Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,187
  • Total Topics: 106,349
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:45:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Good Pitchfork-Style Music Sites That Aren’t Pitchfork

Started by Peru, May 05, 2019, 01:06:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peru

Visited Pitchfork for years but it seems to have gone severely off the boil recently-the site design is absolutely horrible and full of 'having an IPA with Bon Iver' and such garbage. On a mobile it's almost impossible to read. Any suggestions for other sites with similar coverage?

Norton Canes

I guess the most Pitchfork-like-but-good ones I look at regularly are The Line Of Best Fit and The 405.

Would like to know about any sites that regularly review a big range of electronic music, rather than concentrating on one genre such as dance/IDM etc.

Bazooka

Gorilla vs Bear is pretty good, Stereogum used to be good, Consequence of Sound.

Yeah pitchfork is utter dredge these days.

Schnapple

Quote from: Norton Canes on May 07, 2019, 10:55:01 AM
Would like to know about any sites that regularly review a big range of electronic music, rather than concentrating on one genre such as dance/IDM etc.

It's more club-scene focused, but Resident Advisor will turn you on to lots of decent electronic music.

popcorn

I thought Pitchfork had long since stopped putting out the sort of writing that people make fun of them for, but here's a bit from a recent article: "At first it sounded clunky, like a witchy cat sauntering across a piano. One key hammered ominously. Out of nowhere, a minor flourish scuttled free and disappeared in a dark flurry. The cat resumed its manic prowl, occasionally touching on a scatty motif I had internalized without realizing it."

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Schnapple on May 07, 2019, 12:01:49 PM
It's more club-scene focused, but Resident Advisor will turn you on to lots of decent electronic music.

Yep, and AFAIK Crack and FACT are both still pretty good places for it.

I've always been a big fan of The Quietus. Their writing can often be hilariously snarky but they cover a really eclectic range and generally speaking their broad tastes are always interesting.

Funcrusher

Resident Adviser and FACT have some decent content, links to mixes and news and suchlike.

jobotic

Xlr8r have good mixes too but can't I've read much on there.

sevendaughters

Quote from: alan nagsworth on May 07, 2019, 04:06:21 PM
I've always been a big fan of The Quietus. Their writing can often be hilariously snarky but they cover a really eclectic range and generally speaking their broad tastes are always interesting.

Seems like their output has drastically slowed down. I used to troll their comments like a total wanker, a real shame spot in my online history (see also: 1999-2010)

Z

Quote from: popcorn on May 07, 2019, 03:59:47 PM
I thought Pitchfork had long since stopped putting out the sort of writing that people make fun of them for, but here's a bit from a recent article: "At first it sounded clunky, like a witchy cat sauntering across a piano. One key hammered ominously. Out of nowhere, a minor flourish scuttled free and disappeared in a dark flurry. The cat resumed its manic prowl, occasionally touching on a scatty motif I had internalized without realizing it."
They did but the Conde Nast acquisition in 2016 has led to a pretty big decline once again.
These days it feels like someone my age who is trying desperately to remain cool with college students and failing miserably