Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:40:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Bad, bad stuff you once liked.

Started by kalowski, May 10, 2019, 08:19:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalowski

I am embarrassed to say I bought Permanent Vacation which contained the classic Dude Looks Like a Lady.
https://youtu.be/nf0oXY4nDxE
Look at how stupid they all appear!

Keebleman

Very stupid, but the song is such fun I can forgive them.

Lots of good tunes on that album, far more so than on the follow up 'Pump', which is supposedly superior.

a duncandisorderly

BlodwynPig

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on May 10, 2019, 09:14:06 PM
I have the t'pau album.

I have all four and a DVD.

Remember at school when a couple of the posher kids had nabbed tickets to see Carol et al live. The next day they played cock tease all fucking day with the rest of us ("she was wearing leather thigh boots").

a duncandisorderly

Clownbaby

I thought Muse were bumpin when I was 12, and I kind of fancied Matt Bellamy. No idea what I was thinking. I never completely  go off something but I did with Muse and Matt Bellamy. Matt Belllamy, eh. What was I like? He's about 3mm tall

BlodwynPig

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on May 10, 2019, 09:20:00 PM
I don't feel so bad now. ta.

I just remembered I saw them play about 5 years ago in your neck of the woods (Darlington Civic Theatre). They are not bad. Pretty quality MOR.

chveik

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on May 10, 2019, 09:14:06 PM
I have the t'pau album.

I've got the one with china in your hand on it, but in my defence I was quite drunk when I went 2nd hand record shopping. I think I got Hi Infidelity in the same haul.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 10, 2019, 09:23:48 PM
I've got the one with china in your hand on it, but in my defence I was quite drunk when I went 2nd hand record shopping. I think I got Hi Infidelity in the same haul.

that's the one. bought it new in liverpool, little knowing that decker lived just up the road at the time. main reason was that she reminded me of an ex. at the time, there was a lot of this over-produced & over-wrought stuff being played in our house because the then mrs was a lump older than me & had no taste in music whatsofuckingever. I would skulk off to see the mary chain, the beastie boys, jan garbarek or michael nyman on my own or get a mate over from sheffield. I hated the 80s.

BlodwynPig

The Promise was much better and the later Red was excellent. Sounds like Neo Prog Pendragon in places.

Forgot that they released Pleasure & Pain in 2015 too. Wish I had gone to the signing after the gig in Darlington but had to catch the last train to Newcastle.

hedgehog90

There was a month or so in 2005 during my mid-teens when I listened to Radio 1 pretty regularly, and convinced myself that I somewhat enjoyed bands like Keane, Athlete and Razorlight.
Not enough to consider myself a fan, but enough to nod along and at the end of a song think 'I quite liked that'.
Dark days.

I never liked Hard-Fi though.
They're one of those bands that represent a sort of event-horizon of musical taste. If you ever crossed the threshold by enjoying any aspect of their music, there's no coming back from that. You're finished.

buzby

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on May 10, 2019, 09:34:01 PM
that's the one. bought it new in liverpool, little knowing that decker lived just up the road at the time.
Decker only lived in Huyton until she was seven, at which point her family moved to Wellington in Shropshire as her father had got a job there. At the time Heart And Soul became a hit and T'Pau took off Decker and Rogers were living in the flat above the boathouse of Pengwern Boating Club on the other side of the River Severn from The Quarry Park in Shrewsbury (I went to have a look around there one lunchtime while I was doing work at Shropshire Fire HQ).
https://goo.gl/maps/z4LBMeu2qdSAho5g8

MidnightShambler

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on May 10, 2019, 09:34:01 PM
that's the one. bought it new in liverpool, little knowing that decker lived just up the road at the time. main reason was that she reminded me of an ex. at the time, there was a lot of this over-produced & over-wrought stuff being played in our house because the then mrs was a lump older than me & had no taste in music whatsofuckingever. I would skulk off to see the mary chain, the beastie boys, jan garbarek or michael nyman on my own or get a mate over from sheffield. I hated the 80s.

Were you at the Beastie Boys gig at the Royal Court?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: buzby on May 10, 2019, 11:21:57 PM
Decker only lived in Huyton until she was seven, at which point her family moved to Wellington in Shropshire as her father had got a job there. At the time Heart And Soul became a hit and T'Pau took off Decker and Rogers were living in the flat above the boathouse of Pengwern Boating Club on the other side of the River Severn from The Quarry Park in Shrewsbury (I went to have a look around there one lunchtime while I was doing work at Shropshire Fire HQ).

You've got the DVD too!

kalowski

Quote from: Clownbaby on May 10, 2019, 09:21:36 PM
I thought Muse were bumpin when I was 12, and I kind of fancied Matt Bellamy. No idea what I was thinking. I never completely  go off something but I did with Muse and Matt Bellamy. Matt Belllamy, eh. What was I like? He's about 3mm tall
Oof. I often think, "Imagine liking Muse!"

Used to be a nightly listener to the radio program Loveline, which seems quite shocking in retrospect.

I was reminded of this because I was about to say that "Starlight" by Muse makes me nostalgic for the show because it was heavily used as the end-of-night bumper music, but that's clearly wrong because it came out the year after Adam Carolla left the show. I'm thinking of "Clocks" by Coldplay instead, in case you were interested.

a duncandisorderly

ah, then I was misinformed- cheers.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: MidnightShambler on May 10, 2019, 11:48:48 PM
Were you at the Beastie Boys gig at the Royal Court?

yeah, but I don't remember much about it- I was at the back & shit-faced.

MidnightShambler

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on May 11, 2019, 12:16:10 AM
yeah, but I don't remember much about it- I was at the back & shit-faced.

Fucking hell you must have been if you don't remember the 12 minute gig, then the tear gas, the riot and the mass evacuation!

My mate was there and he reckons it was a publicity stunt that got dangerously out of hand, all the emergency exits were already open etc and the tear gas was released by the bands crew. I've heard the same from some other people who went, I'm surprised it seems to have been almost forgotten now.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: MidnightShambler on May 11, 2019, 12:22:52 AM
Fucking hell you must have been if you don't remember the 12 minute gig, then the tear gas, the riot and the mass evacuation!

My mate was there and he reckons it was a publicity stunt that got dangerously out of hand, all the emergency exits were already open etc and the tear gas was released by the bands crew. I've heard the same from some other people who went, I'm surprised it seems to have been almost forgotten now.

"stunt" suggests it was pre-arranged; it was more chaotic than that. I remember being in there for about half an hour & noise throughout, including bits of the album that I recognised... more than twelve minutes anyway. there was a lot of smoke but I didn't feel the effects of tear-gas. I was in a burger king near kings cross & got tear-gassed in there, so I know you only have to be in the same room as that stuff... we cleared off before being told to. I was disappointed, but I suppose I shouldn't have expected emerson lake & palmer, exactly.

holyzombiejesus

The The. I just downloaded the first two albums as I really liked them when I was younger and whilst Soul Mining has 1 or 2 good songs, Infected is mostly awful. Dated to the point of being unlistenable.

Rizla

The Wonder Stuff, the album with size of a cow on.

Twed

Living in Essex in the late 90s. My brother-in-law did her landscape gardening, unless he's a lying bastard (possible; he did seem to think her name was T'pau).

I hope somebody is taking the minutes for this meeting of The Carol Decker Stalker Society.

Twed

One of the first singles I bought was Simply Red - Fairground. I also went out to buy U2 - The Sweetest Thing on purpose.

Ferris

Quote from: hedgehog90 on May 10, 2019, 10:35:52 PM
There was a month or so in 2005 during my mid-teens when I listened to Radio 1 pretty regularly, and convinced myself that I somewhat enjoyed bands like Keane, Athlete and Razorlight.
Not enough to consider myself a fan, but enough to nod along and at the end of a song think 'I quite liked that'.
Dark days.

I never liked Hard-Fi though.
They're one of those bands that represent a sort of event-horizon of musical taste. If you ever crossed the threshold by enjoying any aspect of their music, there's no coming back from that. You're finished.

I supported Hard Fi once (though I won't say where or when), and we thought that was the absolute pinnacle.

Ferris

Quote from: kalowski on May 10, 2019, 11:53:43 PM
Oof. I often think, "Imagine liking Muse!"

I always thought they were shite, though I also thought early Coldplay was alright so what did I really know?

Shaky

Bat Out of Hell 2 - I genuinely loved I'd Do Anything For Love (But I Won't Do That)... and I'm sure there were other songs I liked as well.

kalowski

Quote from: kalowski on May 10, 2019, 08:19:20 PM
I am embarrassed to say I bought Permanent Vacation which contained the classic Dude Looks Like a Lady.
https://youtu.be/nf0oXY4nDxE
Look at how stupid they all appear!
2 years after this is saw This Is Spinal Tap for the first time and the rest is history.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Rizla on May 11, 2019, 01:40:33 AM
The Wonder Stuff, the album with size of a cow on.

That was around the time they went downhill for me too.
Really liked Eight Legged Groove Machine and HUP was mostly decent too, so I'd never dismiss them completely.

Miles Hunt does seem like a prick though.