Author Topic: The shitness of AVGN  (Read 3794 times)

Re: The shitness of AVGN
« Reply #60 on: May 14, 2019, 06:49:53 PM »
I occasionally check in on what Rolfe is up to. I have to admit I usually don't bother with AVGN, can't remember the last one I watched. His movie-related videos are usually worth watching though, as people above have already said, he clearly has a real passion and goes to a lot of trouble to look stuff up.

« Reply #61 on: May 14, 2019, 06:50:40 PM »
His worst abomination was that dragon of my dreams video though, fucking hell just thinking about it makes me want to fold up.

Replies From View

• Rubbing linseed oil into the school cormorant.
  • Golden Member
  • Gargoyles have milk bags.
« Reply #62 on: May 14, 2019, 06:55:40 PM »
His worst abomination was that dragon of my dreams video though, fucking hell just thinking about it makes me want to fold up.

Oh god, yes.  It was disgusting.  Didn't they use Coldplay or something in an attempt to tug at heartstrings?  If they'd done it as a straight and honest documentary without all that climactic camera-spinning-around-James-with-Coldplay shit it could have been quite sweet.

« Reply #63 on: May 14, 2019, 08:43:27 PM »

I found the shitness of that utterly endearing.

« Reply #64 on: May 15, 2019, 01:01:46 AM »

It's that self-mythologising that I find the most irksome, the playing make-believe that he's a successful film maker. See also the "bloopers" that nobody asked for, which is just him in a room by himself getting his lines wrong. Of no value to anyone. It's a common thing amongst Youtubers to do stuff like that, recollecting wistfully over what a journey it's been and how much they've achieved, as they know deep down they'll probably be forgotten about in 20 years.

He is a genuinely nice bloke though, if a bit dim. I like hearing him talk even when I don't think it's particularly insightful. I thought his idea for how he'd have made Halloween 6 was genuinely great - basically a New Nightmare or Scream 3 type meta narrative about the making of Halloween 6, where the production company would be Silver Shamrock and they'd be bringing the fictional Michael Myers to life somehow. It reminded me of the original script for Halloween 4, the one that ends with a 20 foot tall Michael Myers, which got ditched to do the standard shite semi-remake they ended up doing.

Mike's a cretin though, as others have said.

« Reply #65 on: May 15, 2019, 05:10:05 AM »
Mike is awful.

Replies From View

• Rubbing linseed oil into the school cormorant.
  • Golden Member
  • Gargoyles have milk bags.
« Reply #66 on: May 15, 2019, 09:01:20 AM »
Mike is awful.

Good in Austin Powers though.

« Reply #67 on: June 08, 2019, 02:23:08 AM »
Mike is awful.

Yep.

There were archives on these on the wayback machine, but it seems someone requested they no longer be indexed I WONDER WHY

« Reply #68 on: June 08, 2019, 02:41:58 AM »
Whooooooaaaaa is that real?

« Reply #69 on: June 08, 2019, 03:17:57 AM »
I found it here, for the record: https://www.reddit.com/r/AVGN/comments/6eq4c2/mike_matei_has_been_exposed_for_illustrating/

Every other link on there seems to be dead, but there's plenty of discussion about it in that thread. There's a lot of argument over the content but nothing really suggesting it isn't his work. I saw someone citing an old quote from him about it, but the original source seems to be gone (edit: a quick trip to the wayback machine and it's maybe not as gone as I thought).
MikeMatei said... eh I draw the loco bandito when I feel like it and I haven't really felt like it. besides i'm to lazy to manage a website. i tried getting it published but noone had the balls. so whatever. I'll just draw zelda and be happy.

If you're wondering about the 'shitting on minorities' one that doesn't exist in that thread anymore, it's this one: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DWFaO0uW0AAmeA-.jpg
« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 03:28:39 AM by lazarou »

« Reply #70 on: June 08, 2019, 07:07:29 AM »
"No one had the balls."

St_Eddie

• *The Patron Saint of Scallywags*
  • Silver Member
    • St_Eddie's YouTube Channel
« Reply #71 on: June 09, 2019, 03:34:56 AM »

By far the most offensive thing about that comic is its atrocious use of grammar.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 03:47:41 AM by St_Eddie »

St_Eddie

• *The Patron Saint of Scallywags*
  • Silver Member
    • St_Eddie's YouTube Channel
« Reply #72 on: June 09, 2019, 03:42:17 AM »
Quote from: Mike Matei
"Eh... I drew that racist comic as an immature little kid.  I don't feel that way but, at the time, I wanted to be an edgelord and for that I unreservedly apologise.  These days, I just love to draw pictures of Zelda fucking Link with a strap-on dildo because... well, just look at me!"

« Reply #73 on: June 10, 2019, 05:39:42 PM »
Looks like a total 100% Johnny Ryan rip-off. Eg:

« Reply #74 on: July 15, 2019, 07:28:11 AM »
I don't want to needlessly prolong the Mike hate train, but this popped up in my recommndations, so I want to prolong the Mike hate train.