Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:08:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Borderlands 3

Started by Sin Agog, May 09, 2019, 06:19:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bazooka

I've not played much of it, having played with the others a lot, this is just another slog through the same old thing, I find Borderlands lore and characters incredibly boring.  Once I clear through my backlog of 590 uncompleted games, I may return to it.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on January 29, 2020, 02:17:56 PM
By gum, it seems a big fat rip off of Fallout though - they even keep talking about vaults.
The vault concept is very different, though. Most vaults in B3 are basically one room.

Re: my above post, I figured out the fast travel thing, but the other problems are still there. There's also weird huge difficulty leaps on some of the bosses which require you (well, me) to go back and grind for another level and maybe a slightly better weapon. It's a fun game to play and it controls smoothly, but grinding is still a bit of a ballache.

QuoteWhy can I carry a load of guns in my inventory, but only have access to two of them at a time?
Later on, you'll be able to access four at a time. You can pause and switch your active weapons pretty quickly, I suppose?

QuoteWhat's the point in there even being so many guns, when most of them have only tiny differences?
Illusion of choice, I suppose? Past the first few levels, there's zero chance you'll use a common weapon, so it does seem sort of pointless to keep dropping so many of them.

QuoteWhy does the intro show the characters using loads of fun powers, only for them to be locked away in yet more bloody skill trees once you start playing?
Actually, that is a good point.

H-O-W-L

RE: the plot being a ripoff of Fallout -- it really isn't. Borderlands is not set in a post-apocalyptic world, it's actually set in a post-scarcity future, but on frontier planets that have yet to be fully civilized. The original intention for the series was for it to be a mixture of Western themes, hence the very cowboy tone of a lot of the music and some weaponry. But ultimately that got diluted in favour of the wacky spaceman comedy aspects that have earned the series a well-deserved level of disdain. BL2 had some really fantastic Western moments, and BL1's trailer makes it clear that it was originally going to be more of a quasi-serious revisionist space western, but ultimately that's been washed away into nothingness.

Fallout, by contrast, didn't become Western until New Vegas, and the Vault stuff in Borderlands is way more in the term of like "bank vault" or "hidden Mayan hoard" or what-have-you. A literal vault for goods, as opposed to a post-apocalyptic bunker like Fallout.

Mobius

The "humour" in these games is abysmal, and really grating. It's like it was written by reddit users

bgmnts

Quote from: Mobius on January 30, 2020, 02:48:22 AM
The "humour" in these games is abysmal, and really grating. It's like it was written by reddit users

What's really frustrating is that Gearbox created the Brothers in Arms series; a story driven World War 2 shooter with addictive cover and suppression mechanics. Yet they persist with this cel shaded whacky shite.

H-O-W-L

As I say every hint from the pre-release material implies the series was meant to be dark but outlandish, and then the released product is this weird wackozade-from-a-clownshoe nightmare.

Bazooka

Quote from: Mobius on January 30, 2020, 02:48:22 AM

You mean Claptrap isn't in your top comedians list?

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: H-O-W-L on January 30, 2020, 02:19:41 AM
RE: the plot being a ripoff of Fallout -- it really isn't...
Fair enough. That was just my first impression and it was influenced by the look and feel of the game, rather than the plot. Cel shading aside, Pandora reeeeally looks like Fallout. New Vegas may have leant hardest into the western iconography, but it was always a part of the series, just look at the game over screens:

Of course, Fallout didn't invent sci-fi westerns, so I suppose accusations of rip offery are unfair anyway. Plus, I've just got to the second planet which looks totally different.

The guns are still a bit of an issue. I found a rare machine gun ages ago, which is so much better than every other weapon that there's no reason to use anything else, other than for variety. For some reason, it randomly causes baddies to freeze or catch fire and I have no idea why. I'm also still confused by the skill trees: too many options with seemingly little utility, when I can get through pretty much every fight with just the aforementioned machine gun.