Author Topic: The shitness of AVGN  (Read 2223 times)

Re: The shitness of AVGN
« Reply #60 on: May 14, 2019, 06:49:53 PM »
I occasionally check in on what Rolfe is up to. I have to admit I usually don't bother with AVGN, can't remember the last one I watched. His movie-related videos are usually worth watching though, as people above have already said, he clearly has a real passion and goes to a lot of trouble to look stuff up.

« Reply #61 on: May 14, 2019, 06:50:40 PM »
His worst abomination was that dragon of my dreams video though, fucking hell just thinking about it makes me want to fold up.

Replies From View

• Rubbing linseed oil into the school cormorant.
  • Golden Member
  • Gargoyles have milk bags.
« Reply #62 on: May 14, 2019, 06:55:40 PM »
His worst abomination was that dragon of my dreams video though, fucking hell just thinking about it makes me want to fold up.

Oh god, yes.  It was disgusting.  Didn't they use Coldplay or something in an attempt to tug at heartstrings?  If they'd done it as a straight and honest documentary without all that climactic camera-spinning-around-James-with-Coldplay shit it could have been quite sweet.

« Reply #63 on: May 14, 2019, 08:43:27 PM »

I found the shitness of that utterly endearing.

« Reply #64 on: May 15, 2019, 01:01:46 AM »

It's that self-mythologising that I find the most irksome, the playing make-believe that he's a successful film maker. See also the "bloopers" that nobody asked for, which is just him in a room by himself getting his lines wrong. Of no value to anyone. It's a common thing amongst Youtubers to do stuff like that, recollecting wistfully over what a journey it's been and how much they've achieved, as they know deep down they'll probably be forgotten about in 20 years.

He is a genuinely nice bloke though, if a bit dim. I like hearing him talk even when I don't think it's particularly insightful. I thought his idea for how he'd have made Halloween 6 was genuinely great - basically a New Nightmare or Scream 3 type meta narrative about the making of Halloween 6, where the production company would be Silver Shamrock and they'd be bringing the fictional Michael Myers to life somehow. It reminded me of the original script for Halloween 4, the one that ends with a 20 foot tall Michael Myers, which got ditched to do the standard shite semi-remake they ended up doing.

Mike's a cretin though, as others have said.

« Reply #65 on: May 15, 2019, 05:10:05 AM »
Mike is awful.

Replies From View

• Rubbing linseed oil into the school cormorant.
  • Golden Member
  • Gargoyles have milk bags.
« Reply #66 on: May 15, 2019, 09:01:20 AM »
Mike is awful.

Good in Austin Powers though.