Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:04:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Danny Baker. #CANCELLED.

Started by king_tubby, May 08, 2019, 08:40:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twed

baptist

If Nigel Farage had posted that picture you would all immediately say he was a racist. Baker, meh! The hypocrisy is laughable.

Twed

Butchers Blind

It would all be different if he posted a lizard in suit.

biggytitbo

He also felt the racial purity of Sir Lord Prince Archie was the battle he wanted to end his career on. There is no possible other explanation.

Cuellar

Good I'm glad he's cancelled.

Remember when he told his listeners to go round and beat up a referee that didn't do or did do something about a footy wooty player in some sort of match?

I've never liked the guy.

Zetetic

Quote from: Twed on May 08, 2019, 09:24:59 PM
Four hundred million!

That is quite enjoyable. I was worried that the number would turn out to almost entirely impossible to enjoy.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on May 08, 2019, 09:19:08 PM
He has and that should be the end of this.

No I wish to taunt him once more.

DrGreggles

Quote from: baptist on May 08, 2019, 09:25:52 PM
If Nigel Farage had posted that picture you would all immediately say he was a racist. Baker, meh! The hypocrisy is laughable.

Not sure that's hypocrisy.
Farage IS a racist and would be posting such images because he's a racist.
Baker isn't a racist and likes posting silly old photos which he links to news stories.

BritishHobo

Yeah but if Prince Archie posted this picture and the ape was meant to be Danny Baker you'd be furious.

People love Royal babies. If the BBC don't rap his knuckles for this the Mail will say they're not patriotic. What on earth was he thinking? He wasn't, obviously.

Cuellar

If he'd posted this but instead of an elderly couple it was a 15 minute piece to camera about how Romanians are criminals you wouldn't bat an eyelid because he's metropolitan elite

idunnosomename

Quote from: Twed on May 08, 2019, 09:26:11 PM

God who is that and where did they find him. Look Around You S1 is an amazing thing really

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Twed on May 08, 2019, 09:01:40 PM
Really, unless your criticism is "he should have realised that people would interpret this as racist" you're being disingenuous as fuck. Who really believes that Baker posted this because he wanted to make a black people/monkey joke? Nobody believes that.

That rather begs the question of what satirical point he was trying to make in the first place. Danny Baker has been getting away with all kinds of shit for far too long, on the back of him being mildly witty when he used to write for NME , and came across as unpretentiously droll when hosting " Win, Lose Or Draw "all those years ago. he's a charmless Cockney cunt, and a shameless, unrepentant corroborater with Chris Evans on " TFI Friday ", being a prominent writer in Evans ' ascendant year of 1996 on that show. There are a lot of us out there who will never forget.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Cuellar on May 08, 2019, 09:28:05 PM
Good I'm glad he's cancelled.

Remember when he told his listeners to go round and beat up a referee that didn't do or did do something about a footy wooty player in some sort of match?

I've never liked the guy.

Backing yer man up, here.

BlodwynPig

Is deleting a tweet tantamount to saying it never happened?

phantom_power

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on May 08, 2019, 09:43:25 PM
That rather begs the question of what satirical point he was trying to make in the first place. Danny Baker has been getting away with all kinds of shit for far too long, on the back of him being mildly witty when he used to write for NME , and came across as unpretentiously droll when hosting " Win, Lose Or Draw "all those years ago. he's a charmless Cockney cunt, and a shameless, unrepentafnt corroborater with Chris Evans on " TFI Friday ", being a prominent writer in Evans ' ascendant year of 1996 on that show. There are a lot of us out there who will never forget.

There was no satirical point. It was just animal whimsy

Twed

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on May 08, 2019, 09:43:25 PM
That rather begs the question of what satirical point he was trying to make in the first place.
This hackneyed one:

The BBC has defended his Twitter stupidity/offensiveness in the past, so he might be alright. Pushing it though.

https://www.irishcentral.com/news/bbc-defends-danny-bakers-anti-irish-tweet-in-wake-of-boston-bombing-210975291-237595881

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: phantom_power on May 08, 2019, 09:51:56 PM
There was no satirical point. It was just animal whimsy

Yep. Baker's joke extended no further than: "Look at this ridiculous photograph."

He doesn't "do" satire, his comic persona is defined by an obsession with pop culture ephemera and esoteric trivia.

Butchers Blind

Quote from: BlodwynPig on May 08, 2019, 09:50:51 PM
Is deleting a tweet tantamount to saying it never happened?

He should take the Trump defence and claim it never happened despite all evidence to the contrary.

phantom_power

It was the olden days. People were a bit odd

thenoise

Quote from: rue the polywhirl on May 08, 2019, 09:00:49 PM
I like how his apology had been called BIZARRE. He posted an image, didn't realise it might have caused offence till someone pointed out the potential for offence and then he took it down and said sorry. 

Internet - "NOOOOO THAT IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH. WE WANT BLOOOOOD... #CANCELCRUCIFIXION"

I got bullied off a facebook group recently by one of the new prudish brigade, and they were absolutely livid when I offered a full apology and deleted the post they deliberately misinterpreted. Called me a coward and said I didn't even have the decency to stand by what I had said and defend it (in order that they could give me a fuller dressing down, of course).
I've tried so hard to defend this sort of behaviour but it's really hard when you are on the receiving end of the mob. It's pretty disgusting even if it does come from good intentions. I'm trying to persuade myself that it does some good occasionally, but I am beginning to have my doubts.

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on May 08, 2019, 09:43:25 PMa shameless, unrepentant corroborater with Chris Evans on " TFI Friday "

Always confirming stuff here and verifying stuff there.

It doesn't appear to be on youtube, but I was put off him a bit when he was interviewed in the street just after he left Radio London after an on-air rant at his bosses. He said something like "I'll come back from this, and do you know why? Because I'm Danny Baker". Then he walked away. I don't think he was joking.

Any road, I think his tweet was innocent, just the sort of daft thing he regularly posts.

touchingcloth

Zetetic

Did Mr Baker at any point indicate that he would or would not rape any of the people or animals depicted or referenced?

Buelligan

It's a bit surprising that someone immersed in the milieu of football isn't aware of the monkey trope.  I'm an individual who's categorically not connected in any way whatsoever to that world and yet, even I, am aware of the stories of banana throwing and other hilarious ape-related racist japes that are sadly part of the culture of the Glorious Game.

Also, I agree with those who don't like him on purely unreasonable grounds, he comes across as a self-satisfied smug prick, like Chris Evans, there, I've said it.  And he looks like he could do with a bath.  Gah.

gib

I have no time for him whatsoever but i genuinely believe that at the time he posted that he wasn't thinking about the kid's ethnicity. If he was he would no way make such a blunder. Nothing to see here.

Buelligan

Quote from: Buelligan on May 08, 2019, 11:52:23 PM
It's a bit surprising that someone immersed in the milieu of football isn't aware of the monkey trope.

Actually, thinking about it, I take it back.  I've just remembered Wayne Hennessy.