Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 11:40:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

IT: Chapter 2

Started by Goldentony, May 09, 2019, 05:14:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalowski

IT, like most if King's work, is fucking rubbish. Why does every character in his world get reminded of a song from the 70s or an advertising slogan in every situation?

bgmnts

Quote from: kalowski on May 13, 2019, 06:17:56 AM
IT, like most if King's work, is fucking rubbish. Why does every character in his world get reminded of a song from the 70s or an advertising slogan in every situation?

Wrong.

madhair60

Quote from: St_Eddie on May 13, 2019, 03:32:39 AM
Gotta defend that corporation.  The corporation is good.  The company is altruistic.  The company means no harm and only has our best interests at heart.  The company tells us what to think.  All praise our corporate overlords.

Take it down a notch

Edit: I should probably clarify that I think this response to Noodle Lizard's post is a bit of an assumption and I don't believe it's entirely fair to attribute this level of corporate fellatio to the chap based on the response he gave

St_Eddie

Quote from: madhair60 on May 13, 2019, 09:30:37 AM
Take it down a notch

Edit: I should probably clarify that I think this response to Noodle Lizard's post is a bit of an assumption and I don't believe it's entirely fair to attribute this level of corporate fellatio to the chap based on the response he gave

Aye, that's true enough.  I retract my statement.

Noodle Lizard

Yeah let me be clear, I thought it was all shite, but they tried to be innovative and put the legwork in rather than just settling for a lazy social media campaign or whatever.  We got a free (shite) haunted house and free (shite) VR game thingy out of it anyway.  It paved the way for a lot more of that kind of stuff (in the big cities anyway), which creates a lot of decent-paying jobs for people in industries like haunted houses and production design etc. who otherwise find it difficult to get work year-round.  Now we've got studios with more marketing money than sense who funnel millions into these kinds of projects which would otherwise have a budget of about ten bucks.

Yeah, it was shite though, and you often ended up with 40-year-old men playing the role of Georgie.  David Mitchell even stepped in for a day:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFAxlQP6t6I

St_Eddie

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on May 13, 2019, 06:20:19 PM
Yeah, it was shite though, and you often ended up with 40-year-old men playing the role of Georgie.  David Mitchell even stepped in for a day:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFAxlQP6t6I

The cringe in that video is off the charts.  The tour guide seems beyond unenthused to be there; like his wife had presented him with divorce papers that very morning and then he'd just discovered that somebody had put sugar in his car's gas tank, moments prior to the tour starting.  Also, it was just plain embarrassing to watch the actors in clown makeup, desperately jumping up and down in an effort to scare the completely nonplussed crowd, who just stood there staring at them making a fool of themselves.

Goldentony

I figured with the first one having made enough money to restart the USSR they thought they probably didn't have to spend as much thinking people would see the motherfucker no matter what. Then again i'm trying to imagine a Hollywood studio thinking along the lines of "lets make less money, possibly"

Avril Lavigne

I'm still narked that they didn't get Amy Adams to play grown-up Bev in Chapter 2.  I've never seen a better fit for two actors playing the same character at different ages.

kalowski

Goldentony

Just wanted to add that they missed a trick by not making the drawing of the auld woman's da a picture of Stellan Skarsgard

Glebe

New trailer tomorrow, here's a poster for now:

Mister Six

Tch, they've given away the ending there.

The first film had a handful of effective moments that worked in isolation if not as a faithful adaptation (the reveal that Bowers had slit his pals' throats, Pennywise in the background on the TV of the Bowers' home, the summertime joy scenes) and made at least one change I approved of (Stan's fear being a creepy painting rather than a big bird - what was with the recurring bird imagery in the book? It seemed like it was going somewhere, and then it just... didn't). But mostly it was quite pish, coming across as a weirdly violent episode of Goosebumps rather than a proper horror film for adults, and doing stuff like killing Bowers that will surely diminish the sequel (unless Bev's husband will wholly fill that role, I dunno).

One thing I really didn't like was the treatment of Mike and Bev, which came across as alternately racist and sexist. Mike's role as the amateur historian is given to Ben (who already has the live triangle subplot) so he's basically just reduced to a near-mute token black kid. And Bev gets turned into a damsel in distress to unite the boys at the start of the third act. I suppose her treatment in the book wasn't much better (she fucks the King stand-in character as a reward for him even though he's married to a movie star, and gets handed over to Ben at the end as a reward to him for being so loyal) but at least as a kid she had a bit more agency.

St_Eddie

Coo. I can hardly wait.  Oh, wait; yes I can.

Shite for cunts, mate.  Shite for cunts.

Jump scare!

Quote from: Mister Six on July 18, 2019, 04:57:38 AM
The first film had a handful of effective moments that worked in isolation if not as a faithful adaptation (the reveal that Bowers had slit his pals' throats, Pennywise in the background on the TV of the Bowers' home, the summertime joy scenes)...

I agree with this.  Also; the opening scene with Georgie was excellent.  Shame the rest of the movie couldn't have been to that standard.  How anyone watched the following and didn't laugh is beyond me...

That's what passes for horror these days, is it?

Bazooka

I might hate watch, and really hate watch it, if it gets a Chinese release, the people of the PRC don't deserve such punishment at watching such, but I can sit in a massage chair and buy a ticket for 2 quid, and then moan.

Chapter one was awful, the worst of the worst, how do you fuck up with such source material in your hands, oh yeah easy.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Bazooka on July 18, 2019, 05:27:14 AM
Chapter one was awful, the worst of the worst, how do you fuck up with such source material in your hands, oh yeah easy.

I love you.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: St_Eddie on July 18, 2019, 05:21:45 AM
Coo. I can hardly wait.  Oh, wait; yes I can.

Shite for cunts, mate.  Shite for cunts.

Jump scare!

I agree with this.  Also; the opening scene with Georgie was excellent.  Shame the rest of the movie couldn't have been to that standard.  How anyone watched the following and didn't laugh is beyond me...

That's what passes for horror these days, is it?

That image is incredible. Pure Tim and Eric

Gregory Torso

Quote from: St_Eddie on July 18, 2019, 05:21:45 AM

I want this on my tombstone somehow, make it happen elon musk

Gregory Torso

Can't be arsed starting a shit thread about it but whats the general consensus around here about King adaptations? Despite their reputation I think they're generally pretty good - Carrie, Christine, The Shining, It (90s), Misery, Creepshow, Shawshank (I hate it but it's considered pretty good, like Green Mile), The Night Flier, It (10s), , Apt Pupil never seen

Maximum Overdrive, coked-up metal as highway to hell child-exploding fun, The Langoliers (Balky gets his fuckin legs eaten off)

Shit: Cats Eye, Lawnmower Man what the fuck, Tommyknockers, Cujo (you can't just cover a happy goofy dog in shit and dub some scary barking over the top of it). Any ones that Stephen King had some involvement in basically.

madhair60

Quite liked Cat's Eye tbqh

Mister Six

I'd never even heard of The Night Flier before this thread! Got that one jotted down.

King's a cracking novelist when he's on his game, but he can't script or direct for shit. It's a medium to which he is wholly unsuited, and I only wish he'd realise that. As for the overall good/bad ratio, I imagine it's something like 50/50, but the sheer fucking volume makes it hard to figure out.

lipsink

I thought it was really unnecessary to show the kid at the start of the last film crawling along with his arm bitten off. Should've just cut away as soon as Pennywise's teeth appeared and he chomped down. Really upsetting and kinda bad film making.

I didn't even finish watching the first one cos it seemed a bit bland overall.

Gregory Torso

Quote from: Mister Six on July 18, 2019, 11:27:33 AM
I'd never even heard of The Night Flier before this thread! Got that one jotted down.

Definitely worth a watch, Miguel Ferrer (RIP) and one of the nastiest, grossest old ( vampire ) designs I've seen in a film.

Mister Six

Cheers! I bloody love Ferrer so I'm well up for that.

Quote from: Gregory Torso on July 18, 2019, 09:13:13 AM
Can't be arsed starting a shit thread about it but whats the general consensus around here about King adaptations?

I only gorn and done it.

Quote from: lipsink on July 18, 2019, 11:48:19 AM
I thought it was really unnecessary to show the kid at the start of the last film crawling along with his arm bitten off. Should've just cut away as soon as Pennywise's teeth appeared and he chomped down. Really upsetting and kinda bad film making.

I don't see how it's bad filmmaking at all. Presumably the intention was to upset you.

I reckon nasty chomping/cracking noises as the lad screamed and bled out up to his shoulder in the drain, with nothing visible, would have worked better, myself, but whatevs.

Gregory Torso

Quote from: madhair60 on July 18, 2019, 09:53:35 AM
Quite liked Cat's Eye tbqh

Meg Mog and Owl fucking rules, btw.

Goldentony

First one's great, this new one looks great too, fucking cannot wait to see the fucking clown eat people's fucking minds. Wimps and posers and shoplifters - get out of the fucking thread and join the army. JOIN THE FUCKING ARMY YOU NO ARSE CUNTS.

Goldentony

Not once have I ever seen a film where a clown jumps out of a fucking air duct horizontally and lands on the wall, not even in fucking Terence Malick films.

madhair60

St_Eddie

Quote from: Gregory Torso on July 18, 2019, 09:13:13 AM
Shit: Cats Eye...

Must... contain... rage.

(also; added to (spam) streaming list)

Glebe