Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:44:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Chernobyl [HBO]

Started by Mobius, May 08, 2019, 03:17:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

Nice to see Emily Watson crop up in it, she's good in everything but her character looks interesting as well.

ersatz99

Any chance someone could explain why they carried out the test in the way they did. If the whole point was to see if they could keep the pumps running in the event of a power blackout then why did they start by shutting off the steam to the turbines and then see if the rundown generated enough electrical power for the pumps while the auxilliary supply was kicking in.  Is the steam supply normally shut off in the event of a power blackout?

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: ersatz99 on May 15, 2019, 01:55:59 PM
Any chance someone could explain why they carried out the test in the way they did. If the whole point was to see if they could keep the pumps running in the event of a power blackout then why did they start by shutting off the steam to the turbines and then see if the rundown generated enough electrical power for the pumps while the auxilliary supply was kicking in.  Is the steam supply normally shut off in the event of a power blackout?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chernobyl_disaster#Accident

MojoJojo

Normally they keep the pumps running from the power the plant itself was generating - the test was about keeping the pumps going during an emergency shutdown during a power cut.

mothman

Morrison Lard

Watched both episodes of this and I reckon it's bastard superb.

Accents do feel a bit weird, especially when there's snippets of foreign that pop up, like the loudspeaker evacuations.
It's beautifully filmed, bleak as fuckery and there's some great bits of tension.

Also, your man is a shoe-in to play Jaz Coleman if they ever make a Killing Joke biopic.

the science eel

the science eel

Quote from: Morrison Lard on May 15, 2019, 06:15:46 PM
snippets of foreign that pop up, like the loudspeaker evacuations.

wasn't subtitled, was it? or do I need to adjust my settings?

Zetetic

Pseudopath

Quote from: the science eel on May 15, 2019, 08:49:13 PM
wasn't subtitled, was it? or do I need to adjust my settings?

Don't believe so, but it was pretty obvious what the announcement meant (given that we'd just witnessed a convoy of coaches leave the town). Felt nice for a TV show director to respect the audience's intelligence for a change.

Bazooka

I'm on both sides of the fence with the accents/using British actors, it was jarring at first especially Con O'Neill, but the ambience and production is captivating enough on top of the great acting, I found myself immersed enough that I forgot I hear a Leeds accent.

Morrison Lard

Quote from: Pseudopath on May 15, 2019, 09:36:16 PM
Don't believe so, but it was pretty obvious what the announcement meant (given that we'd just witnessed a convoy of coaches leave the town). Felt nice for a TV show director to respect the audience's intelligence for a change.
Well, yeah, it was completely obvious what the announcements were about.
My point was that it was rather jarring to have everyone speaking in English and then have these in Russian/Ukrainian.

imitationleather

Quote from: Zetetic on May 15, 2019, 08:53:08 PM
https://www.lrb.co.uk/v40/n23/mike-jay/i-dont-understand-it-at-all

LRB review of Chernobyl: History of a Tragedy.

That is a very good book. I read it recently without knowing this series was in the pipeline, but I am even more glad I did now.

Cuellar

I'd just like to say that I thought Skarsgaard was portraying Boris YELTSIN for a long time, and having looked at a picture of the Boris he IS portraying, I think the actor playing Gorbachev and Skarsgaard should have swapped roles (although the Gorby guy isn't as good).

I like this. Radiation poisoning was a constant terror of my childhood so I'm gripped.

imitationleather

Can't sleep and found a stream from Sky Atlantic so I am bang on the first broadcast like a fanboy.

***** EPISODE 3 SPOILER *****

The faces from telly past appearing in this!

Now it's Evil Trevor from Eastenders playing a gruff and naked miner. Cor!

McChesney Duntz

And did you spot Finchy?

imitationleather

Quote from: McChesney Duntz on May 21, 2019, 04:15:54 AM
And did you spot Finchy?

I did indeed. Loved the bit where Valery Legasov said "Chris, why don't you fuck off?"

Bazooka

I didn't spot Finchy, did he play the reactor core?

St_Eddie

I had a look for this on the old torrents the other day but no joy.  Sort it out, other people.  I want to watch things for free, dammit!

Bazooka

Quote from: St_Eddie on May 21, 2019, 06:00:27 AM
I had a look for this on the old torrents the other day but no joy.  Sort it out, other people.  I want to watch things for free, dammit!

Flixtor, thank me later.

St_Eddie

Lost Oliver

This'll be good I reckon

Neomod

Dunno if anyone has mentioned it yet but there's an interesting companion podcast imaginatively called The Chernobyl Podcast. It's with the writer and gives background and an insight into why certain choices (including accents) were made.

Fascinating stuff.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-chernobyl-podcast/id1459712981

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUeHPCYtWYQ

Puce Moment

Quote from: Zetetic on May 14, 2019, 05:58:04 PM
How many of the people depicted would have been Ukrainian or had Ukrainian accents? What would the language used in the plant (etc.) have been - Ukrainian or Russian?

(I genuinely don't know the answer to the second question. In the first case, quite a lot of the people involved were born and/or were educated elsewhere in the Union.)

It would have seemed a slightly patronising kind of verisimilitude to just make them all sound appropriately Slavic, regardless of the actual details.

Good points - for me it would be a stronger drama if they used the original language or gave people their appropriate accents. I think choosing English accents as a way to avoid patronising verisimilitude is misguided and wrong-headed.

Bazooka

Quote from: Neomod on May 21, 2019, 01:00:13 PM
Dunno if anyone has mentioned it yet but there's an interesting companion podcast imaginatively called The Chernobyl Podcast. It's with the writer and gives background and an insight into why certain choices (including accents) were made.

Fascinating stuff.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-chernobyl-podcast/id1459712981

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUeHPCYtWYQ

Thanx hun.x

Mobius

Trevor from Eastenders is a cracking actor

blue reel

I had an unexpected moment of hilarity during the third episode when I imagined that there is an outtake of the Minister for Coal bellowing out the line, "Come Clean Yer Hands on Me Coat".

Caught up to the third ep last night. It really is excellent isn't it. I like the fact they are using UK regional accents as well as Scandinavian and Eastern European as well I suppose. No issues with that, the acting and plot are both on a superior level too.
Burst out laughing last night when one of the miners said after patting him, "now you look like the Minister of Coal!".

SteveDave

Quote from: Edmonds on May 08, 2019, 06:21:19 PM
Why don't you watch it yourself and give your own opinion? Nobody gives a fuck what you think of anyone else's.

I've now watched episode one and am intrigued enough to continue watching. Happy now?

I will watch Con O'Neill in anything as he just uses the same voice in everything.

I hope it gets a second series and that everyone's OK.

Cuellar

I watched the latest last night, then had a dream where as they were pouring the concrete on the lead lined coffins a small stream of bubbles started appearing from one of them. People said "That's impossible, we sealed them up, definitely!" Then the wife of the incredibly poisoned fireman said "He's still alive!" and dived down to open the coffin, brought him out and they rode off together on horseback.

I blame watching this and Game of Thrones so close to one another.