Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:31:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Classic rock musicians mixing it up with the outsiders

Started by BlodwynPig, May 06, 2019, 01:39:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlodwynPig

I am listening to this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d22rmKeRVCc]Hawkwind - City of Lagoons[/url]) - [actually released now as an EP with remix by Cherrystones] and only now see the similarity with Wish You Were Here - era Pink Floyd. Checking the credits from the album its from, I note that David Gilmour's remixed version of Kerb Crawler features on the album (which maybe I knew about but had forgotten over time). Given that Nick Mason produced Steve Hillage's "Green" (and Gong's "Shamal" and The Damned), and Sting appeared with many of the Gong/Hawkwind axis as The Radio Actors (Nuclear Waste EP), it's fascinating (for me) that two distinct rock cultures have clashed so often during their peak periods.

Or maybe not? Other examples appreciated from other genres - I guess Eno going World Music/Ambient with Jon Hassell etc is one.

the science eel

Phil_A

Christian "Bic" Hayes (Ring, Levitation, Cardiacs, Dark Star) ending up as the touring guitarist with the Pet Shop Boys was an odd one.

Auntie Beryl

""Extreme""'s Nuno Bettencourt ending up as Rihanna's long-running bandleader.

Crabwalk

jobotic

Rizla

Steeleye Span had Dave Bowie play sax on one of their album tracks (forget which) and Peter Sellers on ukulele on the song "New York Girls".

Cliff Martinez's dual career as drummer in the Weirdos, Red Hot Chilli Peppers and 80's era Dickies, and award winning S/T artiste for most of Steven Soderberg's films and more recently "Drive" is an interesting one.

I know that's not quite what you meant but thats just me being a maverick outsider in your mainstream thread innit.

famethrowa

Love this lineup, classical supremo Philip Glass, sarcastic songwriter Loudon Wainwright, pop queen Debbie Harry, rollerskating violinist David Mansfield and new wave weirdos Pere Ubu come together under the aegis of smoothjazzman David Sanborn. And everyone has a great old time!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mn-rwQgk6vE

Absorb the anus burn

Paul McCartney guested on Godley & Creme's Freeze-frame.

Phil Collins also played on a few tracks on John Cale's Helen of Troy album

Shit Good Nose

Phil's really spread it about (fnarr) over the years.  Aside from those already mentioned - Brand X (of course), Lee Ritenour, Mike Oldfield (although when Oldfield went mainstream), Helen Terry, Robert Fripp, Elliott Murphy, Albert King, Cafe Jacques, Jack Lancaster (which is apposite given who started the thread), Peter Banks, Oletta Adams, and many many more I can't recall off the top of my head right now.

I think he's one of the few artistes with their own successful career(s) that is also in the super-session-person hall of fame (also cf. Ry Cooder).

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on May 07, 2019, 02:02:26 PM
and many many more I can't recall off the top of my head right now.

He played drums and sang backing on Howard Jones' "No One Is To Blame" and Clapton's "Behind the Mask".  That was around the beginning of his "ubiquitous" phase, where he was juggling Genesis, solo stuff, acting work, plus work with other artists.

Quote from: Darles Chickens on May 07, 2019, 02:16:40 PM
That was around the beginning of his "ubiquitous" phase, where he was juggling Genesis, solo stuff, acting work, plus work with other artists.

What a fantastic way to live your life. He gets a lot of stick but he's achieved a lot more than most.

Brundle-Fly

Not classic rock but free jazz saxophonist, Evan Parker played on a track for Vic Reeves 1991 album, I Will Cure You.

EP: Of course it was through Steve Beresford [UK improv legend, Flying Lizards member and co-producer, with the Human League's Philip Oakey and former Soft Boy Andy Metcalfe, of the album] that it came about. My main reason for doing that session was the chance to meet Vic (I know his name is Jim but we haven't been introduced). I was a great fan of his/their work in the period leading up to that recording.

BlodwynPig

SteveDave

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on May 07, 2019, 02:46:28 PM
Not classic rock but free jazz saxophonist, Evan Parker played on a track for Vic Reeves 1991 album, I Will Cure You.

EP: Of course it was through Steve Beresford [UK improv legend, Flying Lizards member and co-producer, with the Human League's Philip Oakey and former Soft Boy Andy Metcalfe, of the album] that it came about. My main reason for doing that session was the chance to meet Vic (I know his name is Jim but we haven't been introduced). I was a great fan of his/their work in the period leading up to that recording.

So that's who he's shouting "PACK IT IN PARKER!" at. Every day's a school day.

I also never realised that a Soft Boy produced "I Will Cure You"