Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:46:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Borderlands 3

Started by Sin Agog, May 09, 2019, 06:19:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sin Agog

It's coming out in September.  Gearbox's CEO recently got in hot water for beating up the dude who voices Claptrap (perhaps understandable if he was going around everywhere talking like that to get in character).  Main criticisms people have from the trailer is the graphics don't look like they've had a huge overhaul since Borderlands 2.  I guess that's the thing with cel-shaded style graphics- they can stop games like Okami and Wind Waker from aging, but that means newer attempts are kind of stuck in limbo.  Looks fun.

https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/borderlands-3-everything-we-know/

Bazooka

I don't condone violence against fellow staff, but Claptrap is atrocious, the voice and having to wait for him to open doors for 10 minutes.

Ferris

One of the versions of this is $250?! Did I read that right? Crikey.

I liked the first few games, got them for nowt 2nd hand though.

Add me to the Anti-Claptrap club.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Check me out, I'm dancing! I'm dancing!

easytarget

bumplestiltskin

Looks like it's finally out - any thoughts on this? I really liked the first couple and haven't played anything for ages. Will this get me back into gaming?

bgmnts

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on May 10, 2019, 04:07:51 AM
One of the versions of this is $250?! Did I read that right? Crikey.

The complete game, yes.

Suck it up folks.

Ferris

Quote from: bgmnts on September 14, 2019, 08:56:46 PM
The complete game, yes.

Suck it up folks.

Nah I'll just buy it second hand for nowt in about 6 months time like everyone else with any common sense.

bgmnts

Yeah but youll need the season pass or something.

Junglist

I've played it for 12 hours over two days. The second is my favourite game of all time and this is just more of it. Improved movement and gunplay, drops are more lenient and its on its way to being my favourite game ever. I've no fault with it, incredible fun if you're a fan of the series.

If you're not you'll be mehing all over the place.

Timothy

Quote from: Junglist on September 14, 2019, 10:57:38 PM
I've played it for 12 hours over two days. The second is my favourite game of all time and this is just more of it. Improved movement and gunplay, drops are more lenient and its on its way to being my favourite game ever. I've no fault with it, incredible fun if you're a fan of the series.

If you're not you'll be mehing all over the place.

Same sentiment. I love Borderlands and this is more and better Borderlands. Great game.

QuoteYeah but youll need the season pass or something.

Not necessary to play main game.

bgmnts

Right but the main game isn't the complete game is it because half of it is locked behind a paywall. Not good.

Timothy

The main game is the complete game. You can complete the dtory without buying DLC.

Season pass just adds a few more missions like most season passes do. And it adds a lot of cosmetics.

Normal version is def worth buying if you are a Borderlands fan imo. Buying the season pass is not necessary as far as I know.

madhair60

Jim Sterlings says "ass'oles" instead of "arseholes" so he's a fucking fake cunt. It's also hilarious he goes after Randy Pitchford for being whiny when his entire career is whining about FOV sliders (and indeed, almost this entire video is whining about Twitter posts)

anyway, super boring

Junglist

I've gone Brawl Amara too. I'm currently doing +240% melee damage, regen health at an insane speed and can two punch non-shielded enemies. Level 23 after hammering it this weekend and have an all legendary loadout bar one weapon.

Game.is genuinely immense, of course if you're not a fan of Borderlands you probably wont get on with it but there are so.many QOL improvements, movement and gunplay is vastly improved.

All.the reviews slating the humour, well, its just typical Blands humour. Puerile, stupid, idiotic throughout. I've enjoyed the writing and voice acting pretty much all the way through.

The protagonists aren't on a Handsome Jack level, he was an incredible character, but they're interesting enough.

Moving it away from Pandora was much needed as there's such a variety of locales and enemies now.

Sure Randy is a cunt and Gearbox isnt the best game dev, but fuck me they've made the game that is perfect for my tastes.

I know many of you wont play it, for various reasons, but this game is gonna consume me.

Borderlands 2 holds a very dear place in my heart for reasons I've never divulged on here (or anywhere publicly) and it's more than just a loot shooter brainless piece of entertainment for me. To finally get the sequel and for it to eclipse that and make me smile the entire weekend, well fuck damn I'm a happy lad.

Mister Six

Ah, grand, I've always liked the Borderlandses, although I never played the one on the moon. My only complaint with 2 was that it went on too damn long, to the point that it felt like it was randomly generating story as well. I found myself wearying of it, and that was when I actually had the time to play stuff all night. Now I've got a wife and dog and am trying to write a book on the side, I'm worried that I'll find 3 a bit overwhelming. Then again, I also plan to pick up RDR2 second-hand and buy Cyberpunk on release so I suppose I just bring it upon myself.

Quote from: Junglist on September 15, 2019, 11:28:47 PM
I've gone Brawl Amara too. I'm currently doing +240% melee damage, regen health at an insane speed and can two punch non-shielded enemies. Level 23 after hammering it this weekend and have an all legendary loadout bar one weapon.

Game.is genuinely immense, of course if you're not a fan of Borderlands you probably wont get on with it but there are so.many QOL improvements, movement and gunplay is vastly improved.

All.the reviews slating the humour, well, its just typical Blands humour. Puerile, stupid, idiotic throughout. I've enjoyed the writing and voice acting pretty much all the way through.

The protagonists aren't on a Handsome Jack level, he was an incredible character, but they're interesting enough.

Moving it away from Pandora was much needed as there's such a variety of locales and enemies now.

Sure Randy is a cunt and Gearbox isnt the best game dev, but fuck me they've made the game that is perfect for my tastes.

I know many of you wont play it, for various reasons, but this game is gonna consume me.

Borderlands 2 holds a very dear place in my heart for reasons I've never divulged on here (or anywhere publicly) and it's more than just a loot shooter brainless piece of entertainment for me. To finally get the sequel and for it to eclipse that and make me smile the entire weekend, well fuck damn I'm a happy lad.

I gotta say man, I'm not going to play this because I don't really like FPS and didn't click with the previous games but it's great to read posts like this on here.

Junglist

Quote from: Mister Six on September 16, 2019, 03:11:12 PM
Ah, grand, I've always liked the Borderlandses, although I never played the one on the moon. My only complaint with 2 was that it went on too damn long, to the point that it felt like it was randomly generating story as well. I found myself wearying of it, and that was when I actually had the time to play stuff all night. Now I've got a wife and dog and am trying to write a book on the side, I'm worried that I'll find 3 a bit overwhelming. Then again, I also plan to pick up RDR2 second-hand and buy Cyberpunk on release so I suppose I just bring it upon myself.

I'd say a regular playthrough, doing sidequests etc, you're probably looking at 20-30 hours. End game content is optional and can just be done whenever you like. If you've only got short bursts of time and don't really wanna commit to a game like this then just buy Dead Cells ;)

Quote from: The Boston Crab on September 16, 2019, 06:11:07 PM
I gotta say man, I'm not going to play this because I don't really like FPS and didn't click with the previous games but it's great to read posts like this on here.

Cheers!

H-O-W-L

Liked BL2 but by all accounts this is a shittier BL2 with even more grubby business practices involved in its creation and even more dated meme shit (fucking PICKLE RICK appears on the title screen!)

Junglist

Its a far, far better BL2.

easytarget

Started this last night on the Xbox. So far - it's more Borderlands, which is pretty much what I wanted.
I'm not seeing any tech glitches  (except it took about 2hours to download) but I'm not playing multiplayer and I'm not on a PC.

I like it.

Benjaminos

It's Borderlands 2 with worse writing, pretty much. The gunplay is marginally better, there are lots of weapons (99% of which you'll ignore because they're shitty green-tier filler), and they've added Ubisoft-style optional objectives to the maps. Everything else is exactly the same.

The 'humour' is dreadful, though. Every. single. joke. follows this format:

"Here's a joke about farts!"
<brief pause>
"Here's a topper where I explain the joke in an awkward manner"

I couldn't care less about the villains - I remember Handsome Jack as being a great bad guy (although I might not think that if I replayed BL2 again now, five years on). I don't even really know what these ones are supposed to be, other than a lazy parody of Youtubers? They killed some people who I think I was supposed to care about, and they send me irritating voice messages every hour or so. Not that evil.

The supporting cast are mostly hateful tryhard lolrandom arseholes. Lorelai needs to get in the fucking bin. That whole quest about how she's addicted to coffee made me want to rip my own skin off. I even had to turn off my own character's interstitial dialogue so that I could play without cringing every ten seconds - and they really need to add an option to disable that fucking minute-long shrieking your character does when they get set on fire/poisoned/etc.

Still playing it though. I'll be glad to see the back of it when the new Destiny expansion comes out, I reckon.

madhair60

Quote from: Benjaminos on September 19, 2019, 10:55:32 AM
It's Borderlands 2 with worse writing, pretty much.

How the fuck...?

Famous Mortimer

I wish it were a little bit cheaper? I'm probably going to wait til the GOTY edition. Unless I see a nice code somewhere in the meantime.

Ferris

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on September 21, 2019, 05:18:40 PM
I wish it were a little bit cheaper? I'm probably going to wait til the GOTY edition. Unless I see a nice code somewhere in the meantime.

Yeah I'm not paying $80 for it either. Games are mad expensive, back in my day... etc etc

I'll get it 2nd hand in a few months

H-O-W-L

Quote from: Benjaminos on September 19, 2019, 10:55:32 AM
It's Borderlands 2 with worse writing, pretty much.

Holy fuck that sounds like spine rot.

easytarget

Still really enjoying this nonsense. And there's some kind of Halloween theme update applied at the moment, enemies turn to ghosts when you kill them, then you kill the ghosts.

Famous Mortimer

Please people stop buying it so the price goes down and I can buy it. Thanks.

Famous Mortimer

I did see a nice code, plus someone at my work gave me an Amazon voucher, so I bought it.

The thing I've noticed in the first 6 hours or so of gameplay is that it feels a little buggy. Like, I come to a halt in front of a person and for some reason, my character just starts drifting very slowly to the right. Actually, given no-one else seems to have noticed this, perhaps the fault's with my controller. Anyway, it's a bit annoying. Then, the "press X to use" caption doesn't always appear when you're right next to the thing you need to use, or pick up, or whatever, leading you to move backwards, forwards, and all over trying to trigger it.

Also, when you're trying to do fast-travel, it doesn't seem to be able to cycle to the next location, or automatically direct you to the nearest one to the quest you're on, or something. If the fast travel icon is next to a bunch of other things, and you're zoomed out, I think it would be difficult to even see it.

I might just be using the wrong buttons to do all this, or it might be my controller that's causing the weird drift thing. But it's not as smooth and effortlessly fun as I remember part 2 being.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I was unexpectedly given this for Christmas and finally got around to giving it a try last night. I've never played the first two, so I didn't know what to expect, other than some form of violence and cartoon wackiness. Firing it up for the first time, my heart sank as I was confronted by some options that seemed to be about online multiplayer - I have no interest in that sort of thing - but none of that has come up in the actual game.

Some gripes/questions: Why can I carry a load of guns in my inventory, but only have access to two of them at a time? What's the point in there even being so many guns, when most of them have only tiny differences? Why does the intro show the characters using loads of fun powers, only for them to be locked away in yet more bloody skill trees once you start playing?

That aside, it's been pretty good fun, although the wackiness does border on obnoxious and I don't remotely care about the story. The early going was a bit of a grind, but I wasn't tempted to rage quit, like I did with Dying Light. Once I levelled up a bit and finally unlocked some halfway decent guns it got much better. By gum, it seems a big fat rip off of Fallout though - they even keep talking about vaults.