Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:45:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The shitness of AVGN

Started by Twed, May 09, 2019, 03:59:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marquis_de_sad

I occasionally check in on what Rolfe is up to. I have to admit I usually don't bother with AVGN, can't remember the last one I watched. His movie-related videos are usually worth watching though, as people above have already said, he clearly has a real passion and goes to a lot of trouble to look stuff up.

marquis_de_sad

His worst abomination was that dragon of my dreams video though, fucking hell just thinking about it makes me want to fold up.

Replies From View

Quote from: marquis_de_sad on May 14, 2019, 06:50:40 PM
His worst abomination was that dragon of my dreams video though, fucking hell just thinking about it makes me want to fold up.

Oh god, yes.  It was disgusting.  Didn't they use Coldplay or something in an attempt to tug at heartstrings?  If they'd done it as a straight and honest documentary without all that climactic camera-spinning-around-James-with-Coldplay shit it could have been quite sweet.

madhair60

I found the shitness of that utterly endearing.

colacentral

It's that self-mythologising that I find the most irksome, the playing make-believe that he's a successful film maker. See also the "bloopers" that nobody asked for, which is just him in a room by himself getting his lines wrong. Of no value to anyone. It's a common thing amongst Youtubers to do stuff like that, recollecting wistfully over what a journey it's been and how much they've achieved, as they know deep down they'll probably be forgotten about in 20 years.

He is a genuinely nice bloke though, if a bit dim. I like hearing him talk even when I don't think it's particularly insightful. I thought his idea for how he'd have made Halloween 6 was genuinely great - basically a New Nightmare or Scream 3 type meta narrative about the making of Halloween 6, where the production company would be Silver Shamrock and they'd be bringing the fictional Michael Myers to life somehow. It reminded me of the original script for Halloween 4, the one that ends with a 20 foot tall Michael Myers, which got ditched to do the standard shite semi-remake they ended up doing.

Mike's a cretin though, as others have said.

Replies From View

lazarou

Quote from: marquis_de_sad on May 15, 2019, 05:10:05 AM
Mike is awful.

Yep.

There were archives on these on the wayback machine, but it seems someone requested they no longer be indexed I WONDER WHY

bgmnts

Whooooooaaaaa is that real?

lazarou

I found it here, for the record: https://www.reddit.com/r/AVGN/comments/6eq4c2/mike_matei_has_been_exposed_for_illustrating/

Every other link on there seems to be dead, but there's plenty of discussion about it in that thread. There's a lot of argument over the content but nothing really suggesting it isn't his work. I saw someone citing an old quote from him about it, but the original source seems to be gone (edit: a quick trip to the wayback machine and it's maybe not as gone as I thought).
QuoteMikeMatei said... eh I draw the loco bandito when I feel like it and I haven't really felt like it. besides i'm to lazy to manage a website. i tried getting it published but noone had the balls. so whatever. I'll just draw zelda and be happy.

If you're wondering about the 'shitting on minorities' one that doesn't exist in that thread anymore, it's this one: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DWFaO0uW0AAmeA-.jpg

St_Eddie

Quote from: lazarou on June 08, 2019, 02:23:08 AM

By far the most offensive thing about that comic is its atrocious use of grammar.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Mike Matei"Eh... I drew that racist comic as an immature little kid.  I don't feel that way but, at the time, I wanted to be an edgelord and for that I unreservedly apologise.  These days, I just love to draw pictures of Zelda fucking Link with a strap-on dildo because... well, just look at me!"

lazyhour

Looks like a total 100% Johnny Ryan rip-off. Eg:

SavageHedgehog

I don't want to needlessly prolong the Mike hate train, but this popped up in my recommndations, so I want to prolong the Mike hate train.

H-O-W-L

I fucking hate the stupid "Fred Fucks" gag. His name is fucking Fred Fuchs. You could fucking see that in the fucking pissant cunt video that showed the fucking credit unless you were a blind wombat.  Oh, change one letter in a random designer's last name and it's a nasty word! I can change a few letters in your name and now you're Cunt Cunt!!!

Pedantic aggression aside:

I like AVGN's episodes on the whole but I vastly prefer the "AVGN alone in his basement talking about a game he played as a kid, usually in-detail with gameplay info" and not the shit where Bugs Bunny comes in with a throbbing great dick to ejaculate shit-covered pickles all over the room while The Joker (played by a racist) decides to have a crafty wank in the corner. That shit is balls.

Twed

Yeah, I've been watching his videos with other people involved and I hate him again now.

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: H-O-W-L on August 25, 2019, 08:53:51 PM
I like AVGN's episodes on the whole but I vastly prefer the "AVGN alone in his basement talking about a game he played as a kid, usually in-detail with gameplay info" and not the shit where Bugs Bunny comes in with a throbbing great dick to ejaculate shit-covered pickles all over the room while The Joker (played by a racist) decides to have a crafty wank in the corner. That shit is balls.

Agree 100%

The Lion King

Yea the Lloyd Kaufman Toxic Avenger episode was awful too. I really enjoy AVGN but he's not really funny outside of venting his frustrations at games, even then it's hit and miss. Can't help but love the guy though. Any episode involving the guy who does the theme tune is usually pretty good actually, battletoads for example.

H-O-W-L

Quote from: The Lion King on August 26, 2019, 08:08:54 PM
Yea the Lloyd Kaufman Toxic Avenger episode was awful too. I really enjoy AVGN but he's not really funny outside of venting his frustrations at games, even then it's hit and miss. Can't help but love the guy though. Any episode involving the guy who does the theme tune is usually pretty good actually, battletoads for example.

The Battletoads and Ikari Warriors episodes are probably my favourite ones because it feels like two legitimately charismatic mates with good chemistry playing a game together. The stuff with Mike feels a lot more forced because Mike has a very hyperactive (read: arsecunt) personality whereas the real James is a lot more laid back and slower-talking than Mike, which means their personalities clash hardcore. AVGN + Couch Guy works well because they both match each other's pace and feel organic rather than seeming like a 30 year old dad forced to interact with the hyperactive, amphetamine-snorting clown at his eight year old son's birthday party.

madhair60

Also worth noting that Mike Matei has no personality, isn't funny, is actively unpleasant to look at and gives off the impression of constant disinterest in all his videos.

H-O-W-L

Quote from: madhair60 on August 27, 2019, 01:30:06 PM
Also worth noting that Mike Matei has no personality, isn't funny, is actively unpleasant to look at and gives off the impression of constant disinterest in all his videos.

And, as we now know, is a racist cunt.

madhair60

Is it fair to call him a racist cunt for making some edgelordy comics presumably ages ago? It's entirely possible he was just being an edgelord.

He is still dogshit, and I would be happy to consider him racist whether or not he actually is.

H-O-W-L

Quote from: madhair60 on August 27, 2019, 02:22:49 PM
Is it fair to call him a racist cunt for making some edgelordy comics presumably ages ago? It's entirely possible he was just being an edgelord.

He is still dogshit, and I would be happy to consider him racist whether or not he actually is.

I would say that making several comics about a Funny Hispanic Cowboy and using the N word in them liberally makes one, at the very least, racially insensitive.

The Lion King

Yea fuck Mike. Here is an amazing moment, James smashing a Mario Maker level, reminds me of beating platformers as a kid, 26 mins 10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3dv9WEYB3g&t=699s

James' face is just brilliant

madhair60

Quote from: H-O-W-L on August 27, 2019, 05:52:37 PM
I would say that making several comics about a Funny Hispanic Cowboy and using the N word in them liberally makes one, at the very least, racially insensitive.

I don't see why hispanics can't be funny but you do you

Terryfuckwit

Quote from: St_Eddie on May 13, 2019, 02:14:04 AM
On that note, fuck Doug Wanker for his whole 'Chester the Bum' shtick.  As if homeless folk don't have enough to put up with, in terms of prejudice; now they've got a wannabe tryhard "comedian" on their case.  Stereotyping at its worst.  Laughing at folks who are less fortunate than ourselves is funny, folks.  Don't you know that?  "Haha.  Look at this poor sap whose been dealt a poor hand in life".  Go fuck yourself, Dougey boy.

😂😂😂

H-O-W-L

Quote from: madhair60 on August 27, 2019, 11:20:28 PM
I don't see why hispanics can't be funny but you do you

Never did I say that, but a man who's white as the driven snow creating a character that uses a racist Western (and I mean Cowboy Western) stereotype to say the N-word a lot is probably, if not definitely, a cunt.

madhair60

Quote from: H-O-W-L on August 28, 2019, 02:19:06 AM
Never did I say that, but a man who's white as the driven snow creating a character that uses a racist Western (and I mean Cowboy Western) stereotype to say the N-word a lot is probably, if not definitely, a cunt.

I know mate I was being deliberately stupid for comic effect

I am stupid anyway, but I was exaggerating it there.

I agree that Mike Matei is a cunt, and let's all move on