Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:55:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Michael Jackson Simpsons episode pulled from distribution [split topic]

Started by BritishHobo, March 08, 2019, 01:22:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ornlu

Quote from: Utter Shit on May 13, 2019, 12:52:02 PM
1402 - How I Spent My Strummer Vacation

This one's worth it just for when Mick Jagger goes "Simp-SOOOON!"

JamesTC

Quote from: TheMonk on May 13, 2019, 11:51:10 AM
Is there a general consensus on the episodes after Season 10 that are worth watching? Surely there's a season or twos worth of good stuff among the river of ordinariness?

When I'm done I'm going to get all the good episodes from Season 11-18 and make a best of season. The sad thing is that if you take the 22 best episodes from those 8 seasons and you get a season on par with 10. How it went downhill that fast is crazy.

JamesTC

The second disc of Season 18 crapped out in the last five minutes of an episode. It was about Bart befriending Nelson as he was the only one at his birthday party. It means I miss the "heartwarming" moment with Nelson being sad about Bart not wanting to be his friend instead of beating him up because that is how these things always end now (I can't be bothered looking it up and I definitely can't be bothered downloading the episode).

These DVDs aren't very good quality if I'm honest. Season 4 has stopped working outside of one disc. For all seasons every other disc seems to have a huge pause when it switches layer (I assume layer switching is the issue).

Nowhere Man

Quote from: Utter Shit on May 13, 2019, 12:52:02 PM
1402 - How I Spent My Strummer Vacation

Can't believe they called it that and it didn't have a Joe Strummer cameo.

I mean to be fair Joe died about a month after that episode aired..

JamesTC

I was reading an article on recent Simpsons. I previously thought that Marge raping Homer was the low point of The Simpsons but I think this joke may be:
QuoteHomer is in the airport with the family, and there is a loud speaker announcement that "boarding has commenced for women, children and fat men."

Homer replies "That's me!"

alan nagsworth

certainly a far cry from the great "attention marge simpson: we've also arrested your older, balder, fatter son" loudspeaker announcement from season 6

madhair60

Principal Skinner: Students, I have an announcement. One of your favorite comic book heroes, Radio Man —
Nelson: Radioactive Man, stupid!
Principal Skinner: Strange, I shouldn't have been able to hear that.

Dogbeard

It's been ages since I watched this programme, but I've been feeling the itch recently from re-listening to some old songs and bits and bobs that brought to mind  just how amazing it was. Also my 7 year old daughter caught some episodes and liked it; she has a great and fairly sophisticated sense of humour for her age and a big pleasure in life for me is having a good laugh with her.

Anyway, not having watched it for a while, I was wondering what age people in here think is roughly appropriate to be watching the show, not so much from a comprehension perspective so much as from an appropriateness one. I realise this depends on the child and general parenting style, but I can't really remember how sexually suggestive it gets, for example. We're fairly liberal and my daughter has a rough idea of the birds and the bees but I mean, there are references in this thread to Homer being raped by both a panda and by Marge - thankfully I haven't seen those episodes, but if that were depicted or strongly suggested in an episode I probably wouldn't want her watching it.

I can't remember anything like that in seasons 1-10, which are the ones I've bought. I know there is the odd swear, which I don't mind, even though she only knows "arse" at the moment (I'm not including "fart" or "bloody"). Nor do I mind some references to sex or sexuality, but just trying to remember how far the show goes in those seasons. Are there any specific episodes it might be better to skip?

popcorn

To be honest mate I think you're being a bit overcautious. The show definitely got a bit raunchier in later years (eg the panda rape gag), but that correlates with it also going crap, so you'd better off without those episodes anyway.

Jerzy Bondov

I think I must have been about 7 when I started watching it and to be honest it has completely ruined my life beyond repair

Dogbeard

Haha - OK yeah, I am overcautious/have a tendency to overthink things by nature, even though as I said my parenting is fairly liberal.

Blumf

Just watch the Channel 4 broadcasts. They cut the thing to shreds, removing most the jokes in the process.

Goldentony

yer man inhaling the balloon at the photographers to make the kids smile and going HELLLOOOOO I... in a helium voice and then just going ah it's just air

willy crossit

Quote from: Goldentony on July 31, 2019, 05:11:19 PM
yer man inhaling the balloon at the photographers to make the kids smile and going HELLLOOOOO I... in a helium voice and then just going ah it's just air

hahahaha

idunnosomename

If she knows the birds and the bees have sex with each other, watch all up to Behind the Laughter

Jesus that Marge raping  Homer thing sounds grim

Catalogue Trousers

I'm guessing that's a reference to Strong Arms Of The Marge. I like that episode a lot - a great deal of funny stuff - but that scene is a bit much for a supposed family show. Oddly, it turned up at about the same time as the Family Guy episode where a similarly newly-empowered (by martial arts prowess) Lois decides to rape Peter. Family Guy can get away with that. The Simpsons can't.

idunnosomename

I mean Family Guy also had Quagmire raping Marge and shooting the rest of the family from an ext shot of the house

Unfunny garbage

alan nagsworth

Remember when Family Guy was genuinely great? First two seasons? I still love that shit. "Brian: Portrait of a Dog", mate, belter episode. A lot of the humour was absolutely spot on, as well.

If madhair comes in here saying it stayed fairly good for seven seasons after that or whatever don't listen to the prick

momatt

The last season of Family Guy was really good.  So there.
:-P

Quote from: alan nagsworth on July 31, 2019, 10:01:22 PM
Remember when Family Guy was genuinely great?

*flahback to me watching the first three series on DVD just after it had been cancelled and loving every second* "I wish they'd make more of these!" *incidental music*

Question: Was it worse than when Arrested Development finally came back?

madhair60

Quote from: alan nagsworth on July 31, 2019, 10:01:22 PM
Remember when Family Guy was genuinely great? First two seasons? I still love that shit. "Brian: Portrait of a Dog", mate, belter episode. A lot of the humour was absolutely spot on, as well.

If madhair comes in here saying it stayed fairly good for seven seasons after that or whatever don't listen to the prick

It's literally the same level of quality it's always been

Quote from: idunnosomename on July 31, 2019, 09:59:06 PM
I mean Family Guy also had Quagmire raping Marge and shooting the rest of the family from an ext shot of the house

Unfunny garbage

Deleted scene

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: madhair60 on August 01, 2019, 10:58:04 PM

Deleted scene

Only because Fox insisted on cutting it - the scene was certainly reinstated for the DVD. In the commentary clip below, Seth MacFarlane defends the joke as a fair response to all the (fairly mild) digs that the Simpsons had made at Family Guy's expense. He comes across as a right weird bastard to my ears. Total tone-deaf, unearned self-righteousness that just emphasises how grim, lazy and witless the actual joke is:

https://youtu.be/8H-cB-l3O-4

madhair60

He's right to be upset that The Simpsons directly called him a plagiarist, especially given The Simpsons had then been unfunny toilet for over a decade

Jerzy Bondov

You think that's bad, what about the time South Park had a dig at Family Guy?!

It was so much better. Needlessly cruel and thorough. Two entire episodes about how shit they think Family Guy is... How is that 13 years ago?! What happened to my life

madhair60

Whereas Family Guy sees fit to make more than one joke per episode (or lately, season)

Jerzy Bondov

Family Guy has no good video games though. How about that... off to start a thread, hang on