Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 06:21:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Is No man's sky any good these days?

Started by Kryton, May 04, 2019, 02:42:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mobius

Quote from: Fishfinger on August 15, 2019, 12:03:58 AM
It's mostly a multiplayer update. If you don't care about that stuff don't bother. Otherwise, give it a few patches and see.

Cheers buddy, yeah think I'll give it a miss.

My main issue really is that I found with the PS4 version, I'd have to reset the console every few hours cus it'd gradually get more and more laggy. Especially when building/hanging around near my base. I had to purposely build a small shite base so my PS4 didn't blow up.

I just started and I can't seem to stop dying. Is there any secret to keeping your life support going? I'm on the second planet and I'm fucked if I can find oxygen in any decent quantity. Every time I blast off to try and find a clump of red plants, I have to keep replenishing the launch thrusters which means I'm running out of life support trying to get enough fuel to take off again.

surreal

If you have the Analysis Visor scanner you can find oxygen as a secondary element in plants or rocks sometimes.  Same with Dioxite which can also be used to charge the oxygen.   You should be able to scan around and it shows you where the nearest plants are for each element.

I've been trying that but the planet seems utterly bereft of oxygen-rich plants. Maybe I need to fuck off elsewhere and stockpile.

Thursday

Tried getting back into it and it crashed. So nahhh.

Kryton

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on August 16, 2019, 11:26:02 AM
I just started and I can't seem to stop dying. Is there any secret to keeping your life support going? I'm on the second planet and I'm fucked if I can find oxygen in any decent quantity. Every time I blast off to try and find a clump of red plants, I have to keep replenishing the launch thrusters which means I'm running out of life support trying to get enough fuel to take off again.

Restart again and hope you don't get a shitty planet. There's lots of variables like initial temperature, weather frequencies, hazardous temperature, sentinel aggression, climate, creature type/aggression etc.

Alberon

I think it's more than just a multiplayer update. The new technology blueprints look interesting and I've got to try riding the wildlife.

Multiplayer seems to have been patched so it doesn't lag so much or crash.

I've found a verdant moon that doesn't have aggressive sentinels and I'm working towards a more efficient mining laser and the new power generator modules for my base at the moment.

surreal

They seem to have fucked up some basics again with the update.  My keys were unmapped, and now they've done that annoying thing where you can't pick certain keys for things - I'm really weird about key layouts, I never got used to WASD so I always have to remap and now it won't let me set things like the "\" key for no apparent reason.  Sure it will get sorted but I'm leaving it for a bit until it does

Fishfinger

Yup, I play it on console but it's not dissimilar. There are plenty of positives, but also many retrograde steps. All previous major updates have been like this.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Kryton on August 16, 2019, 06:25:14 PM
Restart again and hope you don't get a shitty planet.

Just started playing this and I have got a shitty planet. A rotting planet to be precise. One with a toxic atmosphere. Playing on Survival mode and dying every four seconds. And loving it!

Why did no-one tell me how like Subnautica this was? ;)

Mobius

I MIGHT be wrong but I am fairly sure your first planet is always shit and has storms. It's to teach you to find shelter and give you a reason to fuck off from there.

there's a newer NMS thread here by the way :) https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,81535.0.html

peanutbutter

How's this as a VR experience? Is it too time engrossing to work?