Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:33:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Great Realistic Minimalist Horror

Started by MortSahlFan, May 08, 2019, 12:21:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MortSahlFan

I saw "Room For Rent" (2019) and I had no idea it was a horror movie. I don't like gore, and I like a good story. I think its why I've stayed away from the genre. Although I don't remember gore, I couldn't stand "Rosemary's Baby" despite being a fan of Cassavetes acting (and his directing). There wasn't a lot of movement, the setting was in the house for the most part, but it didn't remind me of all the horrors people around me would discuss.

I don't like cliches, and would hope the acting was good.

Some other horrors I liked (IMDB categorization)
-Onibaba (1964)
-The Road Builder (1971)
-Eyes Without A Face (1960)
-Peeping Tom (1960)
-Blind Beast (1969)

PlanktonSideburns

Re watched Nightcrawler with jake gillenhall the other day. I think that could be read as a horror film, despite not having obvious horrific stuff in it.

Also Brawl in cell block 99, but not one for if you're not up for violence

Actually it's not very realistic either, scratch that

BlodwynPig

It has Jake Gylenhall in it, which is enough to put me off watching it. Horrible man.

Thanks OP for some recommendations - not a gore fan, so hopefully these will be nicely creepy without guts and intestines and Gylenhall's face.

St_Eddie

I think that Rosemary's Baby is a great film.

That is all.

Mister Six

Rosemary's baby isn't really "realistic", is it? Unless you think getting up the duff by Satan is plausible.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Mister Six on May 08, 2019, 05:24:57 PM
Rosemary's baby isn't really "realistic", is it? Unless you think getting up the duff by Satan is plausible.

I exist, don't I?

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: BlodwynPig on May 08, 2019, 03:34:12 PM
It has Jake Gylenhall in it, which is enough to put me off watching it. Horrible man.

Thanks OP for some recommendations - not a gore fan, so hopefully these will be nicely creepy without guts and intestines and Gylenhall's face.

He is playing a complete and utter THROBBER with all the accessories, if that helps. Like a total cunt

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Gyllenhall is brilliant in Nightcrawler. I wouldn't call it a horror film though.

The Shining seems like an obvious one.

I found it a bit underwhelming, but The VVitch was generally well received.

greenman

Quote from: Mister Six on May 08, 2019, 05:24:57 PM

Repulsion is though, maybe a bit dated in terms of showing mental illness I spose but still very effective.

Along similar lines Woman of the Dunes which I don't recall having any gore in it at all.

Howj Begg

Quote from: St_Eddie on May 08, 2019, 03:41:24 PM
I think that Rosemary's Baby is a great film.

That is all.

On most days I'd say Rosemary's Baby is the best horror film ever made.

It actually is entirely realistic right up until the ending, which is why the reversal is so comic, and the horror throughout is genuinely horrifying, because it's all banal reality. The horror of elderly nosy neighbours, of cloying relatives, of uninterested partners.

chveik

Quote from: Howj Begg on May 08, 2019, 06:42:07 PM

nah it's Le Locataire

Shit Good Nose

If you believe in the existence of ghosts:
The Haunting (original, obvs)
The Changeling (not the one with Angelina Jolie, obvs)

If you believe in god and the devil:
The Exorcist
The Omen

and, if you believe the story (which has pretty much been completely debunked as a massive hoax purely to make money, but...) I think the first Amityville Horror is very decent.  I think it has suffered because of a combination of the hype around the "true" story, as well as some of the liberties the film takes with the "true" story.  Ignore all of that and take it at face value, it's a really really creepy film.

I also recommend The Hitcher, Wake In Fright, Kwaidan, Assault on Precinct Thirteen (original, obvs), The Beguiled (original, obvs), Heatwave, and two Peter Weir films - Picnic at Hanging Rock and The Last Wave.

Shaky

I recommend slow-burning Austrian horror/mystery Hotel (2004). Blood-free, creepy as hell and has a very Lynchian atmosphere in making common spaces and objects seem quite unsettling.

St_Eddie

I think that The Blair Witch Project qualifies for this thread.  Whilst I'm 99% sure that I've figured out the intended plot and backstory, which is supernatural in nature, there's enough wriggle room there to validate the interpretation of 'a bunch of twisted rednecks did it'.

Quote from: Howj Begg on May 08, 2019, 06:42:07 PM

It actually is entirely realistic right up until the ending, which is why the reversal is so comic, and the horror throughout is genuinely horrifying, because it's all banal reality. The horror of elderly nosy neighbours, of cloying relatives, of uninterested partners.

That's why it's a classic, in my opinion; the inane banality of everyday life, perfectly juxtaposed with the insane grandiosity of the ending reveal.

zomgmouse

neveragain

I really like Cherry Tree Lane, a great little thriller about home invasion. 'Minimalist horror' suggests 'thriller' to me so I think it fits in the thread.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: St_Eddie on May 09, 2019, 01:23:35 AM
I think that The Blair Witch Project qualifies for this thread.

I would argue that it doesn't cos it's not great.

SteveDave

Quote from: St_Eddie on May 09, 2019, 01:23:35 AM
I think that The Blair Witch Project qualifies for this thread.  Whilst I'm 99% sure that I've figured out the intended plot and backstory, which is supernatural in nature, there's enough wriggle room there to validate the interpretation of 'a bunch of twisted rednecks did it'.

I'm proposing we crowd fund a film that shows it was rednecks pissing about scaring the shit of the la-di-da university types poking their rich kid noses around Burkittsville.

BlodwynPig

Shit Good Nose

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on May 09, 2019, 02:50:15 PM
Absolute dogshit if you ask me.  Always thought so.

You are banned from the press screening of my new film Mintotaur XII: Spring Break

holyzombiejesus

St_Eddie

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on May 09, 2019, 02:50:15 PM
Absolute dogshit if you ask me.  Always thought so.

It's a very divisive film.  Personally, I love it.  The Blair Witch Project and The Exorcist are the only two films which still hold the power to truly terrify me.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: neveragain on May 09, 2019, 11:21:55 AM
I really like Cherry Tree Lane, a great little thriller about home invasion. 'Minimalist horror' suggests 'thriller' to me so I think it fits in the thread.

Presume you've seen Them/ Ils?

holyzombiejesus

Sorry for the multi posting but I'd definitely put Paranormal Activity in here. For much of the film you're staring at a screen where absolutely nothing is happening and even when it does, it's often just a blanket moving or a door opening. Back in the days of karma, I got a lot of negative on here for praising it but I actually think it's (almost) up there with BWP.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: BlodwynPig on May 09, 2019, 02:52:11 PM
You are banned from the press screening of my new film Mintotaur XII: Spring Break

We both know that I'll turn up regardless.

What you DON'T know is that I've got a large bucket of offal rotting away nicely in direct sunlight and I'm spraying it with water regularly as well just to make sure it doesn't dry out.  Saving it for the interviews after when I dump it all over you and then put the footage on my YouTube channel (0 subscribers).

studpuppet

The Orphanage has stayed with me ever since I saw it - literally made me cry at the end and it's the only scary movie I've ever tried to get my partner to watch (she still refused). I'd regard it as minimalist in that there's no gore, and there's little use of effects to convey the story.

holyzombiejesus

Isn't there that jump scare with the woman with the squashed head?

Are jump scares minimalist?

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on May 09, 2019, 03:18:25 PM
Isn't there that jump scare with the woman with the squashed head?

Are jump scares minimalist?

Depends what the jump scare is I guess.  Isn't it Michele Soavi's The Church which has one single jump scare and it's, literally, a cat jumping out of a cupboard?

Jump scares are probably the only tired old trope that nevertheless still gets the desired reaction most of the time, even from the most cynical viewers.