Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,185
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 767
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:58:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Tuca and Bertie

Started by Fambo Number Mive, May 05, 2019, 06:15:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

Has anyone starting watching this on Netflix? I'm on episode 5 so far and I'm really enjoying it, it's a bit like Bojack Horseman in using animals-living-as-people but it's not as bleak. It's very funny and I think Bertie is awesome (Tuca is a bit selfish and annoying at times).

Moribunderast

Was excited for it - tried to watch last night and gave up after 10 minutes. The tone just wasn't working for me and while I wasn't hating it, it didn't make me laugh at all. Will be interested in hearing if others say it picks up with familiarity after watching more episodes.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I don't think I can help, as I liked it from the beginning. I'm also experiencing my typical Netflix binge watch effect, with individual episodes all blurring into each other, but I'm enjoying it a lot.

I feel like I've seen certain plotlines many times - particularly Bertie's crush on the baker - but it's all played with such pep that it's difficult to get too bothered. I like the fact that it's willing to get more experimental with the visual style than most animated sitcoms.

up_the_hampipe

I like the experimental visuals as well, but it's a tad tryhard quirky for me at times. It also seems to have an identity problem, like they don't know what kind of show they want it to be. I like Tiffany Haddish, but Tuca does indeed seem to be pretty annoying. I can see it wearing thin. A few good gags in there though, couple o'chuckles.

McFlymo

Some of the styling is a bit cringey, such as the big titles and whacky sound effects bombarding scenes that otherwise aren't very funny, but i like that it's not, yet another bleak Netflix dystopian thing, well, so far anyway... who knows how the season will develop, we could be onto The OA levels of multiple story arcs and multidimensional dancing by the end. I am enjoying it because I'm not investing too much into it, it's fun and dealing with relationships in a not-too-heavy way that's easy on my brain.

On the flip side, is this just another crushing example of the infantilisation of modern humanity and proof that we're so incapable of facing adult responsibilities and behaviour that we're losing ourselves in silly cartoons and convincing ourselves that it's appropriate?

But then again, is that part of what makes it so clever? Aaaaaaahhhhh... No.

Bently Sheds

Could only stomach 10 minutes of it. Too self conciously wacky for me. Any show that has to use PowerPoint slides with bullet points describing the characters' traits can get to fuck.

It's like Adventure Time for late twenty somethings.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Moribunderast on May 05, 2019, 10:29:56 PM
Was excited for it - tried to watch last night and gave up after 10 minutes. The tone just wasn't working for me and while I wasn't hating it, it didn't make me laugh at all. Will be interested in hearing if others say it picks up with familiarity after watching more episodes.

I was struggling after ten minutes as well and thought it just might not be for me, but then it picked up a lot, Tuca became a lot less annoying and it was far more imaginative, so I'd recommend watching the rest of it. Though if by the end it's not for you I'd completely understand.

ajsmith2

Quote from: Bently Sheds on May 06, 2019, 03:32:31 PM

It's like Adventure Time for late twenty somethings.

I thought Adventure Time was already mainly for late twenty somethings!

I like T&B a lot. I like the more adventurous animation compared to Bojack's relative conservatism in that area. Have to say I detect a big John K influence with the crazed motion of the duo in the intro, the hyperreal cutaways, the dilated-pupil puppydog eyes thing etc.. I know he's been cancelled and all that but it's there, plain as pie.

McFlymo

Quote from: ajsmith2 on May 07, 2019, 11:01:38 AM
I thought Adventure Time was already mainly for late twenty somethings!

I like T&B a lot. I like the more adventurous animation compared to Bojack's relative conservatism in that area. Have to say I detect a big John K influence with the crazed motion of the duo in the intro, the hyperreal cutaways, the dilated-pupil puppydog eyes thing etc.. I know he's been cancelled and all that but it's there, plain as pie.

In the very first episode there was that "hyperreal cutaway" sting, but instead of cutting away, the tone just changed. That irked me a bit, because it seemed like such an obvious reference to R&S, but without the actual effort of a detailed close-up drawing. Still though, I've just finished Episode 7 of this and I think it's surprisingly heart warming and well written. The story is doing some predictable stuff (temptation outside the main relationship, best friends falling out) but I'm just giving in and enjoying the cheesiness and quirkiness of it all. I guess it fills the hole where most people probably have your average sitcoms. I also very much like the music! It's odd to hear stuff that's so dancey and electronic in this sort of show. I approve!

Captain Z

Like Bojack Horseman on acid on acid.

backdrifter

I'm really enjoying it but must admit, I've barely laughed at all.

zomgmouse

This is like Broad City but with birds. Bird City.

rue the polywhirl

I tried watching the first episode and it's like a migraine on acid turned into a children's cartoon for regressive liberal San Franciscan adults. The music is intensively hyper and annoying and the visual style is really ugly - why do all the female characters have tennis ball buttcheeks and boobies, even if the're birds? And isn't Tuca, as well as being an infantile white noise of unfunny, reinforcing quite severe racial stereotypes with her nonstop honking and twerking  and all round laziness and sleaziness. I counted maybe one chuckle and that was when Speckle boyfriend character was asked to freeze and I wanted to laugh at the introduction of the character that never reappears again. Episode picked up slightly with introduction of Pastry Pete. There's bits of promise with visual gags and some unabashed cartoon zaniness but it all gets chucked out at once onto the screen in a frenzy and there is no timing or restraint whatsoever. And they flog jokes already too often. Gamby's ashes being turned into a cake - funny. Gamby asking Speckles to eat her and down a gin and tonic so she can have a party in his stomach - funny. Actually showing Gamby cake having a party in his stomach with weird artsy perspective - not funny.

madhair60

madhair60

Saw someone on Twitter lamenting the cancellation saying that Bertie "losing her shit in the grocery store" made her feel validated and I'm like aye that's what comedy should be doing, making people feel validated. fuck sake. Bring it back 10/10

hamfist

Quote from: madhair60 on July 25, 2019, 09:38:42 AM
#Cancelled

Bummer. I really liked it. Favourite part : when Tuca bursts into the cult she accidently started and yells "EVERYBODY FUCK OFF".

neveragain

Quote from: McFlymo on May 06, 2019, 11:21:24 AM
On the flip side, is this just another crushing example of the infantilisation of modern humanity and proof that we're so incapable of facing adult responsibilities and behaviour that we're losing ourselves in silly cartoons and convincing ourselves that it's appropriate?

What's wrong with escapism? It's not inappropriate. Helps you wind down if anything.

Thursday

I watched about 10 minutes and found the character obnoxious and annoying. (can't remember if it was Tuca or Bertie, but she was the loud annoying one)  so I stopped, and I just felt like I instantly knew how the conflict was going to play out and get resolved.

Probably completely unfair, considering how Bojack surprised after a few episodes, but oh well.

Mister Six

Watched the first episode of this the day before it was cancelled, and thought it was all right. Liked the character comedy bits a wee bit more than the WOOOO LOUD AND CRAZY stuff, but that stuff has its place too. Sad to see it go, because it was a unique voice on telly (even if much of its tone and style was clearly influenced by web culture and comics).

That said, I am annoyed by some of the "fuck Netflix" crying I've seen on the web. Lots of people taking it personally, or as some kind of slight to all women (and especially WOMEN 👏 OF 👏
COLOUR) that this got cancelled, when it's just a case of the show not pulling in enough punters. Saw a similar hoo-hah over that Latino sitcom getting the boot too. Lots of people calling Netflix trash, even though it was the company that took a chance on such a niche show in the first place.

Quote from: McFlymo on May 06, 2019, 11:21:24 AM

But then again, is that part of what makes it so clever? Aaaaaaahhhhh... No.

Ooh, fucking get Professor Serious here. Fuck off and read an encyclopedia, granddad.

Sin Agog

Quote from: Mister Six on July 26, 2019, 03:47:48 PM
That said, I am annoyed by some of the "fuck Netflix" crying I've seen on the web. Lots of people taking it personally, or as some kind of slight to all women (and especially WOMEN 👏 OF 👏
COLOUR) that this got cancelled, when it's just a case of the show not pulling in enough punters. Saw a similar hoo-hah over that Latino sitcom getting the boot too. Lots of people calling Netflix trash, even though it was the company that took a chance on such a niche show in the first place.

Ooh, fucking get Professor Serious here. Fuck off and read an encyclopedia, granddad.

You could say that tons of the best series required their channel's patience and indulgence in order to find their audience.  Dunno about T&B- not sure it quite reached what they were aiming for- but Amazon & Netflix are starting to form the habit of seemingly making shows in order to break them.  Dunno how much prep they put into their stuff, but as someone was saying on here the other day, write some decent characters FFS.  That's why Bojack's stuck around and this hasn't.  Brassy and shy isn't really enough.

Mister Six

Quote from: Sin Agog on July 26, 2019, 03:56:53 PM
You could say that tons of the best series required their channel's patience and indulgence in order to find their audience.  Dunno about T&B- not sure it quite reached what they were aiming for- but Amazon & Netflix are starting to form the habit of seemingly making shows in order to break them. 

It doesn't seem to be cancelling much more than other networks. Not counting the Marvel stuff or Happy (which was cancelled by Syfy), I make nine this year, with a number of them having a couple of seasons at least.

Netflix doesn't want to throw away money, even if a lot of its output is a bit shit. It also have famously good data analysis teams and tools. I'm pretty sure that if they saw the potential for growth they'd pursue it.

chveik

Quote from: Sin Agog on July 26, 2019, 03:56:53 PM
You could say that tons of the best series required their channel's patience and indulgence in order to find their audience.  Dunno about T&B- not sure it quite reached what they were aiming for- but Amazon & Netflix are starting to form the habit of seemingly making shows in order to break them.  Dunno how much prep they put into their stuff, but as someone was saying on here the other day, write some decent characters FFS.  That's why Bojack's stuck around and this hasn't.  Brassy and shy isn't really enough.

HBO is revered now but they have cancelled quickly a few good and even great series in the past (Carnivàle, John from Cincinnati, Rome)

Netflix produces a shitload of series, so I guess you're more aware of it.

Mister Six

And Netflix gets more coverage online too, because their audiences are younger and more digitally focused.

(To be fair to HBO, the Rome cancellation was because the BBC pulled out if funding the series, I think in part because they fucked up with the "movie length" edit of the first two episodes that snipped out a lot of the intrigue in favour of tits.)

bgmnts

Rome could have been a perfect show to run for more than 3 or 4 seasons. One of those big what ifs of fiction. I absolutely loved it at the time.

I absolutely adore Purefory hamming it up in it, especially this scene, alongside the talented Kevin McKidd:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWnVH8x9iAM

Mister Six

Oh yeah, it was great. I really wanted to see how they were going to deal with Jesus (who would have come in around season five, I think).

And that fight with the giant fella at the end of season one (?) was class. THIRTEEN!

bgmnts

No word of a lie my family thought I was so into the show because of the lewd, gratuitous sex but I was actually just a history geek, especially antiquity. The first in a long line of perverse disappointments.

Pink Gregory

Finally gave this a try and I am *thoroughly* enjoying it.

Yes it is puerile and hyperactive, but surprisingly I'm finding it endearing, where so much of the comedy is physical rather than in dialogue (although that's nice and snappy too).

it's certainly an acquired taste but it feels refreshing.

Not much to add, fuckit post.

markburgle

I liked it but I don't know why we have to see the character's snot every time they start crying, that just grosses me out

GoblinAhFuckScary

Remember catching this and thinking fuckk another fucking animal show

steveh

Just cancelled by Adult Swim as part of the new Warner Discovery's massive axing of shows, which includes something like 30+ animated series and the gutting of Cartoon Network Studios.

Season 2 of Tuca and Bertie was a often a bit "So what have we learned today kids", but season 3 had some really good episodes - the getting eaten by snakes one (written by Raphael Bob-Waksberg) and the finale (by creator Lisa Hanawalt) were especially good.