Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:39:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The shitness of AVGN

Started by Twed, May 09, 2019, 03:59:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nowhere Man

Culkin also did that advert for Google.

I wonder how much he gets in royalties from Home Alone?

NoSleep

Culkin gets mostly dead presidents from Home Alone.

AVGN is much more James Rolfe nowadays. I watched his (James Rolfe's) rundown on all the Dracula films recently (trying to fathom which was most faithful to the book) which was fun.

SavageHedgehog

On the subject of Doug Walker I think this might be the most absurd video made by a professional YouTuber. It could have worked in list format with links to the actual reviews, but to chop up other people's three minute reviews and play clips in the wrong order so you can explain why you think they're funny?

Replies From View

Quote from: bgmnts on May 11, 2019, 05:43:53 AM
Caulkin has been whoring himself around like a right tart.

He did an intro for OSW Review and was in an episode of RLM's Half in the Bag. Trying to be another Wil Wheaton-esque minor nerd celeb?

Not sure about this.  Culkin undoubtedly experienced a lot of shit in his early adulthood as a direct consequence of being a child movie star, and I can imagine that he values being able to embrace his cult status as a process of reconciling with his past.  RLM are a down-to-earth group of funny people who could meet him on his own level rather than fawn over him.

Plus he may have had a project he wanted to promote.

bgmnts

Quote from: Replies From View on May 11, 2019, 11:00:47 AM
Not sure about this.  Culkin undoubtedly experienced a lot of shit in his early adulthood as a direct consequence of being a child movie star, and I can imagine that he values being able to embrace his cult status as a process of reconciling with his past.  RLM are a down-to-earth group of funny people who could meet him on his own level rather than fawn over him.

Genuinely wasn't trying to slag him off or anything I was being flippant in my language. He seems a good egg and I enjoy these cult status guys popping up on little youtube channels. Just mentioning that I noticed it.

Hey, Punk!

Quote from: Phil_A on May 10, 2019, 08:45:47 PM
I'm not even sure he is, is he? Certainly that dossier of Channel Awesome's misdeeds that was doing the rounds last year did not paint him in a flattering light. The best you could say was he's just incompetent and hopelessly naive, at worst so self-absorbed and ego-driven that he was incapable of realising what an utter shitshow he was largely responsible for. He's probably not as much of an arsehole as his terrible brother, I guess.

I admit to not knowing much of him outside the NC character, although I do now vaguely remember that he was extremely difficult to work with on that film he made, but I can't remember the details.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Hey, Punk! on May 11, 2019, 03:49:49 PM
I admit to not knowing much of him outside the NC character, although I do now vaguely remember that he was extremely difficult to work with on that film he made, but I can't remember the details.

As Phil_A alluded to, it was mostly a case of him being technically incompetent (to the point of needing someone else to turn a stationary camera on and off, when filming himself because he didn't know how to do it himself), whilst simultaneously taking himself very seriously and acting as though he were the next Steven Spielberg.

Quote from: Replies From View on May 11, 2019, 11:00:47 AM

Yeah he has that 'Bunny Ears' podcast.

Spiteface

I liked James Rolfe's "noob's review" or Power Rangers in which he actually gives it a fair shot when he realises it ties into his passion for Godzilla movies:

Part 1: https://youtu.be/oLWnl2fBy3Q
Part 2: https://youtu.be/KYazryuNO1g
AVGN episode on various PR games: https://youtu.be/Ht5NmRtWb88

That last one has him singing the Zyuranger theme.

Z

Haven't watched him in a few years but I liked Rolfe. I think all the faux angry stuff needs to be given a bit of a pass because back in early YouTube and before that was pretty much the only thing that managed to get any kind of momentum under it at all. Just remember how utterly fucking terrible pretty much all the big meme videos were back then.

I'm sure there were a good few really talented people trying to do channels on YouTube back in the mid 00s that gave up purely because the humour was too nuanced for that time period of the internet.

Hey, Punk!

Talking about Doug made me remember this sketch, easily one of the worst attempts at comedy I've ever seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuzPf6c35YI

JamesTC

Watched it for years.

Really like the episodes that cover old game tech:
Sega CD
Sega 32X (I believe this is the episode where he shows a Mega Drive with all the add ons and compares it to life support which is so accurate)
Virtual Boy
Double Vision
NES Accessories
CD-i
Atari Jaguar
Pong Consoles
Game Boy Accessories

In terms of the main episodes, I think Plumbers Don't Wear Ties may be the best episode.

Seamen for Dreamcast was a fun one.

madhair60

Quote from: Hey, Punk! on May 12, 2019, 01:29:12 PM
Talking about Doug made me remember this sketch, easily one of the worst attempts at comedy I've ever seen.

Fuck

Bazooka

Quote from: Z on May 12, 2019, 12:49:09 PM
Haven't watched him in a few years but I liked Rolfe. I think all the faux angry stuff needs to be given a bit of a pass because back in early YouTube and before that was pretty much the only thing that managed to get any kind of momentum under it at all. Just remember how utterly fucking terrible pretty much all the big meme videos were back then.

I'm sure there were a good few really talented people trying to do channels on YouTube back in the mid 00s that gave up purely because the humour was too nuanced for that time period of the internet.

My thoughts exactly, just far too lazy to type it.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Hey, Punk! on May 12, 2019, 01:29:12 PM

On that note, fuck Doug Wanker for his whole 'Chester the Bum' shtick.  As if homeless folk don't have enough to put up with, in terms of prejudice; now they've got a wannabe tryhard "comedian" on their case.  Stereotyping at its worst.  Laughing at folks who are less fortunate than ourselves is funny, folks.  Don't you know that?  "Haha.  Look at this poor sap whose been dealt a poor hand in life".  Go fuck yourself, Dougey boy.

madhair60

Hold on, what's wrong with Kevin Smith!?

Replies From View

Quote from: madhair60 on May 13, 2019, 03:57:29 PM
Hold on, what's wrong with Kevin Smith!?

Unremarkable name?

Goldentony

One of the only one of these types i've ever been able to tolerate. AVGN's still a good laugh but the compound swearing is last as all fuck and the criticisms sometimes reach a little bit, but the James & Mike Mondays stuff is always great. Like that Bootsy guy but literally any other cunt they've ever had on is just godless. That NES guy, the arsehole who was dressed as the elf? bodybag

Replies From View

That's because there are hardly any good Americans.

Goldentony

I've just noticed in the Pepsiman video too the cunt has a bottle of Leffe to hand, what's he doing drinking Rolling Rock?

Hey, Punk!

Lindsey Ellis is probably the best critic to come out of Channel Awesome, I really liked her video on the making of The Hobbit trilogy. She has understandingly distanced herself from those nerds though.

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: St_Eddie on May 13, 2019, 02:14:04 AM
On that note, fuck Doug Wanker for his whole 'Chester the Bum' shtick.

And what the hell is that voice/accent meant to be?

Replies From View

Quote from: Avril Lavigne on May 13, 2019, 08:13:09 PM

I assume he's just trying his hardest not to be shit, but unfortunately can't even manage.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Avril Lavigne on May 13, 2019, 08:13:09 PM

It's an ignorant person's idea of what a homeless person with mental health issues would sound like.  It's someone who's never interacted with a homeless person's idea of what they must sound like.  It's essentially Doug looking down on those less fortunate than himself and mocking them but in a completely unawares way.  The guy's completely clueless.

The Lion King

Quote from: St_Eddie on May 10, 2019, 07:33:01 PM
So many of his videos end in that same way.  Every time accompanied by that fucking piano piece and Doug's 'I'm being so very, very profound' tone of voice.  It's not profound.  It's utter bollocks.

He even ended his top 11 South Park episodes with this shtick. He didn't choose the funniest episode as his number one, but the one that 'America needed most' at that time, cue piano music, Osama Bin Laden Has Farty Pants - great episode but he starts banging on some hogwash about America coming together for the first time after 9/11 to laugh again because of this episode. Thank you Trey and Matt for making us laugh again after 9/11. BollockS!

St_Eddie

Quote from: The Lion King on May 13, 2019, 09:37:00 PM
He even ended his top 11 South Park episodes with this shtick. He didn't choose the funniest episode as his number one, but the one that 'America needed most' at that time, cue piano music, Osama Bin Laden Has Farty Pants - great episode but he starts banging on some hogwash about America coming together for the first time after 9/11 to laugh again because of this episode. Thank you Trey and Matt for making us laugh again after 9/11. BollockS!

That's a great example of exactly what I'm talking about.  Thanks.

lazarou

Quote from: Hey, Punk! on May 13, 2019, 07:16:24 PM
Lindsey Ellis is probably the best critic to come out of Channel Awesome, I really liked her video on the making of The Hobbit trilogy. She has understandingly distanced herself from those nerds though.

She's still pals with a certain subset of those, which conveniently enough are about the only ones worth bothering with. Dan Olson/Foldablehuman and ToddInTheShadows being the two most notable ones. It's actually been nice to see the bearable side of CA break off and pal up with the likes of HBomb and Contrapoints, certainly an improvement if nothing else. Anyway yeah, big fan of her stuff, she clearly puts serious work and care into it and has improved massively since the early days.

This all of course triggers my odd compulsion to find out what Spoony's up to these days. One vlog from a year and a half ago, and that was the first thing he'd posted to his site in a year. Somehow still clinging on to $400 worth of patrons. Christ, it seems so weird that at one point he was easily among the most popular of the whole bunch. Bipolar and an enabling fanbase are a fucker of a combination.

St_Eddie

Quote from: lazarou on May 14, 2019, 06:47:55 AM
Somehow still clinging on to $400 worth of patrons. Christ, it seems so weird that at one point he was easily among the most popular of the whole bunch. Bipolar and an enabling fanbase are a fucker of a combination.

I remain mostly convinced that the majority of that Patreon money is from people who've long since forgotten that they ever signed up to it.  Every month the money gets taken out of their account and they either don't notice, or can't be bothered to cancel it.  Either way, as you say, it's a terrible thing as it only enables Noah to sit on his arse, not creating any new worthwhile content, only very occasionally doing one of his awful livestreams, where he'll play a game, cough occasionally and tell his fans to go fuck themselves.

The only interesting thing of note to have happened to Spoony as of late is his car crash, where he ran a red light and caused injury to the driver in the other car.

Hey, Punk!

Quote from: lazarou on May 14, 2019, 06:47:55 AM
Dan Olson/Foldablehuman

Interesting, I didn't know he was from Channel Awesome. Yeah, he's great, I'll check out Todd too.