Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:26:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Australian Federal Election 2019

Started by zomgmouse, May 10, 2019, 03:29:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zomgmouse

Mobius

When is it? My mum usually reminds me but she's out of the country. Don't want to cop a fine!

Going to vote for Bill Shorten as he's yet to be egged

Urinal Cake

Barnaby (dog-napper) will win his seat. Dutton (nativist) will win his seat. Abbott (onion-eater) will lose his seat. Morrison will win government. I do not underestimate the public antipathy for Shorten and Labor. Palmer (our Trump) has tipped it in the Coalition's favour. 

zomgmouse

Quote from: Mobius on May 10, 2019, 03:37:52 AM
When is it? My mum usually reminds me but she's out of the country. Don't want to cop a fine!

Going to vote for Bill Shorten as he's yet to be egged

Saturday 18th of May. Aka a week a way or so.

It really feels like nothing is going on in terms of media or preparation or anything. Maybe I'm just in a bubble.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

You've been churning through PMs lately.

Decadent and complacent. The Fall of Roma (QLD)

Alberon

Which party is Skippy standing for?

Urinal Cake

https://7news.com.au/politics/anning-removes-anti-muslim-facebook-post-that-attacked-family-of-missing-child-c-109055
QuoteUnder the banner 'If you want a Muslim for a neighbour just vote Labor', Anning posted a picture of the el-Dennaoui family, who came to national attention in 2005 when their 19 month-old daughter Rahma went missing from the family home in south-west Sydney.

Rahma has never been found 

Old slogans are new again.

Mobius

My neighbours are white and absolute cunts so I'll be voting Labour.

Ronalado

RONALADO see this on yuTUBE. Vote for Jon HOPOATE means vote for finger and thum in THE ASS.

for sure is a tuogh contry

Urinal Cake

Bob Hawke dies. Abbott makes it overtly political. Amazing to think they were both Rhodes Scholars.

Anyway seems fate wants a Labor win.

zomgmouse

There's too many minor conservative/racist/etc parties and it makes it infuriating. It also means "put the libs last" now does not make sense as a voting strategy because there's so many other shitheels worse than the libs.

samadriel

Yeah, with One Nation, Anning's neo-Nazis and Clive Palmer's pretend party running, the Coalition has never placed higher on my ballot.  Still desperate for them to fucking die, of course.  I moved to western Brisbane this year, and hoped my new place might be in Dickson, so I could vote against Dutton, but no, I'm in Ryan, a safe Coalition seat.  Oh well.

Urinal Cake

I think there's a good possibility of a minority Coalition government. Not only due to Palmer etc but conservative independents winning in former National seats.

If it's really about broad climate action they'll side with Labor. But then they'd have to also listen to the Greens. If it's about pork barrelling they'll side with the Coalition. Plus Morrison seems more amenable than Abbott. So yeah minority Coalition Government.

samadriel

ZoyzaSorris

Why is your politics so utterly fucked down there? I mean it's a shit storm of cunts up here but at least the Tories are disintegrating and we have Corbs.

samadriel

I don't know what it's like in the UK, but in Australia, everyone, no matter how rich, is convinced they're doing it tough, that they're the so-called "battlers" on fucking "Struggle Street" scraping together the bare minimum required to survive.  If a party suggests closing a tax loophole which rich retirees use to garner tax refunds despite paying $0 tax, simple -- say that they're proposing a new tax.  Bang, you win.  Even the 10% or so of Coalition advertisements I saw that weren't about this supposed tax framed Bill Shorten as "the Bill Australia can't afford".

edit:  Anxiety over money on both a personal and national level, basically.  Compared to that, the racism is nothing.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Another great victory for the human race

Moribunderast

Saw this result coming a mile away. The Opposition Leader, Bill Shorten, is a chump and is seen as a chump by most Australians. With an actual strong, competent opposition leader the Liberal Party would have been destroyed in this election. The apathy surrounding this election was very noticeable - I've never seen a national election in Australia with so little enthusiasm or care from anyone I spoke to. Nobody seems particularly happy with the current government - even their supporters - but Shorten was just the most uninspiring person to run against them.

Fucking depressing.

Urinal Cake

Quote from: Moribunderast on May 18, 2019, 12:57:29 PM
Saw this result coming a mile away.
That's easy to say but I've got proof and a probable Sportsbet (stupid motherfuckers) win:

Quote from: Urinal Cake on May 10, 2019, 03:52:12 AM
Barnaby (dog-napper) will win his seat. Dutton (nativist) will win his seat. Abbott (onion-eater) will lose his seat. Morrison will win government. I do not underestimate the public antipathy for Shorten and Labor. Palmer (our Trump) has tipped it in the Coalition's favour.
Barnaby was always going to win. But Dutton and Abbott looked shaky. Polls are fucked like the rest of the world.

Put money on Tanya Pilbersek to become Opposition Leader so let's see if that's the next win.

Surprised at the One Nation vote. Not because of the racism because really who gives a fuck about that. But Pauline Hanson is such a shit leader/person.

ZoyzaSorris

So basically sort of stuck somewhere between the worst of Middle England and Trump's America on the scale of political grave. Poor fuckers. Just what the planet needs now.

Sounds like Labor are part of the problem rather than the solution though.

samadriel

Labor could have turned Australia around climate policy-wise back in 2007 when they had the mandate to do it, but their leader chickened out, and their incompetent electioneering ever since has rendered them useless. If they'd chucked Shorten long ago (he's lost the preferred PM poll since time immemorial) and went with, say, Albanese or Plibersek, maybe they could have successfully sold their policies -- and they were genuinely trying to sell policies this election, that's the tragedy of this loss. The Coalition had nothing but empty slogans and attack ads full of lies, and they still won.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

I suppose you're right, I guess with the liberal leadership changing as much as it did, keeping Shorten around for so long protected Labour from accusations of being just as bad. Huge shame they couldn't turn this into the defeat it absolutely should have been. God knows they had a pretty open goal.

fuck's sake, went through Morrisson's term so far thinking "ah well, it's not like he's going to get comfy with the election on the way." it (arrogantly) seemed like such a dead cert he'd be out, I'm just dumbfounded that people would willingly vote that party back in again.

samadriel

It just breaks my heart that we couldn't even get rid of Dutton, that disgusting sack of shit sitting on such a thin margin, who shamed this country so many times during his ministry... Still there, stinking up the joint, that stunted babbler Morrison by his side. Considering how obviously and deeply Queensland is fucked, I'm surprised I don't run into more Tories and bigots in my day to day life in Brisbane. I suppose I do spend a lot of my time in a leftie stronghold.

Fambo Number Mive

I don't know much about Australian politics but would like to know more - are the Liberals similar to the Conservatives in the UK, and Labor like the UK Labour party but how it was under Miliband? And the National Party appear to be a political party that thinks rural life is the best, is that correct?

samadriel

I'm not familiar with Miliband, but that sounds about right (a kind of Blair-y, Clinton-y centrism? Edit: I think the Australian Labor party is slightly better than that, but under Shorten they kind of half-arsed the nice redistributive stuff and didn't sell it well enough. Although given that every bloody idiot votes according to the idea that they're going to be a multi-millionaire one day, it's hard to sell even the mildest social democratic reforms). The National Party have sold out the farmers to mining and other climate-destroying industries, but there are a whole bunch of suckers out there in the country.

Urinal Cake

My guess is that voters in Queensland and Western Australia were scared that mining and other 'dirty' jobs were going to become extinct. Not due to trade like the US but due to Labor-Greens environment policy.
National Party voters are pretty much welded on in the absence of alternatives. They may have 'concerns' about climate change but really all that boils down to is their allocation of water and getting subsidies for climate changes.
I think voters were also scared of what Labor would do next in terms of progressive tax policy as well. Now they come for franking credits but then they could come for ~ insert generous tax scheme here~.
While it's easy to blame Shorten the truth is that his team is full of the people in high school who gave you the impression that they were 'going places' and that they were better than you and your friends (because in most cases they were). I've come to the conclusion that people like their own foibles reflected back to them.
Morrison's team lacks any real imagination or intelligence to deal with the coming economic, environmental and international shitstorms with Bishop, Pyne etc out. They're going to royally fuck things up. But they will blame the cross bench and Senate. And people will accept that.

zomgmouse

Paul Calf

I know someone in Aus who works in mining and I hope the whole sector is shut down just to piss off the violent, drunken, wife-beating cunt.

Urinal Cake