Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:00:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Danny Baker. #CANCELLED.

Started by king_tubby, May 08, 2019, 08:40:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

studpuppet

Funcrusher

Quote from: Utter Shit on May 09, 2019, 10:58:03 AM
Anyone who isn't aware of that racist connection needs to have a word with themselves.

Rubbish

Crabwalk

He's taking aim at the BBC suits on twitter right now. Pull up a pew...

Beagle 2

I'm amazed he's lasted as long as he has at the BBC to be honest, I never understood their fire him hire him policy. He's never going to behave, on air or online, so if you're so bothered by it, let him go and work elsewhere.

studpuppet

Quote from: Crabwalk on May 09, 2019, 10:59:33 AM
The final volume of his autobiography will now be titled 'Own Goals & Gaffes'.

The German title is Übersetzungen und Affen..

Alberon

I think it was just thoughtlessness on his part rather than racism, but he can't really complain about the sacking.

If you're famous, and occasionally even if you're not, you have to be very careful what you put on social media.

Quote from: Jumblegraws on May 09, 2019, 09:39:16 AM
This is a pretty weak counterpoint, we shouldn't be shaming people for having a heightened awareness of the forms prejudice can take or discomfort with things that are redolent of those forms.

I think we absolutely should shame these people. Not for having a heightened awareness of the forms prejudice can take, or discomfort with things that are redolent of those forms, but for being unrelenting cunts.
Not only do they tell the teacher on the kid that accidentally broke a window, they demand they be at least suspended and their parents informed as well. Snivelling righteous little no life's.

gilbertharding

I remember listening to his final BBC London (?) show - I presume on 'catch up' where he ranted for a solid hour about being sacked... and wondered how come he was being lionized for this when to me it reeked of DLTs 'changes are being made here which go against my principles and I just cannot agree with them" crap.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Crabwalk on May 09, 2019, 11:02:27 AM
He's taking aim at the BBC suits on twitter right now. Pull up a pew...

Couldn't you just summarise the overall messages within which Mr. Baker will express his ire towards his former employers? I think those tweets will be truly deserving of this treatment.

After all, Petulance Wins Precis.

madhair60

The ladies in my office are outraged that Danny would tweet such a thing. "That's somebody's child!"

Didn't know Meghan Morkle was mixed race until I googled it just now. Absolute zero interest for the royal family beyond tokenistically chuckling at people wishing them whimsical deaths on here. Thread didn't make much sense before. 

Funcrusher

Quote from: phantom_power on May 09, 2019, 10:39:10 AM
Well done. You have shown an example of disingenuous taking of offence we have been talking about. Can you put in a link to the tweet?

It's great that one of this little group of brainless robots come out of the woodwork to post the same HURR DURR ITS PC GONE MAD!!!! post they do every time, even when clearly this is an overreaction where the apology should have sufficed.

up_the_hampipe

What was the joke supposed to be if it wasn't racist? People keep saying the racial take was misconstrued, but what was the joke then? Not saying he intended it to be racist, I just don't know what he was intending. Maybe he's just shit.

Jumblegraws

Quote from: solidified gruel merchant on May 09, 2019, 11:04:47 AM
I think we absolutely should shame these people. Not for having a heightened awareness of the forms prejudice can take, or discomfort with things that are redolent of those forms, but for being unrelenting cunts.
Not only do they tell the teacher on the kid that accidentally broke a window, they demand they be at least suspended and their parents informed as well. Snivelling righteous little no life's.
If the BBC have sacked him largely because of the fuss kicked up here, that's on the BBC, not the fuss-kickers.

I don't see how you can accept that a lot of people are rightly sensitive about racism but complain when they respond accordingly to something like this.

Funcrusher

Quote from: Cuellar on May 09, 2019, 11:07:01 AM
For someone obsessed with football, as Baker seems to be, to claim ignorance is even MORE ridiculous.

https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/monkey-noises-montenegro-fans-vs-england-racist-abuse-danny-rose-raheem-sterling/

Monkey chants aimed at children

Euro 2012: Uefa investigates allegations of racism by fans

I mean, it's endless.

So you're saying it was posted with racist intent and he is a racist, as how could he not have made that link?

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on May 09, 2019, 11:07:30 AM
What was the joke supposed to be if it wasn't racist? People keep saying the racial take was misconstrued, but what was the joke then? Not saying he intended it to be racist, I just don't know what he was intending. Maybe he's just shit.

Just being daft, I think. To be fair, I don't think that picture had any racist intent whatsoever.

Alberon

It's basic common sense. If they are even partly ethnically African you don't infer they're monkeys, apes or whatever. If they're Jewish you don't call them lizards. And, of course, any reference linking Belgians and Llamas is an immediately sackable offence.

Cuellar

Quote from: Funcrusher on May 09, 2019, 11:09:06 AM
So you're saying it was posted with racist intent and he is a racist, as how could he not have made that link?

I'm saying the 'black people = monkeys' is a well known footballing trope, so it seems far-fetched to say he had zero idea that it existed.

He probably didn't mean it to be racist (although, as hampipe says, what's the joke?). Nevertheless, he should have been aware of the implication and not done it.

lankyguy95

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on May 09, 2019, 11:07:30 AM
Royal family = circus animals

Utter Shit

Quote from: Funcrusher on May 09, 2019, 11:02:16 AM
Rubbish

Christ almighty it isn't fucking rubbish. Educate yourself.

Funcrusher

Quote from: Jumblegraws on May 09, 2019, 11:08:46 AM
If the BBC have sacked him largely because of the fuss kicked up here, that's on the BBC, not the fuss-kickers.

I don't see how you can accept that a lot of people are rightly sensitive about racism but complain when they respond accordingly to something like this.

Danny Baker is not a racist and has inadvertently made a mistake. What is achieved by pillorying him? He apologised very fully and deleted the tweet ASAP, If you oppose racism your opponents are racists. If you're a posturing virtue signaller your opposition is potentially everyone.

Funcrusher

Quote from: Utter Shit on May 09, 2019, 11:12:04 AM
Christ almighty it isn't fucking rubbish. Educate yourself.

So Danny Baker is a racist? Given some of the idiotic shit you've posted here over the years, I won't be taking any lectures on education from you.

Danger Man

QuoteMeghan Markle and Prince Harry are reportedly planning to paint their nursery in gender neutral colours.

https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2019/01/25/meghan-markle-prince-harry-gender-neutral/

So Danny should be sacked for posting a picture of a monkey in a suit.

Funcrusher

Quote from: Cuellar on May 09, 2019, 11:11:48 AM
I'm saying the 'black people = monkeys' is a well known footballing trope, so it seems far-fetched to say he had zero idea that it existed.

He probably didn't mean it to be racist (although, as hampipe says, what's the joke?). Nevertheless, he should have been aware of the implication and not done it.

And he has realised for his oversight and apologised. What else can he do?

lankyguy95

Quote from: Cuellar on May 09, 2019, 11:11:48 AM
I don't think that's the issue though. I, and many other people, are aware of the connection and yet didn't immediately join the dots when we saw the tweet. Clearly Baker didn't as well.

Utter Shit

Quote from: Funcrusher on May 09, 2019, 11:13:38 AM
So Danny Baker is a racist? Given some of the idiotic shit you've posted here over the years, I won't be taking any lectures on education from you.

Learn to read as part of educating yourself, I have literally already said that it is "much more likely to have been ridiculously stupid misjudgement rather than deliberate racism".

I've said plenty of idiotic stuff over the years, but I've never been stupid enough to accidentally make myself appear racist, or to feign ignorance towards one of the most famous racist tropes.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Alberon on May 09, 2019, 11:04:34 AM
I think it was just thoughtlessness on his part rather than racism, but he can't really complain about the sacking.

If you're famous, and occasionally even if you're not, you have to be very careful what you put on social media.

Can't we as a society try being more reasonable instead? Let's accept that people make mistakes or cross lines sometimes, and hope they apologise and learn from it. Seems a bit defeatist to say "well that's what ya get for tweeting dumb jokes". It's disproportionate, he shouldn't have been fired. People shouldn't be fired for this, unless there's a pattern of real intentional hate speech.