Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 10:32:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Best end credits for a film

Started by Gregory Torso, May 05, 2019, 11:22:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregory Torso

I just watched a shit film called Assassination Nation, where spooky social media leads some woke teenagers to fight back against their uuurgh bluuurgh, anyway, the end credits were BRILLIANT - it's a marching band parading through broken, rioted streets playing a Miley Cyrus song, really it made me almost like the film retrospectively.

Assassination Nation end

Whats your favourite end credits sequence?

beanheadmcginty

Lego Movie 2 was a recent highlight. Of all time though it has to be Cannonball Run II.

Noodle Lizard

It's hard to think of any notable ones, really, but 22 Jump Street is commendable at least.

Gregory Torso

21 and 22 jump street were surprisingly very funny.

Gregory Torso

Thinking about it, end credits probably have a bigger impact after you've been watching the whole film, so this thread is a bad idea.

Absorb the anus burn

St_Eddie

I don't generally like gimmicky end credits but the old school choice of showing the cast smiling with freeze frames in Predator is perfect for the type of movie that it is.

For the most part though, I enjoy my credits to be traditional; scrolling white text on a black background with the soundtrack playing over the top.  It gives me a chance to sit back and reflect on the preceding viewing experience.  In such cases, my favourite end credits are dictated by the soundtrack.  In terms of which credits I'll sit through until the very end, every single time (due to a cracking soundtrack), Alien and RoboCop are up there but one of my absolute favourites is Cloverfield.

What with Cloverfield being a found footage movie, there is no soundtrack to speak of in the movie itself (outside of licensed songs playing at the opening party).  However, Michael Giacchino composed a theme for the monster and it plays over the end credits.  It's a great track that perfectly captures the epic nature of the beast and the imagination fuel of the mystery which surrounds it.

mothman

Devil's Advocate - simple but effective.

In Harm's Way - It's sort of a bit like telling the history of WW2 in interpretive dance.

Iron Man 3 - not only sums up the film, but the whole trilogy. But it's probably cheating, really - many of the MCUs have great credits, Thor: Ragnarok especially.

Ferris

Egyptian Feast

The end credits of M*A*S*H and Altman's lesser seen follow up Brewster McCloud are hilarious, abrupt and a perfect ending to the films.

The end credits to Head are also perfect, but then so is the preceding film. 

chveik

it was better in the olden days, when end credits didn't exist. the final shot of a film is its most important one, and there shouldn't be anything afterwards.

Mr Banlon

greenman

Lynch's Dune probably sums up the books epic feeling best in the end credits....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjJPjAkLXS8

Mister Six

Just linking to the Lego Movie 2 ending, because it really is a hoot: https://youtu.be/G2I2gLL1N6E

But my favourite end credits, for their charming naiveté, are the ones to Buckaroo Banzai - just some pals (even the dead ones) having a rhythmic stomp through a dam or something, for some reason: https://youtu.be/8MqJ3iGBdOo

Gregory Torso

Quote from: Mister Six on May 06, 2019, 05:31:42 AM
Just linking to the Lego Movie 2 ending, because it really is a hoot: https://youtu.be/G2I2gLL1N6E

This is really cool.

alan nagsworth

Save The Green Planet, a truly wonderful South Korean film that impressively blends sci-fi and horror with a touching family drama that's also really fucking funny at times, has maybe the most effective end credits of any film I've seen. It entirely drops its absurdist premise at the flick of a switch and the credits are so disarmingly sad and beautiful that I cried my damn eyes out. That film really is a gem.

Sebastian Cobb

I'll look out for it.

I don't think I've seen a Korean film that's shit.

Mister Six

Quote from: Gregory Torso on May 06, 2019, 11:53:10 AM
This is really cool.

Song by Beck, The Lonely Island and probably some other people. Shame I linked to a weirdly cropped version!

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 06, 2019, 02:50:13 PM
I'll look out for it.

I don't think I've seen a Korean film that's shit.

Aye, it was a directorial debut as well. I don't think he's done owt half as memorable since, unfortunately, but I'd definitely stick STGP in the same field as The Host: a generously entertaining genre bending Korean romp.

St_Eddie

Quote from: alan nagsworth on May 06, 2019, 03:21:54 PM
Aye, it was a directorial debut as well. I don't think he's done owt half as memorable since, unfortunately, but I'd definitely stick STGP in the same field as The Host: a generously entertaining genre bending Korean romp.

Agreed on The Host.  It's a lot of fun and a solid monster flick.

Predator, when they each turn to face the camera.

The Lurker

Another +1 for 21 and 22 Jump Street

Although I can't help but feel sorry for The Interview actress Yuna Song

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Blade Runner, with that fantastic Vangelis tune.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: St_Eddie on May 06, 2019, 03:38:42 PM
Agreed on The Host.  It's a lot of fun and a solid monster flick.

I imagine if you gave the monster a solid flick it wouldn't be a lot of fun for you, though!!

Mister Six

Just remembered the incredible credits for Into the Spiderverse, which are best enjoyed on the biggest screen possible: https://youtu.be/oQffYt8yJXg

Catalogue Trousers

Some good calls here, but there's only one winner - Time Bandits.

That tremulous, unsettling shot of Kevin approaching his parents' remains, followed by that cosmic zoom out to the Map being unfussily rolled up by the Supreme Being, and then 'a you have been watching'-esque run-through of the whole film in still form backed by a joyous George Harrison song, capped by that lovely, still-becomes-live-action moment of the Bandits gleefully celebrating their first real triumph. Marvellous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhP7Izo0BaE

Brundle-Fly

grassbath

Not exactly 'best', but my mate and I were reduced to helpless laughter last night by the latter end of the cast list in the credits of The Elephant Man (1980):

TART

PLUMED DWARF

MIDGET

JAPANESE BLEEDER

FOX

TREE

TREE

HORSE

HORSE

HORSE

HORSE

MERRICK'S MOTHER

[end]

blackcockerel

Quote from: Catalogue Trousers on May 06, 2019, 06:21:20 PM
Some good calls here, but there's only one winner - Time Bandits.

That tremulous, unsettling shot of Kevin approaching his parents' remains, followed by that cosmic zoom out to the Map being unfussily rolled up by the Supreme Being, and then 'a you have been watching'-esque run-through of the whole film in still form backed by a joyous George Harrison song, capped by that lovely, still-becomes-live-action moment of the Bandits gleefully celebrating their first real triumph. Marvellous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhP7Izo0BaE

Yes! Always found it bittersweet and moving, since I was a kid. That song, Dream Away, makes me feel like crying, such was the impact of that film over on me as a boy.