Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:30:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Michael Jackson Simpsons episode pulled from distribution [split topic]

Started by BritishHobo, March 08, 2019, 01:22:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on May 07, 2019, 10:02:19 PM
As for the OP, it's fucking George Lucas assing around with Star Wars and not letting anyone see the original versions again.  Albeit with extra nonce.
I thought about that, but disregarded it on the basis that the episode was rubbish anyway. Also the noncery.

idunnosomename

And indeed that's where the BBC left it.

Kind of perfect in retrospect, but not that they would've done it from any qualitative standpoint. Series 8 ain't that great, 11 and onwards is shit.

Oh that mean like 66% of all The Simpsons is shit now. Great

alan nagsworth

PowerButchi

It is. One of the weakest of the first few seasons. Probably the weakest.

madhair60

Quote from: PowerButchi on May 08, 2019, 08:31:41 AM
It is. One of the weakest of the first few seasons. Probably the weakest.

And yet still laugh after laugh after laugh!

PowerButchi

"Lisa your teeth are big and green" gets a laugh from me. Not much else though.

madhair60

QuoteHi, kids! You've reached the Krusty Hotline! If you haven't asked your parent's permission, naughty naughty! But Krusty forgives you. $2 for the first minute, 50 cents for each additional minute. (Just fucking laughs for minutes)

QuoteMr Burns:  Doctor, what should we do about our freewheeling fop over here?
Dr Marvin Monroe: Well, Monty, it used to be that establishing a patient's sanity took months. That's all changed, thanks to the Marvin Monroe take-home personality test.  Twenty simple questions that will determine exactly how crazy or (air quotes) "meshugginah" someone is.
Homer:  (Reading) Print name? (Nervous) Ohhhh...

QuoteDog on fire! Dog on fire!

I'm looking through the script and there's loads more. It's gold

madhair60

QuoteMan:Homer, this is Floyd.  He's an idiot savant.  Give him any two numbers, and he can multiply them in his head, just like that.
Homer: Okay.  Five times nine.
Floyd: Forty-five.
Homer: Wow!

QuoteMan:   Your father really needs your help.  You don't want him to get a
          lobotomy, do you?
   Bart:  Hm...  lobotomy...
          [begin dream]
          [Bart is playing in the house and breaks a lamp]
   Homer: [stitches on forehead still visible, wearing his pink shirt]
          [zombie-like]  That's all right, son...
          [end dream]
   Bart:  Well, there's probably a down side I don't see.

QuoteDave:  So I was working in an insurance company, right?  Youngest VP
          in the history of the firm, okay?  The job was my life.
          Then one Monday morning, I got up.  I got up, I couldn't leave
          the house.  I just couldn't.
   Homer: Was the door locked?
   Dave:  No, I just couldn't face what was out there.
   Homer: Was it raining?
   Nurse: No, Homer, Dave suffers from agoraphobia, a fear of open areas and
          crowds.  Please, Dave, go on.
   Dave:  Thank you.  Anyway, that day I just knew I just couldn't make that
          long drive to work.
   Homer: Were you out of gas?
   Nurse: [glares at Homer]
   Homer: Pffft.  Baby...

QuoteDoctor: Mrs. Simpson, I'm sorry, but your husband suffers from a persecution
           complex, extreme paranoia, and bladder hostility.
   Marge:  Doctor, if you just talk to him for five minutes without mentioning
           our son Bart, you'd see how sane he is.
   Doctor: You mean there really is a Bart?!  Good Lord!

neveragain

I love that he gets institutionalised for wearing a pink shirt.

JamesTC

Quote from: neveragain on May 08, 2019, 09:29:19 PM
I love that he gets institutionalised for wearing a pink shirt.

Such a wonderfully absurd idea that only The Simpsons can do.

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on May 07, 2019, 11:29:05 PM
I thought about that, but disregarded it on the basis that the episode was rubbish anyway. Also the noncery.
More to the point, the episode in question has been widely available on DVD and bluray for years, unlike the proper versions of Star Wars.

St_Eddie

Technically speaking, I don't think that it's possible to read a thread comprised entirely of empty quotes.

DrGreggles

Quote from: St_Eddie on May 09, 2019, 01:33:25 AM
Technically speaking, I don't think that it's possible to read a thread comprised entirely of empty quotes.

They're not empty. They're examples of the best Simpsons lines of the last 20 years.

Precisely.

JamesTC

Homer got raped again in an episode I watched today. Marge this time instead of a panda.

I wonder how many times Homer has been raped in the next 16 seasons.

madhair60

Quote from: JamesTC on May 12, 2019, 01:19:04 AM
Homer got raped again in an episode I watched today. Marge this time instead of a panda.

I wonder how many times Homer has been raped in the next 16 seasons.

Since season 20, it's a running gag that Homer gets raped by a different character once per episode.

Nowhere Man

Just came in to say I will not have any of this Season 2 and 3 bashing, they're (mostly) bloody brilliant. I'm gonna watch some of them now actually.

hillbillyholiday

I've never understood how people casually dismiss Season 1. 

For starters, Homer is at his most believable, far grumpier and far funnier.

The best episodes are packed full of classic moments. Razor sharp and genuinely heartwarming; for me, they rank among the high points of twentieth century culture.

• Bart the Genius  :  "Now I don't want you to worry, class. These tests will have no effect on your grades. They merely determine your future social status and financial success... if any."
  • Moaning Lisa  :  "You know Marge, getting old is a terrible thing.  I think the saddest day of my life was when I realized I could beat my Dad at most things, and Bart experienced that at the age of four."
  • The Call of the Simpsons  :  "Avenge me, son.  Avenge my death...."
  • Life in the Fast Lane  :  "Oh Bart, don't you see?  This is what psychologists call over-compensation,  Mom is racked with guilt because their marriage is failing." "Hey, don't rock the boat Man.  Whatever it is, we're making out like bandits."

Though I do agree with whoever said Lisa's Substitute was the best episode ever.

St_Eddie

Quote from: hillbillyholiday on May 12, 2019, 03:15:49 AM
I've never understood how people casually dismiss Season 1. 

For starters, Homer is at his most believable, far grumpier and far funnier.

The best episodes are packed full of classic moments. Razor sharp and genuinely heartwarming; for me, they rank among the high points of twentieth century culture.

Thank you for saying this.  I was too afraid to, for fear of ridicule but now that you have, I fully agree.

bgmnts

1 is weird, he has that odd voice, Castellaneta still hadn't nailed it down.

Honestly its ALL good until you get to around season 11/12. And if Simpsons ended with Behind the Laughter it would have the legacy of all legacies. Now, though...

JamesTC

Really struggling now. Season 15 had one good episode and a couple of okay episodes. Everything else just way below par.

Me Blog Write Good seems to agree. The view on the one good episode of the season is as follows:
Quotethis one's definitely a gem buried amidst a pile of shit.

Homer's mum should never have come back. The ending in her first appearance was perfect. But I guess that boat has sailed. I hear they've now killed her off.

madhair60

Chriddof

I think that the first couple of seasons of The Simpsons are great, but they're great in a very different way to what came soon afterwards. There's something more grounded and warm and... folksy?... to those first two, which over time got reduced. At first this was all for the better, but then the balance of things started to drift too far to the opposite side, the "Flanderization" inevitably happened and by about Season 12 any kind of warmth is completely gone in favour of Homer getting raped by a panda and evil elf jockeys singing a terrible musical number.

The only things I don't like about the early episodes would be the genuinely shocking sound quality of the music (tinny and echoey in exactly the same manner as those horrid Gene Deitch Tom & Jerry cartoons - was there a really tinny and echoey recording studio somewhere in Hollywood from 1960 - 1991 that was really cheap?) and the fact that the voice acting is a lot more subdued. Dan Castellaneta's not-quite-Homer voice has already been mentioned, but it's clear that the other actors are still getting a handle on their performances too, even if they have already more or less worked out their own voices.

alan nagsworth

^ totally agree about the voices. Chief Wiggum particularly always sticks out in retrospect, Mr Burns too. Burns is my favourite Simps character but I doubt I'd hold that opinion if his voice had stayed the same as when it started out.

TheMonk

Quote from: JamesTC on May 12, 2019, 06:40:54 PM
Really struggling now. Season 15 had one good episode and a couple of okay episodes. Everything else just way below par.
Is there a general consensus on the episodes after Season 10 that are worth watching? Surely there's a season or twos worth of good stuff among the river of ordinariness?

Utter Shit

Quote from: TheMonk on May 13, 2019, 11:51:10 AM
Is there a general consensus on the episodes after Season 10 that are worth watching? Surely there's a season or twos worth of good stuff among the river of ordinariness?

This is far, far, far from an exhaustive list, but a handful that I think are worth seeing from the seasons immediately after season 10...

1102 - Brother's Little Helper
1122 - Behind The Laughter
1209 - HOMR
1218 - Trilogy Of Error
1316 - Weekend At Burnsie's
1402 - How I Spent My Strummer Vacation

bgmnts

There is one good episode that is a day in the life of Homer, Lisa, Marge and Bart I think. Lisa builds a robot that corrects grammar and it gets blown up at a key point in everyone's day, landing in Homer's arms.

It's a good gag:

Homer: Linguo, dead...
Linguo: Linguo is dead.

Then dies.

madhair60

Quote from: bgmnts on May 13, 2019, 02:18:23 PM
There is one good episode that is a day in the life of Homer, Lisa, Marge and Bart I think. Lisa builds a robot that corrects grammar and it gets blown up at a key point in everyone's day, landing in Homer's arms.

It's a good gag:

Homer: Linguo, dead...
Linguo: Linguo is dead.

Then dies.

That's Trilogy of Error, mentioned above. I think that also has "Inflammable means flammable!? What a country"