Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 12:13:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Woman At War

Started by sevendaughters, May 06, 2019, 01:08:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sevendaughters

Icelandic film about an environmental saboteur currently out at all good cinemas and probably a few where they won't allow staff to join a union or pay them the living wage!

Saw this yesterday. Good stuff. It's not as earnest as it might initially present and features a few anti-realist strategies despite the general themes of imperialism, environmentalism, etc. The musicians of the soundtrack appear in the scenes they play in like a kind of Greek chorus, shadowing and foreshadowing the mood of the piece without speaking. The film has a few deliberate nods to Emir Kusturica but isn't as excessive or as mad as he is, which has led to people calling it 'quirky' in reviews.

Thomas

I'm reviving this short thread because this is on 4OD at the moment, and I recommend a viewing. Funny and moving, avoidant (even condemning) of soft environmentalist platitudes.

Quote from: sevendaughters on May 06, 2019, 01:08:12 PM
The musicians of the soundtrack appear in the scenes they play in like a kind of Greek chorus, shadowing and foreshadowing the mood of the piece without speaking. 

I particularly liked a moment toward the end when
Spoiler alert
Halla notices the musicians, and realises something must be about to happen.
[close]

Apparently Jodie Foster is making an English-language remake, just in case the subtitles and original vision are too inaccessible.