Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 12:54:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Older musicians who are ageing well

Started by TheMonk, May 04, 2019, 11:41:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jobotic

Thanks for that Joyce song Mr Banlon.

Ive always thought since I first heard it. that this is one of the most joyous things ever.

https://youtu.be/J2x0JtEFKXg

Natnar

Marcella Detroit is looking pretty good for someone who will be 67 next month.

Phil_A

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on May 10, 2019, 09:36:40 PM
thurston moore's let himself go a bit but-

Ha, he's turned into Reggie Perrin's son-in-law:

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Erm....That's clearly not Thurston Moore, dude.

flotemysost

Quote from: SteveDave on May 07, 2019, 03:14:59 PM
A wonderful advert for the preservative qualities of heroin.

There are probably enough examples to warrant a separate thread in itself, but smack does seem to be a sort of elixir of youth for some, doesn't it?

Anthony Kiedis is 56 so he's hardly ancient, but he has a sort of glow about him that you wouldn't necessarily associate with being a middle-aged former junkie. Although the 'tache and glasses he's been sporting of late make him look a bit like a creepy college lecturer.

Dr Sanchez

Quote from: flotemysost on May 12, 2019, 04:25:41 PM
There are probably enough examples to warrant a separate thread in itself, but smack does seem to be a sort of elixir of youth for some, doesn't it?

Anthony Kiedis is 56 so he's hardly ancient, but he has a sort of glow about him that you wouldn't necessarily associate with being a middle-aged former junkie. Although the 'tache and glasses he's been sporting of late make him look a bit like a creepy college lecturer.

I think a lot of it is down to these ex junkies living extremely clean lives and getting into fitness after rehab. No fags, drugs, booze or junk food would give you a decent glow I'd say.

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on May 10, 2019, 09:36:40 PM
thurston moore's let himself go a bit but-

I laughed...for four minutes and 33 seconds

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on May 10, 2019, 03:56:30 PM

Stephen Pastel's pushing 60.

He's not really changed that much on the last 40 years.

Yeah, that's quite remarkable, he's barely aged at all. I often see him knocking - shambling? - about Mono in Glasgow, and he could pass for a bloke in his early to mid forties. Stuart Murdoch looks good for his age too.

I wish I was a fey Scottish indie musician, I'd probably look 15 years younger than I actually am.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on May 12, 2019, 01:54:34 PM
Erm....That's clearly not Thurston Moore, dude.

special k got it though.

actually I goggled for pics of thoiston & JC popped up, looking a bit like mr moore, so up it went.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on May 12, 2019, 06:38:40 PM
I wish I was a fey Scottish indie musician, I'd probably look 15 years younger than I actually am.

Not necessarily...

And as good as Stuart M may look, I feel that we're going to be seeing a lot more photos of him wearing hats.

Twed

Ann Wilson is 61 here (I think), and obvs hasn't had the healthiest life:

Twed

Quote from: NoSleep on May 09, 2019, 05:52:18 AM
Different (and far superior) Joyce (pronounced Joyc-ee as they do in Brazil). Had better album covers, too.

Giles Peterson used to champion her in the early 90's - she had some fantastic albums IIRC.

There was one track that used to get played at all those kind of do's, can't remember the title though.

Quote from: jobotic on May 10, 2019, 09:43:03 PM

Ive always thought since I first heard it. that this is one of the most joyous things ever.

Could well have been this one.

Edit The Wikipedia entry for the album confirms it was this (I remember the cover from my friend's record collection - she was beautiful), thanks for posting.

Shaky

Terry Hall has aged a fair bit since I last really looked at him but he could easily pass for a decade or two younger than 60.

Nowhere Man

Quote from: Shaky on May 14, 2019, 03:12:49 AM
Terry Hall has aged a fair bit since I last really looked at him but he could easily pass for a decade or two younger than 60.

Jarvis on the other hand..

Nah, he looks alright too, his fringe is just getting a bit too thin for that look

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on May 12, 2019, 09:20:05 PM
Not necessarily...

And as good as Stuart M may look, I feel that we're going to be seeing a lot more photos of him wearing hats.

Oh sure, Stuart M has been balding for years. He doesn't look like a man in his early fifties, though. And I shan't hear a word against dear old Duglas...

Quote from: Nowhere Man on May 14, 2019, 08:43:00 PM
Nah, he looks alright too, his fringe is just getting a bit too thin for that look

Yeah, Jarvis just needs a more flattering haircut. He's in good, skinny nick for a man of his age.

Nowhere Man

Brian Wilson doesn't look too terrible in 2019 considering how fucked up his mental state has been this last 40-50 years. Although I may just be thinking about that great head of hair he has.

For reference, this is how he looked at the start of the 80s

poodlefaker

Quote from: MidnightShambler on May 08, 2019, 06:18:20 PM
Oh and Pete Wylie is one who definitely isn't ageing well. I had a pint with him the other week and he looks like he's about to burst.

Liver as big as Hartlepool, as Julian Cope said.

Sin Agog

Quote from: jobotic on May 10, 2019, 09:43:03 PM

Nelson Angelo Y Joyce is one of my favourite Brazilian albums.  Nelson's arrangements are terrific, but Joyce made the thing absolutely dreamy.  https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m9X6vnyKYuA

wosl

Lord Mandrake

Quote from: Nowhere Man on May 14, 2019, 08:43:00 PM
Jarvis on the other hand..

I often see Jarvis Cocker, walking his dog in Ravenscourt park or getting off the tube at Ladbroke grove. Paul Weller looks good, saw him at lunch time on Portobello.

Ok cheers

the science eel

Weller's got the ruddy complexion of a serious boozer now. Topped off with that white hair - shocker. I wouldn't say he looked good at all.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: the science eel on May 15, 2019, 09:20:37 PM
Weller's got the ruddy complexion of a serious boozer now. Topped off with that white hair - shocker. I wouldn't say he looked good at all.

this... never gets old, unlike its subjects.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on May 16, 2019, 05:22:34 PM

The bar manager in my old local was a jam fan, she'd have been in her 40's, she had peroxide hair and used the sunbeds so much she was verging on mahogany. As she got older her hair got a shorter and she started looking scarily like her idol Paul Weller.

pupshaw

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on May 16, 2019, 05:22:34 PM

Little bit of a Savile visage on the right there