Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:26:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Danny Baker. #CANCELLED.

Started by king_tubby, May 08, 2019, 08:40:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrGreggles

BritishHobo

It's fine, as when the new royal baby is eventually cancelled then Danny Baker will be vindicated.

Twed

Brendan O'Neill column about how Baker is a hero of free speech and a victim of outrage culture in 3....2....1.....

He's apologised for it. Let's see what happens next.

biggytitbo

A completely inadvertent bit of whimsy, he realised people might find it racist, he deleted it.

Literally a non story but that won't stop them will it?

Beagle 2

First Bob Marley and now this.

He could say he was researching for a book.

idunnosomename

That is a dapper ape, I have to admit.

DrGreggles

Ah, just had it explained to me.

Probably says more about the complainants than Baker TBH.
I wouldn't have made that leap anyway.

rue the polywhirl

I like how his apology had been called BIZARRE. He posted an image, didn't realise it might have caused offence till someone pointed out the potential for offence and then he took it down and said sorry. 

Internet - "NOOOOO THAT IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH. WE WANT BLOOOOOD... #CANCELCRUCIFIXION"

Alberon

Further evidence, if any was needed, that no one should ever post anything on social media because one inadequately thought out post could get everyone saying this

Twed

Really, unless your criticism is "he should have realised that people would interpret this as racist" you're being disingenuous as fuck. Who really believes that Baker posted this because he wanted to make a black people/monkey joke? Nobody believes that.

touchingcloth

It's disgusting what he's implying about apes.

Twed

I often use "monkey" instead of "foobar" as an example name in programming, documentation etc. and I realise I'm going to have to train myself out of doing that.

easytarget

Quote from: Twed on May 08, 2019, 09:01:40 PM
Who really believes that Baker posted this because he wanted to make a black people/monkey joke? Nobody believes that.
Quite. There's never been a trace of that in anything I've seen.

phantom_power

Does anyone other than the twat in the OP give a shit about it?

Beagle 2

I suppose if you didn't know that Danny Baker loves shit monkey whimsy and gets leathered in front of Twitter every night you might... no, you'd still have to be monumentally thick to take offence.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: biggytitbo on May 08, 2019, 08:49:55 PM
A completely inadvertent bit of whimsy, he realised people might find it racist, he deleted it.

Literally a non story but that won't stop them will it?

I agree, but he's an intelligent man, he should've realised before tweeting his daft picture of a chimp wearing a bowler hat that it could be construed as massively racist. It's not a complicated thought process: "Hey, that funny chimp pic might get a laugh, I'll... oh wait, hang on, no."

As Monsieur Verdoux says, Baker's stupid mistake has provided 'PC gone mad' twats like Brendan O'Neill with a platform to project their odious views. That wasn't Baker's intention, obviously, but fucking hell.

Also, Baker is stubbornly incapable of admitting that he could possibly be wrong about anything. Yes, he's apologised, no offence was intended, but his apology basically amounted to: "Ah! But anyone who thinks that tweet was racist is the real racist here!"

JUST SAY YOU'RE GENUINELY FUCKING SORRY, DAN. Christ.

Anyway. Yes. Nobody actually thinks that Danny Baker thought it would be funny to compare a mixed race child to a monkey. That's bonkers.

Beagle 2

He won't apologise, because as much as I love him and his output, he is also a bit of a knobhead.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Knobhead whose ego has been inflated by hanging around yes men and lackeys.

Quote from: Beagle 2 on May 08, 2019, 09:14:32 PM
He won't apologise, because as much as I love him and his output, he is also a bit of a knobhead.

My thoughts entirely. I do love the man, but he doesn't half talk a load of exasperating shit sometimes. He's clearly not a bigot, though.

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on May 08, 2019, 09:16:19 PM
Knobhead whose ego has been inflated by hanging around yes men and lackeys.

You're thinking of Chris Evans. Baker's ego needs no encouragement.

phantom_power

Quote from: Beagle 2 on May 08, 2019, 09:14:32 PM

He won't apologise now because he has already apologised

touchingcloth

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on May 08, 2019, 09:17:20 PM
My thoughts entirely. I do love the man, but he doesn't half talk a load of exasperating shit sometimes. He's clearly not a bigot, though.

You're thinking of Chris Evans. Baker's ego needs no encouragement.

There was that n-word incident.

Quote from: phantom_power on May 08, 2019, 09:18:03 PM
He won't apologise now because he has already apologised

He has and that should be the end of this.

biggytitbo

I just enjoy the idea that so many people think Baker genuinely though it would be a great idea to post a racist joke, because he wanted to to commit career suicide for no apperent reason, delete it, then carry on tweeting about football. There is no other possibility is there?

Zetetic