Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:30:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Unbreakable Kimmy Bandersnatch

Started by Small Man Big Horse, May 09, 2019, 03:12:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

Yup, Kimmy Schmidt is coming back and it's going to be one of those crazy choose your own adventure type shows. Here's the AV Club's take on the story.

QuoteNetflix is bringing Kimmy Schmidt back for an interactive special

It's been four months since we said goodbye to the irrepressible, unflappable, and unrepentantly Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, with Kimmy, Titus, and the rest of their very weird family bidding fans a fairy tale farewell back in January. That, coincidentally, wasn't long after Netflix made major headlines with the first of its new "interactive" projects, the Black Mirror special "Bandersnatch," and now, those two apparently incompatible ideas are about to improbably collide.

Series creators Tina Fey and Robert Carlock announced today that they'll soon be bringing Kimmy back one last time, in the form of a new interactive special on the streaming service. Fey issued a statement today noting that viewers will be able to "make choices on behalf of our characters, taking different story paths with, of course, different jokes." She also referred to the special as a great way to "officially complete" the series, so if you didn't like the way any of the characters' arcs wrapped up, well, here's your chance to set their ultimate fates in stone.

This isn't the first the former 30 Rock writers have played around with their format like this, most notably with that series' famous live episodes broadcast back in 2010 and 2012. The Kimmy special is currently untitled, meanwhile, and is set to debut on Netflix in 2020.

I quite like the idea, but then I would as I'm a bit in love with her.

Icehaven

Bear Grylls has an interactive survival adventure thing on Netflix at the moment too, Mr. Haven and his son spent a very happy afternoon a few weeks ago trying to make him die repeatedly.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: icehaven on May 09, 2019, 03:22:33 PM
Bear Grylls has an interactive survival adventure thing on Netflix at the moment too, Mr. Haven and his son spent a very happy afternoon a few weeks ago trying to make him die repeatedly.

Is it possible to do so? I've not much interest in his work but if I can murder him I'd be tempted to play it.

Twed

Haha, capitalism. They see an art project* and wonder how they can franchise it.

* I haven't seen Bandersnatch so I don't know if calling it an art project is accurate or not

Chriddof

Bandersnatch was basically a deliberate comment on both Choose Your Own Adventures and the old FMV video game style of the 90s that's recently sort-of come back into style:

https://fmvworld.com/games.html

Ferris

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on May 09, 2019, 04:00:32 PM
Is it possible to do so? I've not much interest in his work but if I can murder him I'd be tempted to play it.

Alas, it is not possible. God knows me and Mrs Ferris tried.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on May 09, 2019, 04:00:32 PM

Nah.  He always pussies out and calls in the help, tells you off for making foolish decisions.  You can make him vomit a few times, though.

Ferris

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on May 09, 2019, 04:49:19 PM
Nah.  He always pussies out and calls in the help, tells you off for making foolish decisions.  You can make him vomit a few times, though.

Yeah, we had him eating bear shit the absolute cretin

Gulftastic

So, I can make Kimmy snog Xanthippe, then?

Icehaven

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on May 09, 2019, 04:29:36 PM
Alas, it is not possible. God knows me and Mrs Ferris tried.

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on May 09, 2019, 04:49:19 PM

No you just didn't get to the right bit. It's possible to make him walk about in snow enough that he has to barter sexual favours for food with a gang of bandits but halfway through proceedings hideous diarrhoea from eating fungi kicks in and they quarter him as punishment for soiling their vehicle.

j_u_d_a_s

There's already been an interactive comedy series by a company calling themselves Eko, That Moment When is a series of short episodes where you can decide the direction. They're lightweight and sort of fun but more a proof of concept than anything else. https://helloeko.com/

alan nagsworth

I adored Kimmy Schmidt for the most part but I still haven't finished the final season because I suddenly became so bored with the writing. Am I alone in this struggle?

Pseudopath

Quote from: j_u_d_a_s on May 10, 2019, 02:54:34 AM
There's already been an interactive comedy series by a company calling themselves Eko, That Moment When is a series of short episodes where you can decide the direction. They're lightweight and sort of fun but more a proof of concept than anything else. https://helloeko.com/

They're actually a lot funnier than I initially expected. The actress has some pretty good comedy chops, although it does at times play out like a harrowing portrayal of early-onset dementia.

Mister Six

Quote from: Twed on May 09, 2019, 04:05:58 PM
Haha, capitalism. They see an art project* and wonder how they can franchise it.

* I haven't seen Bandersnatch so I don't know if calling it an art project is accurate or not

Bandersnatch was commissioned to test the technology, so no.

Quote from: alan nagsworth on May 10, 2019, 07:56:17 AM
I adored Kimmy Schmidt for the most part but I still haven't finished the final season because I suddenly became so bored with the writing. Am I alone in this struggle?

I think I dropped off somewhere around the Lemonade parody season (three?). The thing is, 30 Rock started off in a semi-plausible comedy universe and then scaled the craziness up to what I found to be an ideal level. Kimmy Schmidt started off at that level and then scaled up the craziness to the point that the characters were so far removed from recognisable human behaviour that they might as well have been played by a bunch of squawking, brightly coloured primary shapes.

alan nagsworth

Yeah. Also that fucking Bernie Sanders guy was insufferable. I'm glad he died. Didn't he just like, inexplicably die really quick, and from one episode to the next he was suddenly just not alive any more? Am I remembering that right? Or did I just hate him so much my brain completely tuned it out?

alan nagsworth

EVERY FUCKING TIME Kimmy or ANYONE else would say something wacky and mental the camera would cut to him and he'd do this "fair enough!" pout/eyebrow raise/nod thing. EVERY TIME. Fucking shit character.