Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:13:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Older musicians who are ageing well

Started by TheMonk, May 04, 2019, 11:41:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

I saw David Byrne last year, he looks his age but he's still got it; I'm half his age and couldn't pull off what he does without collapsing.

alan nagsworth

I dunno, I'd say the decision to perform that shit song he did with Fatboy Slim is definitely indicative of some sort of old person brain wrong.

Sebastian Cobb

Yeah but then he did all that stuff with St Vincent so swings and roundabouts.

Johnboy

Richard Thompson still has the chops

Hey, Punk!

Quote from: alan nagsworth on May 06, 2019, 02:11:53 PM
I dunno, I'd say the decision to perform that shit song he did with Fatboy Slim is definitely indicative of some sort of old person brain wrong.

Track was a little lethargic, a little inert, torpid you could say?

Jockice

Quote from: Mr Banlon on May 06, 2019, 02:53:29 AM
Roger Daltrey looks pretty decent for 75.
Shame he's such a berk.

I heard an interview with him on Five Live yesterday and thought he came over okay. Surprisingly because I've always thought The Who were the most overrrated band ever (even more so than The Stone Roses) and every member they've ever had is or was a dick.

holyzombiejesus

I saw Sonic Boom play a year or so back and whilst he's only in his mid-50s, he was incredibly handsome considering what his body has been through.

Norton Canes

Marty Wilde was singing live on some Radio 2 show the other day, not sounding a bit of his 80 years.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Johnboy on May 07, 2019, 12:18:51 AM
Richard Thompson still has the chops

Nick Lowe too, but he looks fucking ancient.

SteveDave

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on May 07, 2019, 10:51:38 AM
I saw Sonic Boom play a year or so back and whilst he's only in his mid-50s, he was incredibly handsome considering what his body has been through.

I saw him around then too. A wonderful advert for the preservative qualities of heroin.

Pauline Walnuts

Meredith Monk's looking good for 76.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: SteveDave on May 07, 2019, 03:14:59 PM
I saw him around then too. A wonderful advert for the preservative qualities of heroin.

He had a tan and smiled.

chveik

NoSleep

Quote from: chveik on May 08, 2019, 02:55:09 PM
Terry Riley

Fuck, yeah. Saw him perform last month and, at 83, he was firing on all cylinders; a genuine virtuoso performance. His son, Gyan (aged 41-42) was having difficulty keeping up with him.

Epic Bisto

Same here, but I thought his son tried his best and did some interesting stuff.  They played a fair chunk of "A Rainbow In Curved Air" too.

Quote from: Jockice on May 07, 2019, 07:00:50 AM
every member they've ever had is or was a dick.

Which band are we talking about again?

Epic Bisto

Add Ian Hunter to the list.  He's roughly a decade older than most of his Mott comrades, and he still looks rugged and cool.  Two years younger than yer man Riley and still rocking.

Nowhere Man

I've always thought The Who were the most overrrated band ever and every member they've ever had is or was a dick.

Blimey, even Kenney Jones?

the Small Faces got a pretty raw deal back in the day, poor old Kenney's the only one left now.

MidnightShambler

I heard an interview with him on Five Live yesterday and thought he came over okay. Surprisingly because I've always thought The Who were the most overrrated band ever (even more so than The Stone Roses) and every member they've ever had is or was a dick.

Me too. The Who just bore me to tears, loads of people in my social circles over the years have been massive fans but I just can't get along with it. It doesn't offend me or make me turn it off immediately, I just can't see what the fuss is all about.

MidnightShambler

Oh and Pete Wylie is one who definitely isn't ageing well. I had a pint with him the other week and he looks like he's about to burst.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Epic Bisto on May 08, 2019, 05:40:38 PM
Add Ian Hunter to the list.  He's roughly a decade older than most of his Mott comrades, and he still looks rugged and cool.  Two years younger than yer man Riley and still rocking.
They played Manchester recently, and I remember seeing the poster and thinking "Ian Hunter can't be in the band, he'll be knocking 80 on the door soon enough". But he was, and given they were only playing the Academy (as opposed to the Arena), I'm assuming they weren't living it up in some luxury hotel, so fair fucks to him for putting up with that level of touring at his age. Maybe he just doesn't know anything else?

Quote from: MidnightShambler on May 08, 2019, 06:18:20 PM
Oh and Pete Wylie is one who definitely isn't ageing well. I had a pint with him the other week and he looks like he's about to burst.
I interviewed his contemporary Paul Simpson a few years back and thought he looked fantastic. Had a bit of a a crush on him, to be honest, but then so did my girlfriend of the time, so no jealously issues.

Mr Banlon

Joyce.
She's 71, and her voice is still as beautiful as it was 45 years ago. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sUiISdJhwo

famethrowa

Quote from: Mr Banlon on May 08, 2019, 08:38:48 PM
Joyce.
She's 71, and her voice is still as beautiful as it was 45 years ago. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sUiISdJhwo

Is that the same "Joyce" who features on thousands of "those bad album cover" lists and looks like Tootsie? Surely not.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Dr Sanchez on May 05, 2019, 01:47:22 AM
Springsteen is 70 this year and looks fit and well.

Stewart Lee looking well

NoSleep

Quote from: famethrowa on May 09, 2019, 02:58:06 AM
Is that the same "Joyce" who features on thousands of "those bad album cover" lists and looks like Tootsie? Surely not.

Different (and far superior) Joyce (pronounced Joyc-ee as they do in Brazil). Had better album covers, too.

a duncandisorderly

Ferris

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on May 10, 2019, 04:48:44 AM
jeff beck.

I thought this the other day after googling him for the Spinal Tap thread.

That hair.

holyzombiejesus

Stephen Pastel's pushing 60.

He's not really changed that much on the last 40 years.

Technique

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on May 10, 2019, 05:06:51 AM
I thought this the other day after googling him for the Spinal Tap thread.

That hair.

His hair is incredible for a man in his 70s.

A cockney friend of mine who knows about these things, tells me Jeff Beck's hair is so good due to his  fondness of syrup of figs. A habit he shares with several past and present members of Deep Purple, a habit Art Garfunkel has recently abandoned to slaphead-happy results.

a duncandisorderly

thurston moore's let himself go a bit but-