Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:44:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Walking Out Of Your Job After 11 Years

Started by Delete Delete Delete, May 09, 2019, 04:06:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Thought I'd add an update to this. This morning I received a letter from Corporate Consortium a Debt Collection agency saying I owed them £210 for an overpayment on my Salary. Claiming that I over took holiday and they were recouping money for the day I was "AWOL". At the time of my walk out I contacted my area manager the next day to talk about things. One of the things I asked was did I need to work a resignation period. He said I could if I wanted to but it didn't matter either way I would be unaffected and everything would be the same whatever I decided. I decided not to go back to work as I was quite upset and had enough of Retail so didn't think it was right to represnt a company in that state.

This letter has really upset me, espcially considering the goodwill that management give to the business. With unpaid overtime and not taking breaks. This is something I had done nemourous times, because it felt like the shop would fall over if I didn't take such measures. I had worked days unpaid after other employess had called in sick, or been stuck on other shifts from opening to close when the night shift mamangement called in sick and no replacment was ever avalible. So to recive this letter confirms to me that the company never appreciated my contrbution.

In terms of looking for new work, it has been quite a depressing expereince. I have apllied for over 60 jobs and had only 5 phone calls back, which has lead to only one interview which i am doing tommrow. It turns out that a Busniess Degree and 11 years of managment experience dosn't mean anything in the job market. Its upsetting that the "respectable" job that you had been doing for 11 years is regarded as a nothing job in comparsion to simple reception work or data entry which they are paying minumum wage for.  No wonder it feels as if there is a wave of depression and other mental health issues lurking out there for my generation. The market wants to pegion hole you. you do that, so you always have to do that. 

pancreas

I'm sorry, but this is completely irresponsible. What will the customers do if things aren't managed properly? All the bottles of Riesling will be pointing the wrong way and the cans of duck confit will be nestled amongst the fennel. No-one will know the code for weighing out the foie gras and they'll end up putting it through as ardennes pâté. The brioche will be labelled as pastry crowns and the pastry crowns will be labelled as tarte d'abricots. If you wanted to fuck up everyone's retail experience then well fucking done.

Ferris

I have to hire a lot of people for my job so I read a lot of CVs - if you're comfortable, I'd be happy to read your CV and give any advice if applicable. You could remove the personal identifying stuff like name/contact info etc. Shoot me a PM if you like

I'm sure there's absolutely nothing to update on it, but it's always nice to have a second set of eyes. Hope your interview goes well and in a year this will all be a distant memory.

All the best.

Bazooka

Ive been there fella with the debt collection shenanigans, I quit a job a few years back, before I took the annual leave days that I'd booked (the holiday was two months away), yet the fucking sent credit head hunters after me. They wouldn't even have to pay me for those days, just out of spite, I wish hernias on them!

Flouncer

Quote from: Delete Delete Delete on August 12, 2019, 09:48:39 AM
Thought I'd add an update to this. This morning I received a letter from Corporate Consortium a Debt Collection agency saying I owed them £210 for an overpayment on my Salary. Claiming that I over took holiday and they were recouping money for the day I was "AWOL". At the time of my walk out I contacted my area manager the next day to talk about things. One of the things I asked was did I need to work a resignation period. He said I could if I wanted to but it didn't matter either way I would be unaffected and everything would be the same whatever I decided. I decided not to go back to work as I was quite upset and had enough of Retail so didn't think it was right to represnt a company in that state.

That's fucking outrageous Del. Why immediately pass it on to a debt collection agency instead of trying to sort it out with you first? Not sure if they're trying it on or what - I don't suppose you're in a union? I'd get some advice before I considered paying that. Cunts.

NoSleep

This letter has really upset me, espcially considering the goodwill that management give to the business. With unpaid overtime and not taking breaks. This is something I had done nemourous times, because it felt like the shop would fall over if I didn't take such measures. I had worked days unpaid after other employess had called in sick, or been stuck on other shifts from opening to close when the night shift mamangement called in sick and no replacment was ever avalible. So to recive this letter confirms to me that the company never appreciated my contrbution.

Is there somebody within the company that you could appeal to over this? You make quite a strong case for them to waive this demand.

Jasha

In terms of looking for new work, it has been quite a depressing expereince. I have apllied for over 60 jobs and had only 5 phone calls back, which has lead to only one interview which i am doing tommrow.

Not dissimilar I started looking for work in April and one of the annoying things is nobody seems to hire directly anymore it's all recruitment agencies (even for tiny firms with under 10 employees!), so you've got to get past the 'consultant' before there's even a chance of an interview or even a chat on the phone. Your ratio of applications to responses rings true but I managed to bag 5 interviews over 4 months and was offered and took the 4th one, so all I can say is keep ploughing on and you will get something eventually. As much as I don't believe in fate staying optimistic and thinking the reason I didn't get the 1st 2nd or 3rd was because the 4th was waiting for me (and it's the best of the lot) helped keep my chin up. Good luck with tomorrow

Janie Jones

Quote from: Flouncer on August 12, 2019, 10:09:22 AM
That's fucking outrageous Del. Why immediately pass it on to a debt collection agency instead of trying to sort it out with you first? Not sure if they're trying it on or what - I don't suppose you're in a union? I'd get some advice before I considered paying that. Cunts.

Yes, this 100%. I'm really sorry to hear this has happened, Delete, it's not fair. You said upthread back in May that you had a reasonable phone conversation with the area manager who seemed to have a modicum of decency, would you consider ringing him again and seeing if he's prepared to do anything helpful?

sponk

Quote from: Delete Delete Delete on May 10, 2019, 11:22:53 AM
Don't even joke about shop lifting, the nightmarish toll it takes on the staff that work there.
Can I ask what you mean by this?

Assault, Battery, knife and needle threats. Verbal abuse, etc etc

Birdie

Hey DDD, sorry to hear you've been having a rough time.  I've got no practical advice to give but I hope things work out for you.

Janie Jones

Quote from: Delete Delete Delete on August 12, 2019, 11:01:03 AM
Assault, Battery, knife and needle threats. Verbal abuse, etc etc

Also, this:
Quote from: Janie Jones on December 31, 2017, 02:58:34 PM
Yes, this is real. It pulls you down, makes you dread going into work. I've got friends in retail. Shoplifting losses aren't exactly taken out of their wages - I understand this does happen sometimes although I've only heard this anecdotally- but the losses can affect their bonus which they rely on to make their salary anything like a living wage.

One of my friends got a written warning from his employer, when CCTV showed a shoplifter removing a security tag and taking a high value item out the store while his accomplice distracted my friend who, due to staffing cuts, was covering a whole department on his own.

Kelvin

Oddly enough, I was wondering how you were getting on with this only this weekend. Sorry to hear it's continued to be so stressful.

Stick at the job hunt and I'm sure something will come up. I agree it might help to have someone else have a look at the cv, to see how you could improve and polish it.

Good luck, Delete. Keep us updated, and reach out if things really get on top of you. I'm not on Skype these days, but you can always PM me.

Being lucky I'm not cursed with any medical related Mental Health issues. Any depression or stress I have suffered has been from the reality of the Job and general circumstantial bollocks. 
Having been away from the job now for a couple of months I realize that the reltionship of the job to the company was an abusive relationship. Not in terms of arguments or being called names, but in terms of how your job becomes undermined over time. Slowly sucking out all the Charisma and Confidence you once had as the bugets get tighter, the job role shifts and constaly being bombared with unattaible targets and a delivery network that is unsuitable.

This morning I made a couple of phone calls to old workers and have found out that the Manager I had clashed with has since left the company and the shop had fallen to bits. My old area manager is currently on holiday and will have a chat to him once he is back in the country.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Ah the good old British tradition of bottling everything up until the pressure gets too much...

Sorry it ended badly for you Delete, whatever you go on to do from here try to keep it in perspective and invest in it accordingly. Martyring your mental health for a job should be reserved for jobs that truly matter, not one like this.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

This for example:

QuoteApart from leaving in 11 and half years my only absenses were half a morning sick and some shifts I used holiday for when I was in a Car Crash and didn't have a vechicle to get to work

...means absolutely jack shit. Most people are not passed over for a promotion because they were sick once or twice a year like all humans in fact are.

Half a morning sick in 11 years, I mean that's almost funny. Martyring yourself for a supermarket.

I hope at least leaving this job has helped put this in perspective.