Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:27:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The most commercially unpalatable albums you habitually listen to

Started by Nice Relaxing Poo, May 05, 2019, 11:09:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Sleep-Dopesmoker

Anaal Nathrakh- The Codex Necro

Yob- The Illusion of Motion

greenman

Tago Mago(admittedly more the first "disk"), Hosanna Mantra, Laughing Stock

sevendaughters

probably The Fucking Cunts Treat Us Like Pricks by Flux of Pink Indians, a British masterpiece of no wave, music concrete, and nascent noise rock sold as crust punk. At an unengaged distance a lot of its opening 15 minutes it sounds like 4 nutters throwing up but when you delve into it, take it at face value, it is a really gripping and energetic piece of political work that sounds so committed and downright weird that it moves past platitudinous sloganeering and feels like someone shoving their spleen under your nose for the run time. I like things like Brainbombs and Whitehouse every now and again, but this and stuff like Branca's middle single-integer symphonies are about as far removed from commerce as one can get and I eat this up.

Twed

Coil - Constant Shallowness Leads to Evil

I know noise music connoisseurs hate it but it sounds like electric generator coils (holy shit) and I like it.

Sin Agog

Quote from: greenman on May 13, 2019, 06:42:14 AM
Tago Mago(admittedly more the first "disk"), Hosanna Mantra, Laughing Stock

The last two are perfectly pleasant and bootiful.  And I've heard musical laymen say so.  Also heard others refer to their lack of bpm as 'depressing.' What a crap adjective that is.

Anyway my answer is Yamatsuka Eye from Boredoms' earlier project, Puzzle Punks. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4osPxxQfzQI&list=PLefQhmbyNCUJDTapbHcMfav4pjkG2UH8K&index=2&t=0s

NoSleep

What does "commercially unpalatable" mean; listening to something you wouldn't buy?

Tago Mago must have shifted considerable units.

purlieu

As Nurse With Wound is one of my favourite musical acts, plenty there. I reckon Chance Meeting of a Sewing Machine and an Umbrella might still be the least accessible one, although I listen to Homotopy to Marie most regularly. Both fall into the "that's not music" category for your average dunce.

greenman

Quote from: Sin Agog on May 13, 2019, 10:01:38 AM
The last two are perfectly pleasant and bootiful.  And I've heard musical laymen say so.  Also heard others refer to their lack of bpm as 'depressing.' What a crap adjective that is.

He didn't unpleasant of course just uncommerical.

sevendaughters

Laughing Stock was commercial nerve gas at the time but you could hear it in the background of a particularly racy episode of Homes Under The Hammer, "this property has lots of potential with spacious rear lawn" *New Grass plays*

famethrowa

I like to give In On The Kill Taker by Fugazi a play now and then, generally it has some good tunes but the endless snare & feedback section of "23 Beats Off" is abrasive enough to test most indie rockers' patience.

Also I can recommend Shellac's Terraform, where a 15-minute opening track consisting of a 1-bar loop, grinding solid state guitars, garbage bin drums, odd time signatures and hostile vocal delivery will not be getting it in the charts anytime soon. But it's so good.

thraxx

Alec Empire Vs Elvis Presley.
Royal Trux - Twin Infinitives.

I fucking love these records.

What about Kid A, that was Radiohead properly trying to capsize their post OK Computer commercial rise wasn't it?

chveik

they're all commercially unpalatable by the time I've finished with them.

Twit 2

Been re-listening to Strapping Young Lad's 'City' at ear-bleeding volume in the car. Actually got loads of catchy tunes but it's also one of the most abrasive fuck yous ever made.

grassbath

Quote from: Sin Agog on May 13, 2019, 10:01:38 AM
Anyway my answer is Yamatsuka Eye from Boredoms' earlier project, Puzzle Punks. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4osPxxQfzQI&list=PLefQhmbyNCUJDTapbHcMfav4pjkG2UH8K&index=2&t=0s

Eye's Planetary Natural Love Gas Webbin' 199999, as DJ Pica Pica Pica, is one of mine. Essential hot weather album.

Failing that Drukqs, or the skronkier end of Coltrane. I find Ascension bizarrely relaxing - like white noise.

EDIT: sod Drukqs - Confield! Ah, utter bliss, trapped in a small glass box that's being pawed at frantically by a giant spider.

kalowski

Don't need any of this juvenile Cunt Buttocks nonsense. Grown adults releasing songs called Grandma's Enema Dead Viet Cong Handjob.

None of it is as fucking magical or frightening as Trout Mask Replica.

Twit 2

Quote from: grassbath on May 13, 2019, 09:11:16 PMor the skronkier end of Coltrane. I find Ascension bizarrely relaxing - like white noise.

I used to listen to Trane all day every day in my late teens. As in, get some wine gums from Spar, go down to the marshes at night and play A Love Supreme at full volume.

Anyway, by far his most unpalatable album is the Olatunji concert. Literally someone shrieking cancer down the end of a horn. Some of it is borderline unlistenable, unless you listen to Helmut Lachenmann and Yamatsuka Eye for breakfast. I know what you mean about white noise. There comes a point when you put on Meshuggah like it's a relaxation tape.

grassbath

Aye, I nearly nominated the Olatunji concert but realised that would be a barefaced lie - I've only stomached it twice or so all the way through. The extremely poor recording quality makes it especially disturbing, like a surreptitiously downloaded death tape, something you know you shouldn't be listening to.

jobotic

I've got that DJ Pic Pica Pica album. Must listen again.

Don't listen to it often but I do agree that the Alec Empire v Elvis album is great too. Must take that to Record Club. I'll win.

Not the whole album but once a month I'll play this s loud as I can get away with.

Pita - Get Out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsDwynKAFPo

peanutbutter

Dunno about unpalatable but I frequently absolutely blast Confield by Autechre at work

Shaky

Quote from: kalowski on May 13, 2019, 10:39:23 PM
Don't need any of this juvenile Cunt Buttocks nonsense. Grown adults releasing songs called Grandma's Enema Dead Viet Cong Handjob.

None of it is as fucking magical or frightening as Trout Mask Replica.

Honestly not trying to be "that" guy but I wouldn't class TMR as unpalatable. It has loads of genuinely catchy bits in isolation and it's way too well known and appreciated to be truly smelly and evil.

Regarding your first point - I tend to agree. It's a hard line to straddle without looking very silly. Take a band like Whitehouse - I'm glad they existed to batter audiences into submission, and front-man William Bennett can articulately justify their noise in interviews, but it's hard to experience something like this and not get the giggles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRbWvLKWS1k

The Freddie Mercury poses make it for me.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Shaky on May 14, 2019, 04:13:42 AM
Honestly not trying to be "that" guy but I wouldn't class TMR as unpalatable. It has loads of genuinely catchy bits in isolation and it's way too well known and appreciated to be truly smelly and evil.

Regarding your first point - I tend to agree. It's a hard line to straddle without looking very silly. Take a band like Whitehouse - I'm glad they existed to batter audiences into submission, and front-man William Bennett can articulately justify their noise in interviews, but it's hard to experience something like this and not get the giggles:

Do you have any links to interviews? I'm kinda fascinated by people who make things like this and are serious about it. Like you say, most people would experience laughter, and I do indeed laugh my bollocks off at the thought of people going to a gig like that and watching it with a straight face. Just seems like try-hard bollocks to me so I'm interested in hearing from people who are fans/who make the music.

DrGreggles

I'd say that Mr Bungle's output would be classed as "commercially unpalatable", and I do habitually listen to the Mr Bungle and California albums.
Disco Volante* not so much - some of that's tough going.

*still think that's a good band for a name

EDIT: "good band for a name"? How the fuck did that happen?

purlieu

Quote from: Shaky on May 14, 2019, 04:13:42 AMRegarding your first point - I tend to agree. It's a hard line to straddle without looking very silly. Take a band like Whitehouse - I'm glad they existed to batter audiences into submission, and front-man William Bennett can articulately justify their noise in interviews, but it's hard to experience something like this and not get the giggles:

It's what makes Nurse With Wound about the only from that era who I can properly love: Steven Stapleton has a bloody great sense of humour, and most of the albums are peppered with moments that totally undermine any seriousness. Anyone who makes a piece of avant-garde music almost entirely out of Warner Bros cartoon sound effects is alright with me.
Current 93 also got a lot better once David Tibet started letting his sense of humour come through.

SpiderChrist

Probably Crass, especially Feeding of the 5000 and Christ: The Album. Very fond of Metal Machine Music too (I find it rather soothing) as well as Earth 2 and Sun O)))'s White 2.

Absorb the anus burn

Avril Lavigne

Probably Philosophy of the World by The Shaggs and Telegraph Melts by Jandek.

kngen

I like to have a drink and listen to stuff I've written and/or played on now and then. The boxes and boxes of unsold CDs and vinyl in my office attest to their deeply uncommercial nature.

Dirty Boy

There's several, but the most regularly listened to one might be Torture Garden. It helped me get into jazz funnily enough.

I find that final Coltrane performance too much to bear the same way i can't cope with Borbetomagus or For Alto by Anthony Braxton. that stuff makes NWW sound like The Specials.
Quote from: DrGreggles on May 14, 2019, 08:06:57 AM
I'd say that Mr Bungle's output would be classed as "commercially unpalatable", and I do habitually listen to the Mr Bungle and California albums.
Disco Volante* not so much - some of that's tough going.

DV is the best one!