cube

Just for a bit of balance I've always found Zappa even at his worst to be far, far less insufferable than Ian Penman, who is a pompous little ponce of the first order. Trying to listen to, say, 'Thing-Fish' all the way through is a painful experience but no more so than wading through IP's appallingly self-regarding prose.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: the science eel on May 06, 2019, 11:09:51 AM
Fowley/Markley for sure. Those three fellas - debatable.

But Status Quo? What/why?

Just seem to be wankers. Apartheid supporting wankers.

the ouch cube

Oh, and my contribution is Ginger Baker; sure he's good at the drumming (Masters Of Reality's 'Sunrise On The Sufferbus' FTW), but would anyone sane actually want to go anywhere near him?

Dr Rock

I suppose Ike Turner deserves a mention...

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Cilla Black was notoriously rude to people who weren't fortunate enough to be as rich and famous as she was.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on May 07, 2019, 05:44:14 PM
Cilla Black was notoriously rude to people who weren't fortunate enough to be as rich and famous as she was.

I heard she insisted on white taxi drivers.

the science eel

and flight attendants couldn't look her in the eye

Phil_A

Quote from: Dr Rock on May 07, 2019, 05:33:21 PM
I suppose Ike Turner deserves a mention...

Yes, Ike was a scumbag

James Brown was also a woman-beating cunt.

grassbath

Quote from: the ouch cube on May 07, 2019, 05:19:57 PM
Oh, and my contribution is Ginger Baker; sure he's good at the drumming (Masters Of Reality's 'Sunrise On The Sufferbus' FTW), but would anyone sane actually want to go anywhere near him?

God, yeah. Complete lunatic. Watched that 'Beware Mr Baker' doc a few months ago - in appearance and personality, he's genuinely Satanic, from the fiery-eyebrowed acid satyr of the early days to rotting in his chair in Nigeria, oozing spite, the occasional memory of physically assaulting a fellow musician raising a bronchitic cackle.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Donovan. He's always struck me as a man who isn't quite all there, and his songs are shit, and I don't like his hair or his shoes.

non capisco

Sin Agog

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on May 07, 2019, 10:52:42 PM
Donovan. He's always struck me as a man who isn't quite all there, and his songs are shit, and I don't like his hair or his shoes.

HMS Donovan is a bit of a proto-twee masterpiece, I reckon.  As a person, though, he is on a weird Omen [man]child bandwidth, though I love him anyway.  When I saw him at Glastonbury a few years back he referred to my mum, after she juggled for him, as 'a psychedelic pawnshop.' Almost felt the need to defend her honour with fisticuffs before I remembered what a pawnshop was.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I don't get his meaning there. Is he suggesting your mum is a vessel for the buying and selling of second hand psychedelia? You should definitely have paggered him. What shoes was he wearing? I bet they were crap.

Sin Agog

I think he said that because her L.E.D. juggling clubs were all the way at the bottom of her bag and they were probably the least interesting things in it.

Not sure about his shoes.  Plimsolls, maybe? I do know he looked none too pleased when I caught some flowers he threw off the stage, most likely aiming at some Baby Boomer Cougar but getting me instead.

Donovan's sense of brittle self-importance is hilarious, but I think it's based on the fact that people unfairly took the piss out of him for years. He's a genuinely talented songwriter and musician, a pioneer in the field of psychedelia, but to most folk he's dismissed as a Dylan copyist.

He was 'the British Dylan' for about six months in 1965. After that he became, well, Donovan. Yes, he embraced flower power to such an extent that he's basically the epitome of stoned, kaftan-wearing whimsy, but I'd be a bit pissed off too if I directly influenced The Beatles while being thought of as some sort of silly hippie novelty act.

He is a tit, though, but I do love his music.

Hurdy Gurdy Man is a heavy lysergic monster of a tune.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86Us-k5n8Vw

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 07, 2019, 05:49:21 PM
I heard she insisted on white taxi drivers.

That was Lennie Peters, although...

Donovan taught Lennon the technique that produced 'Dear Prudence' and 'Julia' so is forgiven being a prick.

PaulTMA

Did anyone watch that recent Sky Arts documentary concerning Donavan's return to India?  A whiff of the old Dave Clark doc about it, all things considered, if not quite on that level.  I put him up there with undoubtedly talented people, like Ray Manzerek or Billy Corgan, who have been known to suffer greatly from the consequences of being incurable roasters.