Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:07:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Chernobyl [HBO]

Started by Mobius, May 08, 2019, 03:17:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mobius

Can't believe they wear all that gear and yet have bits of their face visible.

What was the point of killing the dogs? Place is evacuated, wouldn't they just die off gradually?

Some really laugh out loud dry humour as well. Skarsgaard's "i know not that one" when discussing the robot on the moon was great.

Hank Venture

Great show. Don't think any show in recent memory has succeeded in creating such a gripping atmosphere and mood.

SteveDave

Quote from: Hank Venture on May 29, 2019, 07:32:32 AM
Great show. Don't think any show in recent memory has succeeded in creating such a gripping atmosphere and mood.

Agreed. I hope there's a happy ending. God bless.

St_Eddie

There's only four episodes of this, right?  I've been waiting to binge watch the lot in one go.  I've download four episodes now and would like confirmation that there's no more to come, before I commence watching.

Quote from: Mobius on May 29, 2019, 12:16:43 AM
What was the point of killing the dogs? Place is evacuated, wouldn't they just die off gradually?

The reasoning at the time was to prevent the possible spread of contamination.  Some of those dogs may have found their way to populated areas.

Bazooka

Episode 5 is the last.

Cuellar

Quote from: phes on May 29, 2019, 12:11:30 AM
That was an excellent episode. Seriously fucking grim stuff watching the biorobots clearing the roof. What a great bunch of DEAD SOON lads. A lot of stuff in that was lifted straight from footage in Chernobyl 3828 so if watching a dramatisation wasn't sickening enough then you can go watch the source material on YouTube

You weren't kidding: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ti-WdTF2Qr8

Seems stupid to say but I can't get over how innocuous it looks. Just a roof with some rubble.

St_Eddie

mothman

I'm going to binge once complete.

imitationleather

It's only safe to watch in ninety second spurts.

Puce Moment

Yeah, I'm very much a binge person when it comes to quality TV drama but this one needs more careful time to cogitate. I've liked the weekly drip feed of grim.

Cuellar

SPOILERS

When it was revealed that the pregnant woman's baby took the brunt of the radiation and died my girlfriend said 'they should send loads of pregnant women to clear the roof. Ones that want abortions anyway'

Grotesque.

imitationleather

Quote from: Cuellar on May 29, 2019, 05:48:52 PM
SPOILERS

When it was revealed that the pregnant woman's baby took the brunt of the radiation and died my girlfriend said 'they should send loads of pregnant women to clear the roof. Ones that want abortions anyway'

Grotesque.

Can't fault the logic though.

Head Gardener

neardark

Did episode 4 seem totally different in a bad way to anyone else, cheesy dialogue etc?

imitationleather

Quote from: neardark on May 29, 2019, 10:50:27 PM
Did episode 4 seem totally different in a bad way to anyone else, cheesy dialogue etc?

I thought the dog killing plot felt like it was from a different show.

neardark

Quote from: imitationleather on May 29, 2019, 10:51:17 PM
I thought the dog killing plot felt like it was from a different show.

I agree, and the inexperienced kid with the tough but fair mentor felt like a cliche and unrealistic compared to the previous three episodes.

JesusAndYourBush

I just watched episode 1 this evening.  It was an interesting decision to have the actors use their normal accents and not attempt Russian accents.  It brought it closer to home, made it more evident that these are real people dealing with an awful situation rather than quirky strange accented Bond villains.

Quote from: Alberon on May 09, 2019, 12:05:15 PM
Of course the Soviet media tried to deny anything was going on

On 27th May'86, a month after the disaster, I noted in a notebook that Radio Moscow said "At Chernobyl, the damaged reactor is no longer capable of making unpleasant surprises."  That's a verbatim quote.  Unpleasant Surprises.

katzenjammer

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on May 30, 2019, 02:43:03 AM
On 27th May'86, a month after the disaster, I noted in a notebook that Radio Moscow said "At Chernobyl, the damaged reactor is no longer capable of making unpleasant surprises."  That's a verbatim quote.  Unpleasant Surprises.

That's brilliant.  Like it was just a massive nuclear jack-in-the-box

kidsick5000

All hear is how good this series is but I can't help feel it could tip me over into a grief hole

Vitalstatistix

Quote from: neardark on May 29, 2019, 10:50:27 PM

The first 3 episodes were utterly gripping and horrifying, whilst episode 4, in its comparable lack of urgency and narrative forward momentum, was a definite drop off.

The whole pet-killing thing was trite and sentimental in a way that the series had previously and admirably avoided. A shame, but still quality telly, like.

I also think Barry Keoghan is a bizarrely wooden actor with a mystically unsettling face. Worked perfectly in ...Sacred Deer but he should be banished from all further acting roles please thanks.

popcorn

TBH I'm only on episode 3 but I've found a lot of the dialogue a bit naff and sort of grandstanding. Endless common folk standing up to the suits with gutsy dialogue. Many of the characters seem interchangeable.

edit:

Quote from: Bazooka on May 28, 2019, 10:45:45 PM
The accent thing hasn't been too jarring so far, but that posh peasant lady was too much.

Right, this is the worst example yet.

popcorn

I think some of it is overwritten. Like the comedy naked miner scene. Naked miner strides over and sez:

QuoteWhat? You wouldn't give us fans, it's too hot for clothes. So we're digging the old way. This is how our fathers mined. We're still wearing the fucking hats.

We know they're hot and were refused fans. Don't need it. Should have been:

QuoteWe're still wearing the fucking hats.

the science eel

Nah. He's explaining, and you'd expect that.

Twed

Tough But Fair Worker #1: Wear this egg basket.
Wide-eyed Child Boy: Alright sir I promise I'll put it on as soon as I stop gazing at something foreboding in the near distance, but why?
Tough But Fair Worker #1: Because otherwise cher-nob-'yl fall off.

Thursday

Not reading the thread yet, just popping in to say I've seen the first two episodes, and I want to congratulate the show on being a rare example of a thing people start raving about on twitter actually being really good, and not just "okay"

Twed

Visually and atmospherically it is absolutely fantastic. I am enjoying it very much, so I'm also going to be very snarky about it.

Poobum

I was sad about the men's skin falling off. But the fat miner with small willy cheered me up. Then I was a bit annoyed at the wife being a bit of a Cassandra miscarriage, then I was horrified by the men rotting alive. An emotional rollercoaster.

imitationleather

Quote from: Poobum on May 31, 2019, 10:47:42 PM
I was sad about the men's skin falling off. But the fat miner with small willy cheered me up. Then I was a bit annoyed at the wife being a bit of a Cassandra miscarriage, then I was horrified by the men rotting alive. An emotional rollercoaster.

Hopefully you learned some LIFE LESSONS from the dog killing army guy.