Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 11:05:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

IT: Chapter 2

Started by Goldentony, May 09, 2019, 05:14:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rev+

Quote from: H-O-W-L on October 05, 2019, 12:12:23 PM
The movies don't really go into it but the timeline of Derry in the book is long enough to actually make It an everlurking presence

That's the big failing of both adaptations.  Derry is supposed to be the kind of town where attitudes stew and are passed down to the next generation, which is why Pennywise fucks off for about 30 years each time.  The town's problem is its residents, he's just the problem manifesting physically.  'It' is such a great title, a rare win for Steve in his coked-up heyday, because there's something going wrong in that town and nobody knows what 'it' is.

Second film was a load of episodic shite that didn't hang together, which makes it a very good adaptation of the novel I suppose.

H-O-W-L

The novel goes together alarmingly well in my opinion. Far more than you might expect, at least. Its real problem is it's very clear that King did it in stream of consciousness mode and editing, if any, has been pretty scant. Laaaarge tracts could be guttered. Huge conversational sidetracks could be scooped out. I suppose it's part of the charm of the book that ultimately it is just this rambling gambling man's fucking cocaine gurn put into a text form, but at the same time it is also a legitimate flaw.

I've been rereading it and there's been chunks I've ended up falling asleep while reading, literally so, and not because of boredom, but because I was so captivated I couldn't put it down. And then there've been big chunks (the Interludes mostly, despite them being important, are told in very boring ways) that have killed my reading progress for days.

And yeah, I agree that the town of Derry itself is so fucking integral as a rotten apple that the movie adaptations, both of them, seem utterly stupid to me on re-reading. I'd forgotten how much there really was, and honestly, it makes me aware how much of a fool's errand it was to adapt it. If it wasn't for the spooky clown I imagine every studio that had tried to option it would end up puffing cigar-smoke out of their arses and collapsing in a fit of fury at how it was basically unfilmable.

SteveDave

SteveDave

I've got about an hour left to watch of "it" but man alive "it"'s dull and cheap looking. 

Also the nervy MF who's married to his mum looks like Tony from Hollyoaks if he'd fucked Jim Carrey.

NJ Uncut

Quote from: SteveDave on October 14, 2019, 01:04:49 PM
I've got about an hour left to watch of "it" but man alive "it"'s dull and cheap looking. 

Also the nervy MF who's married to his mum looks like Tony from Hollyoaks if he'd fucked Jim Carrey.

Oh weird I only popped into this thread to say "halfway through now, seems OK, not as good as the book, but it's goofy and not scary"

Will the second half change my mind? Back in .... jeez, how long?

H-O-W-L

Where is it available? Huh?

Also NJ Uncut, it never gets better than the book, sadly. Rereading the book I've come to realize how unfair my memory's been to it and how much better than either adaptation it really is.

The effects are terrible, really unconvincing. And yet they probably cost a fortune.

When yer clown man was 'normal' (ish) and there's just a bit of subtle CGI going on to make his eyes glow or something it's vaguely creepy, as soon as his head starts morphing into a face full of teeth or his eyes suddenly appear in different positions on his face it just looked totally implausible, bordering on outright laughable.

If there had been far less shown of him and far more left to the imagination he could have been quite disturbing and unpleasant, rather than comedic and boring. There's more faults than that with the film obviously but that was the one that most jumped out at me, that they've obviously spent a fortune on CGI and effects and they're not even remotely scary or even very convincing.

Glebe

I imagine Stan's suicide will get an extended scene in the proposed director's cut... it seemed like they were about to show the blood dripping from his fingers spelling out 'IT' on the bathroom floor, but it cuts away (it's smeared on the wall in the book, of course).

SteveDave

I watched this to the end but I don't know why.

The big swinging titties of the old woman should've been a signpost to end it.

Head Gardener

kalowski

Head Gardener

haha, yeah it's better than the movie

holyzombiejesus

Watched this on Saturday night and thought it was babyish. A load of puerile nonsense.

wooders1978

Thanks for bumping the thread though as I hadn't seen that ace horror dog gif yet

kalowski

I'd forgotten all it and when I saw it my first thought was "Holy fuck that's marvellous" only to discover that's exactly what I wrote here.
Quote from: kalowski on October 19, 2019, 08:32:58 AM
Holy fuck that's marvellous.

El Unicornio, mang

I liked part 1 enough but the tone of 2 was all over the place, some really bizarre "humour" choices and also Ewan McGregor is just shit in everything that isn't directed by Danny Boyle.

Goldentony

auld Obi Wan's not in it unless it's one of Pennywise's forms

El Unicornio, mang

Oh damn I'm getting it mixed up with Doctor Sleep, which I quite liked. He was shit in it though.