Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,182
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 04:47:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Danny Baker. #CANCELLED.

Started by king_tubby, May 08, 2019, 08:40:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buelligan

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 16, 2019, 12:21:00 PM
I don't doubt some of it's schtick. Some of it is laziness as well I reckon, hence why he seems to tell the same anecdotes in interviews but makes them sound spontaneous.

Yes, and he's obviously too lazy to have a proper wash as well.

Utter Shit

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on May 16, 2019, 10:26:44 AM
also- I just remembered this- I worked on both 'own goals & gaffes' & 'hard men of football' back in 1992, with the producer jim r.
he'd hired DB to do the voiceovers for both & we sent him rough-cuts of the shows so that he could write his remarks. he turned up, that fateful tuesday, not only sans script, but having failed to watch the rough-cuts, & determined to 'wing it'. twelve hours later we sent him home, & instructed him to come back in a few days when we'd all recovered & he'd had time to actually write something. he got £10k for that gig.
for the next show, jim hired alan parry instead, & we were finished by lunchtime, even with me driving the edit suite.

I'm not sure what your point is here - a whole generation of football fans remember the Own Goals and Gaffes videos, including myself. I doubt anyone remembers the Alan Parry ones, I certainly don't.

Whatever you think about Baker's methods of working, he made those videos memorable in a way few others could - Nick Hancock is the only one remotely comparable.

Also, the idea that he deliberately posted something racist as a way of getting out of his radio show is just completely bonkers. If he wanted out, wouldn't he have done his usual thing of rallying against the suits above him? That way he would retain his anti-establishment vibe and legion of fans, without...well, without outing himself as a racist. It doesn't make any sense.

Buelligan

Well, unless he is an racist.

Lonely trapped.  Screaming silently for years, I am a big racistttttt!

Could be.

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on May 16, 2019, 10:26:44 AMalso- I just remembered this- I worked on both 'own goals & gaffes' & 'hard men of football' back in 1992, with the producer jim r.
he'd hired DB to do the voiceovers for both & we sent him rough-cuts of the shows so that he could write his remarks. he turned up, that fateful tuesday, not only sans script, but having failed to watch the rough-cuts, & determined to 'wing it'. twelve hours later we sent him home, & instructed him to come back in a few days when we'd all recovered & he'd had time to actually write something. he got £10k for that gig.
for the next show, jim hired alan parry instead, & we were finished by lunchtime, even with me driving the edit suite.

Quote from: Utter Shit on May 16, 2019, 12:27:46 PM
I'm not sure what your point is here - a whole generation of football fans remember the Own Goals and Gaffes videos, including myself. I doubt anyone remembers the Alan Parry ones, I certainly don't.

Whatever you think about Baker's methods of working, he made those videos memorable in a way few others could - Nick Hancock is the only one remotely comparable.

Didn't Danny Baker come up with the Own Goals and Gaffs concept himself? In which case he'd be part of the whole deal rather than being hired? That might explain the annoying spelling mistake anyway (aint having that poofy-looking gaffe).
That's the claim on the back of one of the vids anyway - maybe he wrote it himself. "Hail Dan!"
   Click to enlarge.

madhair60

Is "Own Goals and Gaffes" the one where someone in the crowd yells "GET ON WITH IT, YOU TOSSERS" and then there is almost immediately a goal? Classic

Ferris

Quote from: Bennett Brauer on May 16, 2019, 12:44:13 PM

Is that Danny Baker making an allusion to the three monkeys who "see no evil, speak no evil, hear no evil" there?

If so, it's a fantastic call-back to bookend your career with monkey content.

DrGreggles

Quote from: madhair60 on May 16, 2019, 01:36:04 PM
Is "Own Goals and Gaffes" the one where someone in the crowd yells "GET ON WITH IT, YOU TOSSERS" and then there is almost immediately a goal? Classic

I think that's Freak Football.
It's on the YouTube (albeit cut up into little pieces).

Edit: @2:48 https://youtu.be/kzJRLEsS7Bo

madhair60

LEGEND. Used to love that one.

a duncandisorderly

Didn't Danny Baker come up with the Own Goals and Gaffs concept himself? In which case he'd be part of the whole deal rather than being hired? That might explain the annoying spelling mistake anyway (aint having that poofy-looking gaffe).
That's the claim on the back of one of the vids anyway - maybe he wrote it himself. "Hail Dan!"
   Click to enlarge.

that's a much later one. DVDs weren't even invented when the first one was made.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Utter Shit on May 16, 2019, 12:27:46 PM

Also, the idea that he deliberately posted something racist as a way of getting out of his radio show is just completely bonkers. If he wanted out, wouldn't he have done his usual thing of rallying against the suits above him? That way he would retain his anti-establishment vibe and legion of fans, without...well, without outing himself as a racist. It doesn't make any sense.

in order, then-

there were any number of well-known footy commentators & pundits available to do the job, & jim could've hired any of them, but baker was the funniest. apparently. in 1992, parry had currency as a recognisable voice of football. what's become of these folks in the intervening years, or how successful each VHS release was, is after the fact.

his methods of working were lazy & rude, especially considering his fee for the writing & a day in the v/o room. jim spent hundreds of hours assembling the clips; all baker had to do was watch them a couple of times before coming in. instead he decided to 'wing it', while jim paid a fortune for the suite.

he's been 'rallying against the suits' during his radio show for ages. I think that the saturday morning slot is a difficult one to fill for some reason, but baker has been making semi-serious complaints about this schedule, & why he isn't doing a breakfast show weekdays. I'm serious- he may not have had a better way out of his production company's contract with the beeb.

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on May 16, 2019, 01:50:51 PM
that's a much later one.

I know. My point was the claims in the blurb: "The Original Football Dunderheads Show written and presented once more by The Man Who Started IT ALL. Hail Dan!". And "Hallelujah, it is back in the hands, eyes and mouth of the man who started the muddy ball rolling." The more I look at it, the more it reads like Baker himself wrote that. So is it his concept or is he just boasting about having once put his voice to it? Quite the ego.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Bennett Brauer on May 16, 2019, 02:30:11 PM
I know. My point was the claims in the blurb: "The Original Football Dunderheads Show written and presented once more by The Man Who Started IT ALL. Hail Dan!". And "Hallelujah, it is back in the hands, eyes and mouth of the man who started the muddy ball rolling." The more I look at it, the more it reads like Baker himself wrote that. So is it his concept or is he just boasting about having once put his voice to it? Quite the ego.

he might well have had the idea for the clips tape, but he knew fuck-all about the actual clips when it came time to jocularise over them.

the compilation of that first tape, & the 'hard men' tape, were the work of jim, the producer. he went on holiday after delivering them to polygram or whoever it was, & came back to find the 'gazza vs vinnie jones' story all over the tabloids, with stills from the video on the front pages.

Largely irrelevant anecdote, not that it's going to stop me. I knew someone who worked on a football clips video presented by Johnny Vaughan. For reasons now forgotten (at least by me) one sequence involved him playing swingball with a rabbit.  Well, a runner in a rabbit costume who couldn't see the ball through all the heat, velour, sweat and swearing. Vaughan stormed off, yelling "why did you book a fucking rabbit that can't even play swingball?"

Even more irrelevantly, I met him a few years ago and he (Vaughan, not rabbit) had a encyclopaedic knowledge of the Stephen Potter Lifemanship/Oneupmanship books.

Back to Danny Baker. Esther.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: madhair60 on May 16, 2019, 01:36:04 PM

My mate was at a rangers game where a bloke (in the parent and child area, no less) decides the best encouragement he can give his team is 'I've got ten quid on this coupon, FUCKING SORT IT OUT'.

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: sick as a pike on May 16, 2019, 03:24:01 PM
Largely irrelevant anecdote, not that it's going to stop me. I knew someone who worked on a football clips video presented by Johnny Vaughan.

Could have been another in the Own Goals and Gaffs franchise - I know he did one and Rory McGrath did another. I trust Baker was on a healthy percentage as The Man Who Started IT ALL. Hail Dan!

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on May 16, 2019, 01:39:30 PM
Is that Danny Baker making an allusion to the three monkeys who "see no evil, speak no evil, hear no evil" there?

If so, it's a fantastic call-back to bookend your career with monkey content.

'Ave a word wiv yerself, Danny.

a duncandisorderly

this is the 1992 vhs.

"soccer's hard men" came from the same production company; jim got vinnie jones to voice that one. another clips show that baker was supposed to do was instead done by alan parry, but by 1993 (by which time I'd moved on to Mtv) the rift had healed; baker was hired again to do "right hammerings".

Utter Shit

To be honest I don't really know why Cassandra's dad was ever even considered, he's a paper merchant, nothing to do with football.

QDRPHNC

Quote from: Jumblegraws on May 11, 2019, 11:15:21 PM
The situation reminds me of the case of David Howard.

Are you a fan of Dave Trott's blog too?

robhug

I purchased a tshirt from Viz in the mid-90s featuring a daz era caricature of Baker holding a microphone and a packet of daz along with 'Danny Baker' written above his head and 'Is a Twat' written beneath.

Viz merchandising being what it is i received 2 of these by mistake, then another 4 over the course of the next 2 weeks to have a grand total of 6 Danny Baker is a twat tshirts. They were our college 5-a side team kit for a whole season.

I feel ashamed we did this after recent events.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: robhug on May 16, 2019, 05:30:57 PM
I purchased a tshirt from Viz in the mid-90s featuring a daz era caricature of Baker holding a microphone and a packet of daz along with 'Danny Baker' written above his head and 'Is a Twat' written beneath.

Viz merchandising being what it is i received 2 of these by mistake, then another 4 over the course of the next 2 weeks to have a grand total of 6 Danny Baker is a twat tshirts. They were our college 5-a side team kit for a whole season.

I feel ashamed we did this after recent events.

excellent. did you read chris donald's tweet? [edit] simon. simon donald.

https://twitter.com/simondonald/status/1126505055719284736

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: sponk on May 16, 2019, 10:32:28 AM
One thing that's always irked me is how he tries to portray his dear old dad as a salt of the earth loveable rogue type, even when he's telling a story about him choking Harry Enfield for swearing at him or something. He seems to have a violent streak in him too, or at least he isn't hesitant about threatening people with violence.

Yeah I've mentioned this before, but his dad seemed like a cunt. Did some time in stir, too.

sponk

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on May 16, 2019, 05:56:11 PM
excellent. did you read chris donald's tweet? [edit] simon. simon donald.

https://twitter.com/simondonald/status/1126505055719284736

Chris spoke quite fondly of Baker in Rude Kids and said those Danny Wanker toons weren't really serious.

mr. logic

Quote from: sponk on May 16, 2019, 06:17:20 PM
Chris spoke quite fondly of Baker in Rude Kids and said those Danny Wanker toons weren't really serious.

He didn't. He mentioned a fax correspondence where Baker's forced jocularity and loquaciousness confirmed that he was (to Donald's eyes) a cunt.

dr beat

I came away with a decidedly mixed view of Donald after reading Rude Kids.

imitationleather

Quote from: Twed on May 15, 2019, 09:20:20 PM
The dog is literally not aware of the cake

The reaction is edited in

(I'm talking about this video specifically, I'm sure others are different but despite what I've just said about tangents I am not prepared to go down the rabbit hole of 'does a dog think a cake that looks like a dog being cut is actually a dog being cut' because the answer is 'you fucking idiot of course not do you understand anything? FFS. The dog isn't even in the same country as the cake most likely, what do you think this is? Dog action at a distance? Are we really discussing quantum doggery now? I HATE YOU')

Oh right, I didn't realise when you defended these videos that you hadn't even seen the ones I was talking about. You're worse than Evil Hitler and twice as ugly.

Twed

To be fair neither had the dogs. And now here you are, comparing dogs to Hitler.

sponk

As hilarious as this is, I don't think it deserves its own thread but I assume it's a Baker reference so I thought I'd post it here. He retweeted it himself. Obviously very proud.

Shit Good Nose

That chimp is blatantly looking at page 3.  CHAUVINIST CHIMP CANCELLED!!!