Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:24:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Danny Baker. #CANCELLED.

Started by king_tubby, May 08, 2019, 08:40:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beagle 2

That's staggering. They must have been looking for an excuse?

sponk

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on May 09, 2019, 10:32:53 AM
He's just been fired by the BBC. Bloody hell.

You can't even call a mixed race baby a money these days! Political correctness gone mad!

phantom_power

He would be the first to admit that he can be an opinionated, gobby twat I would think. That doesn't really tell the full story though. It's almost like he is a real human being who behaves differently at different times

Cuellar

Clarence House on the blower.

Danny Baker to stand for UKIP in the EU Elections.

Crabwalk

They'd clearly just been waiting for an excuse. Ridiculous.

Edit to add: Clearly it was an extremely thoughtless image to share, but I'm astonished anyone would think there was any racist intent behind it.

phantom_power

Quote from: sponk on May 09, 2019, 10:36:26 AM
You can't even call a mixed race baby a money these days! Political correctness gone mad!

Well done. You have shown an example of disingenuous taking of offence we have been talking about. Can you put in a link to the tweet?

Jumblegraws

Quote from: phantom_power on May 09, 2019, 10:29:02 AM
That is true and people stating that are within their rights. The problem is that others jump and act all outraged on other people's behalf or wilfully misinterpret the situation to suggest intent. People continuing to go on about it after he has deleted the tweet and apologised for instance
These claims about performative outrage rely on circular reasoning. How are you able to divine so confidently when people are being disingenuous? You can quite easily make a case that there was no racist intent here, can't you just do that instead of making assumptions about other people's sincerity?

gilbertharding

He and I parted ways when I heard him claim that no-one knew what instrument was playing on the pizzicato passages of the Animal Magic theme tune. Some people phoned in with some pretty educated guesses (it's more than one instrument, including strings, in a fucking great echo chamber) and he claimed that proved his point that 'no-one knows'. Fucking dickhead.

Has he pleaded "Moment of madness" yet?

lankyguy95

That is fucking unbelievable. What a spineless decision.

Beagle 2

Quote from: gilbertharding on May 09, 2019, 10:44:24 AM
He and I parted ways when I heard him claim that no-one knew what instrument was playing on the pizzicato passages of the Animal Magic theme tune. Some people phoned in with some pretty educated guesses (it's more than one instrument, including strings, in a fucking great echo chamber) and he claimed that proved his point that 'no-one knows'. Fucking dickhead.

Yes, he says things like that every week. It's a joke.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Beagle 2 on May 09, 2019, 10:46:02 AM
Yes, he says things like that every week. It's a joke.

Well, he's not for me then.

Danger Man

I'm mixed-race and I thought it was just another shit Danny Baker joke when I first saw the photo. Now the racist link has been pointed out to me, I'm genuinely glad he's been sacked. Thank God it wasn't somebody I liked, though.

Funcrusher

Hope this happens to a few more CAB favourites. It might be instructive.

Norton Canes

Looks like he could do with some PC tips.

biggytitbo

Fucking hell that's ridiculous. I always enjoy his show on a Saturday, best radio going. The BBC can fuck off even further than they already needed to.

Jockice

Quote from: Crabwalk on May 09, 2019, 10:38:33 AM
They'd clearly just been waiting for an excuse. Ridiculous.

Edit to add: Clearly it was an extremely thoughtless image to share, but I'm astonished anyone would think there was any racist intent behind it.

Agreed!

sponk

He's lost his job? Daz going to be a challenge for him.

Jumblegraws

Quote from: Funcrusher on May 09, 2019, 10:48:16 AM
Hope this happens to a few more CAB favourites. It might be instructive.
Instructive of what? That employer reputation protection clauses can be harsh?

biggytitbo

Quote from: Beagle 2 on May 09, 2019, 10:34:45 AM
That's staggering. They must have been looking for an excuse?

On last Saturday's show he was making fun of one of the BBC's stupid self promoting ads in between the news breaks.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: sponk on May 09, 2019, 10:53:27 AM
He's lost his job? Daz going to be a challenge for him.

Some you win, some you lose ( some you draw ).

Ambient Sheep

That's absolutely ludicrous.

ChalkSign me up as another who didn't make any such link between a monkey and a mixed-race child until it was pointed out, I'm in the "it says more about those who DO see the connection" camp.

buntyman

No way. I'm sure he's hard work behind the scenes but his radio show's always good fun whenever I tune in. So obvious that the tweet wasn't racist

Cuellar

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on May 09, 2019, 10:55:23 AM

ChalkSign me up as another who didn't make any such link between a monkey and a mixed-race child until it was pointed out, I'm in the "it says more about those who DO see the connection" camp.

What does it say about black or mixed-race people who have been on the receiving end of 'monkey' jibes?

Wet Blanket

Fired by the BBC for being inadvertently racist while Nigel Farage, much more often vertently racist on twitter, will be appearing on Question Time this very evening.

Utter Shit

I'm in the "it says more about those who DO see the connection" camp.

I agree that it's a bit mad that he has been sacked for something that, on balance, from everything we know about him, is much more likely to have been ridiculously stupid misjudgement rather than deliberate racism...but it really doesn't say more about those who see a connection. Anyone who isn't aware of that racist connection needs to have a word with themselves.

Pdine

Danger Man

Perhaps mixed-race people are so marginalised that nobody thinks they can be offended by things.

sponk

Quote from: phantom_power on May 09, 2019, 10:39:10 AM
Well done. You have shown an example of disingenuous taking of offence we have been talking about. Can you put in a link to the tweet?

What tweet?

Crabwalk

The final volume of his autobiography will now be titled 'Own Goals & Gaffes'.