Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:30:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Nathan Barley - Episode Five

Started by TJ, March 11, 2005, 08:47:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What Do You Think Of Episode Five Then?

Great
32 (19.8%)
Good
39 (24.1%)
OK
39 (24.1%)
Poor
19 (11.7%)
"Belouis" "Some"
4 (2.5%)
Terrible
24 (14.8%)
LOL NO satires taht had 2 be made!!111
1 (0.6%)
Where were the scouts?
4 (2.5%)

Total Members Voted: 162

Voting closed: March 11, 2005, 08:47:06 AM

Frinky

This is the first episode I've ever seen, and I'm honestly appalled. S'awful. That 13 year-old-blowjob payoff was visible from about 700 miles away.

Heh, Polanksi reference. Family Guy did it funnier.

Neville Chamberlain

Is this episode good then? I've only watched the reactions in this thread.

Neil

Extreme Brent face in the pub, again.  No Jim, it's shite.

Jon_Norton

Quote from: "no_offenc"What's happening?  I've missed all of this one.

It's not as comprehensively useless as last week's one. But don't get the idea that it's as good as BrassEye or anything.

Mentadent P

Quote from: "Neil"Extreme Brent face in the pub, again.

Maybe that's just the way his face goes!

kates bush

first of all, maybe dan didn't make such an issue with the toilet scene because he's gay? I mean how do we know?

secondly, regarding the same scene, surely this is a swipe at that ex-mtv presenter cunt I can't remember the name of right now who actually did this for tv..

j00t

Quote from: "kates bush"secondly, regarding the same scene, surely this is a swipe at that ex-mtv presenter cunt I can't remember the name of right now who actually did this for tv..
Russel Brand RE:Brand UKPlay

Slackboy

Quote from: "Jim"Is this episode good then? I've only watched the reactions in this thread.

It was great again and the same standard as all the rest (of the odd-numbered ones at least; see below). Still don't thing that some of you are getting it, and probably never will. Shame.

I've also realised that trying to define why you find something funny is a really wanky thing to do. So I take back everything that I've ever said about it so far, ever. Especially the really wanky stuff.

Does anyone else think that the laugh count is more dense on the odd-numbered episodes? Maybe the writers are alternating as the main script-writers, and only one of them is still funny? I reckon the last won't follow the 'pattern' though.

Hemorrhoid Shark

Quote from: "Jon_Norton"Nathan has suddenly acquired a personality that deserves to be called a Cunt. That is a big improvement over the preceding 4 episodes, as far as making sense goes.

Yeah, I agree with that. He's finally becoming nasty.

This was quite a decent episode again. That news bit ("6 In The Evening" or whatever) was good, it reminded me of the old Morris days. It could almost count as a Day Today/On The Hour reference.

Quite a few more laughs in here than in previous episodes, but stil not even close to Morris' previous output.

Beagle 2

Bollocks really wasn't it? All a bit seedy and nasty for me too.

Blank_Frackis

It was ok as far as I'm concerned, the idea probably would have sounded good if I hadn't watched it - make Nathan get accused of paedophilia because he's a "cunt" but his friend's are such "cunts" that it ends up becoming something positive. Actually watching it wasn't so great to be honest, it was too slow developing the plot and you could see everything coming ten minutes before it happened so it didn't work on a dramatic level. "I'll kill him" was the only bit that made me laugh.

Frinky

Quote from: "Hemorrhoid Shark"Quite a few more laughs in here than in previous episodes, but stil not even close to Morris' previous output.

Honestly not trolling, but can I ask what you laughed at? I know different people find different things funny blah, I'm just curious what pressed your buttons?

Slackboy

Quote from: "kates bush"first of all, maybe dan didn't make such an issue with the toilet scene because he's gay? I mean how do we know?

secondly, regarding the same scene, surely this is a swipe at that ex-mtv presenter cunt I can't remember the name of right now who actually did this for tv..

It's a swipe at the culture isn't it, not just specific cases? I'm sure that that was a definite influence though. Probably the same thing really. I dunno.

massive_bereavement

Quote from: "Jon_Norton"
Quote from: "Neil"For fucks sake.  So Dan isn't prepared to write an article about someone being a genius, yet he is prepared to wank off a bloke?  And what's more, he asks for less money than he did for the 15peter20 article?  This programme is insultingly stupid.

I think the point is that he's been on a downward slide and has now got lower standards. At any rate, it's not completely incomprehensible.

Doesn't he say "2000 words, normal rate, cash?" for the 15Peter20 article? Yes massive_bereavement, he does. Then Clare mentions "a thousand pounds in cash" after she is covered in coffee. Being pedantic rules. I'm enjoying it more and more, and the series too!

Mentadent P

This one was laughs all the way. It's been a slow starter this series. If the the rumour of a second series is true then hopefully it will be as good as this episode throughout.

Jon_Norton

So I vote for "Ok", over all, which about covers my feelings. That wasn't so much "the best episode", as more like the first episode of a different version of the show. Nothing spectacular though, and Nathan was lapsing back into his "old" style at the end.

At any rate, we at least got a glimpse of something better than a lot of badly-edited nonsense about silly haircuts. Maybe it was just the chance to comment on the BES farrago that gave it an edge or a point this time. This was (mostly) quite different to the other dreary episodes.

Neil

Quote from: "kates bush"first of all, maybe dan didn't make such an issue with the toilet scene because he's gay?

Then he presumably wouldn't have been wearing two gloves!  In the third episode the standard rate for an article was mentioned as being "2 grand", and tonight he asked for £1500...  It makes no sense.

j00t

Quote from: "Neil"Then he presumably wouldn't have been wearing two gloves!  In the third episode the standard rate for an article was mentioned as being "2 grand", and tonight he asked for £1500...  It makes no sense.
Jonatton Yeah? made a rather unsubtle reference to his 15peter20 article, therefore his reluctance to give Dan the feature.

Cambrian Times

It does if he's desperate for money. Any money

morgs

Weirdly Dan's character has totally deteriorated over the 5 episodes while nathan who barely featured at first is really becoming an arsehole.  And yet, with each episode I have felt that it has been desperate to get to 'that point' - the end of the plot where things are tied up nicely for the week.  Each one for me has been weak - eg this week, oh it's COOL to get a blowjob from a 13 year old... well thank fuck for that.  Nathan comes out on top again...

Pythov

I expected it to be bollox so I did not watch it,  and nothing posted here encourages  me to watch the repeats.

This series appears to be wank and perhaps more people will realise that it is such.

kates bush

Quote from: "j00t"
Quote from: "kates bush"secondly, regarding the same scene, surely this is a swipe at that ex-mtv presenter cunt I can't remember the name of right now who actually did this for tv..
Russel Brand RE:Brand UKPlay

that's the one! thanks, trying to remember his name was doing my head in! :)

Yay! A 'Manic Miner' homage!

sorry, just watching it now, taped it whilst comic relief university challenge was on.

Slackboy

Quote from: "Neil"
Then he presumably wouldn't have been wearing two gloves!  In the third episode the standard rate for an article was mentioned as being "2 grand", and tonight he asked for £1500...  It makes no sense.

I agree that it doesn't make sense, I don't agree that it actually matters that much. I mean there's kids dying in Africa for Christ's sake, yeah?

twilitidol

Quote from: "Neil"For fucks sake.  So Dan isn't prepared to write an article about someone being a genius, yet he is prepared to wank off a bloke?  And what's more, he asks for less money than he did for the 15peter20 article?  This programme is insultingly stupid.

He didn't actually stipulate a fee regarding the 15Peter article, he merely offered 2000 words at the "usual rate".

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

There was another hint at a promise of a suggestion of a marginally more complex plot this week, with the key drop.  Unfortunately, again, nothing was made of it and it was saved for the end credits.

Dan doesn't want to be the preacher man - but he is.
Nathan is worried that he got a blowjob off a minor - but he didn't

Each episode of this series so far has had a strong enough story to sustain a sketch.  Would it have hurt to at least try and overlap or complicate the separate story strands?

Tonight's was better, but that's really not saying much.

the ruffian on the stair

Most of it is pathetically contrived and I was only shocked by how crap this comedy is. Very poor masturbating scene. It should have been  much better because Morris and Brooker are proving themselves to be a right pair of wankers.  I can't see how anyone could find it funny: how the fuck can you not predict what's coming?!

Identity Crisis Ahoy!

Johnatton Yeah?

Give him his own show!

Neil

Quote from: "Slackboy"I agree that it doesn't make sense, I don't agree that it actually matters that much. I mean there's kids dying in Africa for Christ's sake, yeah?

<speechless>

Quote from: "twilitidol"He didn't actually stipulate a fee regarding the 15Peter article, he merely offered 2000 words at the "usual rate".

Oh, I'll take your word for it, but I do recall him telling Claire that he'd have her money which certainly suggests that the "usual rate" is 2 grand, especially as that was the money that JY? was going to offer him for the article in tonights episode.

thatmuch

Very nasty and much much better. Some of it was on the level of the best of Brass Eye. Unfortunately several shots were too long, to the point of laboured.
In case you missed some of the more sickening references, you could look at
these websites, featuring the, uh, artist Trevor Brown, who does the covers for Venetian Snares CDs.
http://www.babyart.org/
http://www.mkgallery.com/artists/brown/brown.html