Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:00:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

IT: Chapter 2

Started by Goldentony, May 09, 2019, 05:14:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

Turning King's psychological, disturbing horror into a lowest common denominator Anabelle-esque wankfest is quite special.

Goldentony

fuck all like Annabelle you smackhead

Goldentony

I am offering you a fucking fight right now

Mister Six

It is a bit: contrived jump-scares and the tension of a Chuckle Brothers episode.

Goldentony

it's fuck all like Annabelle and I will pound your fucking head in when I see you you fucking bucket

Mister Six

Why do you love the similar shit films Anabelle and IT so much? Is it because they are identical?

Twit 2

This looks like shit from an arse.

St_Eddie

Quote from: bgmnts on July 22, 2019, 11:13:57 PM
Turning King's psychological, disturbing horror into a lowest common denominator Anabelle-esque wankfest is quite special.

I see your comment and I'll raise you a 'damn straight'.

Quote from: Twit 2 on July 24, 2019, 12:49:00 AM
This looks like shit from an arse.

Yes.  Yes, it does.  Pennywise's sewer indeed.

Goldentony

mods ban these three soft arses

Bazooka

Quote from: Goldentony on July 24, 2019, 04:01:36 PM
mods ban these three soft arses

Admin please send some malware to this lad.

BritishHobo

Seen this last night at a double-screening. Bonus points to Odeon for dressing someone up as Pennywise and having them roam the screen before the film. Minud points to the cuuuuuunts in the seats behind us who wouldn't fucking shut up talking at normal volume, despite being asked to do so multiple times, to the point that we just fucked off to the other side in the interval, and had a much better time in the second film.

It was long. And, much like the first film, felt a little disjointed at times. So, you know, in that sense it's like the book. There's a few creaky monsters, and the odd bit of tonal weirdness. But overall, I thought it made for a nice overall story. It felt like a lot thought had gone into reflecting the first film, which made up for any issues I'd had with it. Mike and Stanley were such sidelined characters in the first film, but this went a long way to making up for it. The treatment of Stanley especially was really wonderful, I thought. As an adaptation of the book it misses a lot, but on its own terms it plays very well as a whole.

BritishHobo

It felt like they were a lot more confident in the production of this - lots of strange moments, jokes and ideas that make the first film seem as if they were holding back a little.

Mister Six

BritishHobo

Goldentony

Thought this was great. So glad they took a few chances and produced some truly odd moments I think the leper vomiting a load of black shit into Eddie's face wile Angel by Juice Newton plays might be the highlight and went for some of the madder aspects of the adult side of the book and overall pulled it off really well, despite the running time. Music is great too. Anyone thinking this lines up with yer Blumhouse films - maybe the first one a it but ths? get to fuck

Goldentony

NEW KIDS ON THE BLOCK JOKE IN THE TERRIFYING SCHOOL NIGHTMARE LOCKER

Noodle Lizard

About what I expected.  Sort of fun way to spend a few hours, but far, far too long and ultimately naff.  Not remotely scary, either, and far more littered with tonally-awkward banter and memes than the first.  It felt more like an episode of Ash Vs. The Evil Dead, most of the time (the bit Goldentony mentioned as a highlight, especially).  I've sat in cinemas where I could really sense the tension and fear in the audience - even if I didn't find the film scary myself - but the scares in this one elicited more laughter than anything else.  By the time that old lady scene turned up, I was genuinely unsure whether or not they intended it to be silly.  It was also basically just a repeat of the first one - with the same characters, having forgotten everything.  I'm sure that's a problem with the book too, but I remember it being less blatant in the miniseries.

A total waste of the cast, too, James McAvoy in particular.  Bill Hader was pretty good and probably elevated the poor script more than most could have.

peanutbutter

How the fuck is this 2hr 50min? Surely it's the kind of thing that'd be a lock for just under 2 (squeezing in an extra screening or two in each day as a result)

alan nagsworth

I was thinking of going to see this, heard that one of Julius Caesar's mates was up for it as well. Called him up and said "IT 2, Brute?"

Goldentony

Quote from: peanutbutter on September 07, 2019, 12:52:41 PM
How the fuck is this 2hr 50min? Surely it's the kind of thing that'd be a lock for just under 2 (squeezing in an extra screening or two in each day as a result)

the book is the size of a house and features among other things an entry for nearly every one of Mike's interviews with locals about oldk IT sightings, an intergalactic battle of wits with IT''s true form in complete darkness and a conversaton with a turtle that vomited up the universe so there's a LOT to get in there

Goldentony

as NL said there though i'll mention the believing in yourself thing at the end and Stanley's letter - naff mate reckoned that was all for the 15 year olds ith disposable income who were filling the screen out. Liked that the suggestion of Bill being unable to write endings ala Stephen King and IT in particular

Ziggy from The Wire and Bill Hader were spot on in this. Kid who plays Eddie probably had the biggest laugh in the film where he walks into the scary looking chemist door and walks into a storage tub and lets out a loud scream

LanceUppercut

I thought this was ok, seemed to drag a lot of things over from the last film though and it wasn't creepy at all more jumpscares throughout.

Schnapple

I really liked the first one and was willing this to be great, or at least good, but I thought it was pretty terrible. Perhaps the worst sequel involving all the principal creative minds from the first. As has been observed by everyone elsewhere, it's far too episodic and the middle lumbers on and on, each CG-enhanced spooky moment undercut by one of Bill Hader's lame gags. I was prepared for the film to inevitably feel a bit more like a blockbuster, given the scope of the action and especially given the runaway success of the first film, but it had the feel of a Marvel epic by the time they're finally out of Pennywise's cosmic lair. And while I was hardly expecting Martyrs level terror, there's really no excuse for a horror film, even one as mainstream as this, to be so completely lacking in tension, suspense and just general purpose.

Also, the girl who plays Young Bev is a better and far more charismatic actor than Jessica Chastain.

Cuellar

Tonally weird, overly long, genuinely quite boring at times. CGI monsters were bad, Bill Skarsgard's voice stupid and annoying. James MacAvoy shaking a child by the shoulders and screaming into his face: funny.

Okay cheers.

Cuellar

Oh and pretty much every line Bill Hader's character utters can go into the 'film cliches you want to fuck off' thread.

Monster gets hurt, looks dead, but oh no gets up: 'OH YOU'VE GOT TO BE KIDDING' SHUT UP

bgmnts

I thought Harry Anderson played him quite well because iirc he's meant to be a hyper-active annoying as fuck wisecracker. He's an LA disc jockey even.

I assume Hader play's him a bit more sarcastic and dry?

Cuellar

Quote from: bgmnts on September 08, 2019, 02:31:05 PM
hyper-active annoying as fuck wisecracker.

That's sort of how Hader's playing it - he seems to be a stand-up of some description. But your mates are getting brutally murdered all round you by a clown-alien-spider-demon from space, knock the one-liners on the head yeah

Schnapple

Quote from: Cuellar on September 08, 2019, 02:11:15 PM
Oh and pretty much every line Bill Hader's character utters can go into the 'film cliches you want to fuck off' thread.

Monster gets hurt, looks dead, but oh no gets up: 'OH YOU'VE GOT TO BE KIDDING' SHUT UP

Worse, this is a reference to The Thing/Hader's character referencing The Thing. But really, it's just a rip-off of The Thing, disguised in basic meta-irony. Shite.

Hader's character is a stand-up, and his story opens with him throwing up with anxiety having gotten the call from Mike to return to Derry. He then goes on stage to headline a large theatre, and given his distracted state of mind, he forgets his second gag. He apologises sheepishly, and somebody in the crowd shouts, "You suck!"

Now, this is a quibbling note, but given that he's headlining his own show in a vast theatre, to his own fans, as a famous comedian, would anybody ever really shout that so fast in those circumstances? It's nothing compared to some of the poor dialogue that follows, but it really took me out of the film, indicative of the general slapdash approach.

Goldentony

QuoteJames MacAvoy shaking a child by the shoulders and screaming into his face: funny.

this was funny but me and a mate were the only two in the sold out cinema laughing

BritishHobo

Was his weirdness supposed to go somewhere? I get that he's going a bit mad remembering his brother, but I thought the kid shouting "STOP FOLLOWING ME!" in the mirror maze was gonna lead to some pay-off.