Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 08:02:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Great Realistic Minimalist Horror

Started by MortSahlFan, May 08, 2019, 12:21:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Junglist

Raw, The Eyes of My Mother, Naboer, Goodnight Mommy, Spring, Ég man þig, Sauna, Possum, I Am A Ghost, Shrew's Nest, As Boas Maneiras (mishmash of multiple genres and probably doesn't fit the remit but what a fucking film), November and Aterrados.

Admittedly some of them have some blood/gore.

MortSahlFan

Quote from: Sin Agog on May 09, 2019, 11:19:06 PM
Morty, is that Roald Dahl-scripted horror you mentioned in the OP any good?  Never heard of it before.
I didn't mention anything by Roald Dahl, but every movie I mentioned was one I really liked, including the first title, "Room For Rent".

chveik

Sin Agog

Quote from: MortSahlFan on May 09, 2019, 11:59:39 PM
I didn't mention anything by Roald Dahl, but every movie I mentioned was one I really liked, including the first title, "Room For Rent".

He wrote The Road Builder, at least according to my mate Ian MDB.

Junglist

Oh also A Dark Song which is criminally underrated.

MortSahlFan

Quote from: Sin Agog on May 10, 2019, 12:05:29 AM
He wrote The Road Builder, at least according to my mate Ian MDB.
Sorry, my mistake. I went on his Wiki page and tried to find something.

I just went on my IMDB ratings, and saw I gave it an 8/10. If you check it out, please reply back with what you thought about it. Also known as "The Night Digger" (in case you have trouble finding it).

BlodwynPig

holyzombiejesus

There's a great Australian film, Long Weekend, about a couple who get lost in some woods near a beach and 'nature' decides to get it's own back on them. There's a great atmosphere of general benevolence.

Just seen that it was remade in 2008.

QuoteThe remake of Long Weekend has a 0% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes based on 5 reviews

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: BlodwynPig on May 10, 2019, 01:19:01 PM
Gozu

Well, up until the end.  Not sure I would call it realistic or minimalist at that point.

Still, the lack of minotaurs makes it more believable now you've turned them into sort-of latter-day-Freddy comedy characters.

zomgmouse

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on May 10, 2019, 02:32:42 PM
There's a great Australian film, Long Weekend, about a couple who get lost in some woods near a beach and 'nature' decides to get it's own back on them. There's a great atmosphere of general benevolence.

Ooh yeah great call!

MortSahlFan

Just seen that it was remade in 2008.
The original was ok, so I definitely wasn't planning on seeing a re-make.

Keebleman

There's a great atmosphere of general benevolence.

Thanks for the recommendation.  It sounds like a good film to settle my nervous little four-year-old whenever she can't sleep. 

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on May 10, 2019, 02:42:37 PM
Well, up until the end.  Not sure I would call it realistic or minimalist at that point.

Still, the lack of minotaurs makes it more believable now you've turned them into sort-of latter-day-Freddy comedy characters.

Sorry I didn't read the title of the thread.

What is that film with the Red Devil and the little girl crying in a thunderstorm as cattle walk about?

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: BlodwynPig on May 10, 2019, 06:35:49 PM
What is that film with the Red Devil and the little girl crying in a thunderstorm as cattle walk about?

Doesn't ring any bells with me.  Unless it's a scene you've dreamt for your upcoming Minotaur/Cerberus crossover.

I should also like to suggest Bob Balaban's Parents.

BlodwynPig

studpuppet

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on May 09, 2019, 03:24:39 PM
Isn't it Michele Soavi's The Church which has one single jump scare and it's, literally, a cat jumping out of a cupboard?

https://youtu.be/Q4JA4mcDwL8?t=28

studpuppet

Quote from: Sin Agog on May 09, 2019, 09:47:03 PM
And Soon the Darkness

This has been on Talking Pictures TV recently, and I caught it halfway through, not knowing what the fuck it was. Not surprised in the slightest to discover that Brian Clemens was involved; it has the feel of an especially eerie episode of The Avengers.

zomgmouse

Ooh how about Don't Look Now?

And speaking of Australian films upthread, there's a couple of 70s Peter Weir ones that would fit in here well: The Cars That Ate Paris and The Plumber.

surreal

How about The Devil's Backbone from Del Toro?  Not as obviously magical/fantasy as Pan's Labyrinth, just a great creepy story.  Could also look at his first major movie Chronos as well.

MortSahlFan

Robin Williams in "One-Hour Photo".

Frazer

Ghost Footage (2011)

I recommend this little cracker, it's certainly minimalist and realistic.

QuoteJason Greenwood films the hauntings in his home in hopes to figure out what it wants. Three years later he starts to vlog his story of hauntings and that turns out to be a bad idea.

St_Eddie

Quote from: MortSahlFan on May 12, 2019, 12:57:31 PM
Robin Williams in "One-Hour Photo".

That's a great film and one which makes me wish that Robin Williams had taken more serious roles within his lifetime.

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: St_Eddie on May 12, 2019, 10:15:23 PM
That's a great film and one which makes me wish that Robin Williams had taken more serious roles within his lifetime.

Definitely, aside from Hook it's my favourite thing he's done and I find his performance really mesmerising to the point where even watching a little bit of it will get me hooked into watching the whole thing.

Dannyhood91

Killing of a Sacred Deer is the last horror film to really unsettle me.

Sin Agog

Robin Williams in the music video to Don't Worry Be Happy.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Avril Lavigne on May 12, 2019, 10:33:52 PM
Definitely, aside from Hook it's my favourite thing he's done and I find his performance really mesmerising to the point where even watching a little bit of it will get me hooked into watching the whole thing.

Absolutely.  One Hour Photo is the very embodiment of the phenomenon that is 'just gonna watch a bit of this... oh, now I've only gone done and watched the whole bloody thing'.

holyzombiejesus

When I saw OOP at the cinema, I had to ask someone to shut the fuck up and stop taking. He cornered me after the film and rather than apologise or hit me, he asked my opinion of it. He told me he preferred Williams "as a fast gag funny man" which is what he is now officially known as in our house.

purlieu

Yeah, One Hour Photo is a deeply unsettling film, perfectly played.

How about Lake Mungo? I know it has its detractors (cunts), but it's a lovely, slow-paced, brooding atmospheric film with an unpredictable plot and a scene that scared the bejeezus out of me in a way that most films don't.

Or you could just sod the minimalism and go with Death Bed: The Bed That Eats and be done with it.

greenman

Quote from: Dannyhood91 on May 12, 2019, 11:32:53 PM
Killing of a Sacred Deer is the last horror film to really unsettle me.

By the same token CaB favourite Under the Skin, mix of the strange and the absolutely mundane.

zomgmouse

Kill List would almost definitely fit under this category.