Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:29:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Michael Jackson Simpsons episode pulled from distribution [split topic]

Started by BritishHobo, March 08, 2019, 01:22:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BritishHobo

magval

Watched that a few weeks ago and cried a wee bit at the end when Lisa hugs Bart because of how fucking brilliant it is.

Not sure how to feel about this decision so think I'll just not think about it.

Petey Pate

Quote from: BritishHobo on March 08, 2019, 01:22:54 PM
The producers have decided to pull the Michael Jackson episode from distribution in all mediums, following the recent documentary:

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment/tv/la-et-st-simpsons-michael-jackson-removed-20190307-story.html?outputType=amp&__twitter_impression=true

Michael Jackson wasn't even it though, it was some guy called John Jay Smith.

SavageHedgehog

The joke in Bart Sells His Soul where Bart says a soul is something made up to scare kids "like the Boogeyman or Michael Jackson" is the joke that Bart thought MJ was made up, or that the allegations were made up? Or is the genius that it can (or could) play both ways?

Quote from: Petey Pate on March 08, 2019, 02:02:20 PM
Michael Jackson wasn't even it though, it was some guy called John Jay Smith.

That was a pseudonym I think. On the commentary on the dvds the writers/producers talk about the secrecy around getting MJ in to do the voice. Unless they were joking of course.

Ferris

Quote from: SavageHedgehog on March 08, 2019, 02:19:16 PM
The joke in Bart Sells His Soul where Bart says a soul is something made up to scare kids "like the Boogeyman or Michael Jackson" is the joke that Bart thought MJ was made up, or that the allegations were made up? Or is the genius that it can (or could) play both ways?

I thought it was because he was a creepy-looking invention of the press (ie his life was blown out of all proportion) and often discussed by adults, not specifically referring to allegations. I think that's too dark for the Simpsons really.

Jerzy Bondov

Petey Pate

It's a reference to the Pete Best song 'Michael Jackson was made up to scare kids'.

colacentral

Quote from: Bobloblawslawbomb on March 08, 2019, 02:28:10 PM
That was a pseudonym I think. On the commentary on the dvds the writers/producers talk about the secrecy around getting MJ in to do the voice. Unless they were joking of course.

I think they say that Jackson did the speaking parts but an impersonator did the singing parts. They also mention that Jackson specifically requested a scene where he's alone with Bart in the treehouse, and mention how weird that is in retrospect. Luckily I don't think they did it, so Jackson couldn't fiddle with himself imagining getting Bart to suck his nipples (Though I expect this is depicted somewhere on DeviantArt).

It's ridiculous that they're pulling that episode from ALL media. Would they object to racist stuff in Looney Tunes etc getting released on physical media? I'd seriously doubt it. I'm fine with it not being aired on TV again but it shouldn't be erased from history. It's a great episode too, not some season 50 shite.

SavageHedgehog

I do think removing it from DVD and Blu-Ray release is a bit extreme, although it will increase the value of my copy I bought three years ago (when no one could have possibly suspected such things)

BritishHobo

It does seem a bit strange given that, well... we all know about it. It's not as if it's a recent episode that may have only been seen by a few people, or an unreleased one. It's pretty firmly lodged in the consciousness of fans, as well as being pretty firmly lodged on every bloody DVD copy of season 3 that exists in the world. Given how long the show has been going, if there are any new fans who are dedicated enough to go back to the beginning, I'm sure they'll find it.

If there's some aspect of the episode that means money still goes to the Jackson estate, that will make sense. Otherwise it seems a fairly empty gesture.

Petey Pate

It should remain on any future DVD releases, but with an introduction by Whoppi Goldberg explaining that things were different thirty years ago.

I was joking with some friends the other day that a #metoo scandal may be the one thing that ends The Simpsons. If only they had made Michael Jackson a regular cast member after season 11...

Blumf

Meanwhile, 14 years in the future:

"Fox are pulling The Simpson's episode Lisa Goes Gaga from all media and re-runs.

Said the undying body of James L. Brooks 'Nothing to do with any historical sexual assault allegations, it's just so fucking shit!'"

Replies From View

They'll come for the episodes that guest-starred Jim'll Savile next.  :(

The Giggling Bean

Quote from: Replies From View on March 08, 2019, 09:17:37 PM
They'll come for the episodes that guest-starred Jim'll Savile next.  :(

They reissued a Doctor Who DVD minus a "Jim'll Fix It" extra, so that's already happened.

Replies From View

Quote from: The Giggling Bean on March 08, 2019, 09:46:45 PM
They reissued a Doctor Who DVD minus a "Jim'll Fix It" extra, so that's already happened.

The tragedy will not be complete until Jim'll Savile has been excised from The Simpsons.

Glebe

ajsmith2

Quote from: Glebe on March 11, 2019, 07:46:53 PM
It's a good thing Jackson never appeared in Who.

A close shave: https://doctorwhowatch.com/2017/01/24/michael-jackson-almost-doctor/

According to this article, he was 'quite keen' on the idea of taking the lead role for himself in 1988.

Replies From View

St_Eddie

Quote from: ajsmith2 on March 11, 2019, 08:26:09 PM
A close shave: https://doctorwhowatch.com/2017/01/24/michael-jackson-almost-doctor/

According to this article, he was 'quite keen' on the idea of taking the lead role for himself in 1988.

He also wanted to play Jar Jar Binks in The Phantom MenaceNo, really.

Replies From View

And also he wanted to play Gordon Brittas in The Brittas Empire.

petril

And he also wanted to play left wing back for Scotland at France '98. Tosh McKinlay the better choice though

Glebe

Bad Ambassador

He had a cameo in Men in Black II, so expect Film4 to push out an edited version of that fairly soon.

popcorn

Quote from: BritishHobo on March 08, 2019, 03:41:37 PM
It does seem a bit strange given that, well... we all know about it. It's not as if it's a recent episode that may have only been seen by a few people, or an unreleased one. It's pretty firmly lodged in the consciousness of fans, as well as being pretty firmly lodged on every bloody DVD copy of season 3 that exists in the world. Given how long the show has been going, if there are any new fans who are dedicated enough to go back to the beginning, I'm sure they'll find it.

If there's some aspect of the episode that means money still goes to the Jackson estate, that will make sense. Otherwise it seems a fairly empty gesture.

I think they don't want to be seen making further money from a sex offender.

Ham Bap

Is this gonna come to that Disney streaming channel in the UK?
I've thought a couple of times to load up on series 1-10 on DVD but a streaming channel would be perfect.
With Sky One having rights over here tho I'm not sure

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Ham Bap on April 17, 2019, 08:39:58 AM
Is this gonna come to that Disney streaming channel in the UK?
I've thought a couple of times to load up on series 1-10 on DVD but a streaming channel would be perfect.
With Sky One having rights over here tho I'm not sure

Probably – it's been announced in the States - https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/the-simpsons-streaming-disney-plus-1203187595/.

The Sky deal over here will complicate matters as you say. However, Disney has a track record of doing deals (including cutting large cheques) to quickly resolve rights issues over IPs that it buys – maybe both companies will broadcast it over here?

One thing particularly interesting is that the FXX Simpsons streaming deal has some time to left – pretty sure that it was a ten-year deal, so on the basis of the above story, it could be five years. FXX is owned by Disney, so that will be make things a little easier to sort out – there doesn't appear to have been an official statement about what's going to happen with the FFX service, but from reports like the Variety one and mention of 'exclusively' makes it sound like it will be Disney Plus only.

Another one is that in order to do the FXX deal, there had to be some careful negotiating with Fox Broadcasting. Under the latter's deal with 20th Century Fox, I don't think Disney can just go ahead and add the show to a streaming service.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Ham Bap on April 17, 2019, 08:39:58 AM
I've thought a couple of times to load up on series 1-10 on DVD

Do it. The episodes are uncut and the extras are terrific.

magval

Quote from: DrGreggles on April 17, 2019, 02:16:41 PM
Do it. The episodes are uncut and the extras are terrific.

I'd go further, don't even bother with 8-10. But yes, Simpsons commentary tracks are worth every penny.