Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:55:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Comic book panels or pages you love

Started by Mister Six, May 04, 2019, 11:11:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mister Six

Come on, let's have a good gawp at some lovely comics pages - whether it's because of great art, moving writing or just a really good gag.

Just, er, maybe avoid any spoilers, eh?

Here's some spectacular Steve Pugh art from Animal Man #51 to start us off, with Buddy Baker's soul roaming the lands of the recently dead.

PlanktonSideburns

Lovely idea. I don't read much comics, so I'll just be enjoying your bits instead

Really loved the artwork in From Hell, those depictions of the miserable bleakness of victorian style poverty were ace

chveik

Small Man Big Horse

This is a great idea, and funnily enough two of my favourites are from Steve Pugh, but this is Jeff Lemire's run on Animal Man rather than Delano's and from (I think) issue 5.

Also:

More tomorrow when I'll go through some of my favourite series.

Sin Agog

Rizla

Mister Six

Ha! Good to see Jason up there. I never much liked I Killed Adolf Hitler, but he has a way with deadpan humour. Love the grisliness of  the face-chomping in Animal Man, too!

And you can't beat a bit of Kirby. Would be great if people can name where the pics are from, to make it easier for interested parties to dig up.

I'll have to find some more stuff soon. In the meantime here's a page from All-Star Superman we've all seen before but I am always happy to see again:

Consignia

If you could summarise an entire series in a a single panel, I don't think you can do better than this:

Phil_A

Art by Jaime Hernandez, Love & Rockets #1

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Mister Six on May 05, 2019, 01:04:06 AM
Ha! Good to see Jason up there. I never much liked I Killed Adolf Hitler, but he has a way with deadpan humour. Love the grisliness of  the face-chomping in Animal Man, too!

And you can't beat a bit of Kirby. Would be great if people can name where the pics are from, to make it easier for interested parties to dig up.

That's a good idea, here's mine:

1 - I Killed Hitler by Jason
2 - Batman Incorporated 1 (Morrison)
3 - Doom Patrol 34 (Morrison run)
4 - Marvel Boy Vol. 2, 5  (Morrison again)
5 - The October Faction (Issue unknown, Steve Niles)
6 - Thor (2018, issue unknown, Jason Aaron)

I love that one from All-Star Superman btw, it reminds me of just how good Morrison is when it comes to writing Supes.

magval

Any chance of crediting the artists lads?

Sin Agog

Mine was from the masterpiece that is Ed The Happy Clown.

chveik

Charles Burns, Toxic

Rosinski, Le Grand pouvoir du Chninkel

David B., L'Ascension du Haut-Mal

Consignia

I think this is my favourite panel of Megg and Mogg in Amsterdam by Simon Hanselmann (or possibly anything ever):

kalowski

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Consignia on May 05, 2019, 01:36:34 AM
If you could summarise an entire series in a a single panel, I don't think you can do better than this:

It's a series about people eating spicy foods?

Brundle-Fly

As a kid, this image took my breath away when I turned the page.

Judge Dredd - Judge Death Lives - Brian Bolland 1981

Mister Six

Phil_A

The Journal Of Luke Kirby recently got reprinted for the first time, some of John Ridgway's best work.

kidsick5000

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on May 05, 2019, 04:56:31 PM
As a kid, this image took my breath away when I turned the page.

Judge Dredd - Judge Death Lives - Brian Bolland 1981

Beautiful

kidsick5000

Not an amazing splash page, but one of the smartest, most mind-blowing moments I experienced as an early teen.
Spoilers.
Teams of Brit heroes, nostalgics plays on classic UK adventure characters, have been dispatched to different dimensions to destroy some, prevent a dimensional alignment that will allow old gods, the LLoigor from manifesting.
Then Thunderbolt Jaxon, whose belt gives him the power of Thor only for the purposes of good say the belt isn't working.
It's such a small moment it's easily glossed over, especially since concentration shifts to more immediate issues.
But on the second read in the week waiting for the next part, the twist played huge.

Steve Yeowell was on fire for this era of Zenith. He'd switch from a standard detailed style of illustration to this more stark chiaroscuro style.
This made the action scenes really pop in the BW pages.
Sadly the following series, he'd softened his style, using more lines than blocks of black - possibly to accommodate the pages moving to colour.
But this series - collected as Phase 3 – is about as awesome as things get

taking this opportunity to enthuse about my boy Howard Chaykin

American Flagg! (1983) Writer/Artist: Howard Chaykin, Letterer: Ken Bruzenak

The Shadow: Blood and Judgement (1987) Writer/Artist: Howard Chaykin, Letterer: Ken Bruzenak, Colorist: Alex Wald

Black Kiss 2 (2012) Writer/Artist: Howard Chaykin, Letterer: Ken Bruzenak

Satellite Sam (2013) Writer: Matt Fraction, Artist: Howard Chaykin, Letterer: Ken Bruzenak

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: kidsick5000 on May 05, 2019, 06:04:03 PM
Not an amazing splash page, but one of the smartest, most mind-blowing moments I experienced as an early teen.
Spoilers.
Teams of Brit heroes, nostalgics plays on classic UK adventure characters, have been dispatched to different dimensions to destroy some, prevent a dimensional alignment that will allow old gods, the LLoigor from manifesting.
Then Thunderbolt Jaxon, whose belt gives him the power of Thor only for the purposes of good say the belt isn't working.
It's such a small moment it's easily glossed over, especially since concentration shifts to more immediate issues.
But on the second read in the week waiting for the next part, the twist played huge.

I was planning on posting some Zenith, like you say Steve Yeowell was amazing on the series, it's his best work and I love all of it a ridiculous amount. My friend has the limited edition hardback edition and every day I struggle not to break in and steal it.

Danger Man

A page from GTO.

It means a lot to me because I lived in the building in the background.

Gregory Torso

I think about this comic panel a lot.

Gregory Torso

edit: those are not comcis you fucking idiot.

Gregory Torso

Actual comics now, I like KC Green, he is good.