Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,185
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:44:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Bad, bad stuff you once liked.

Started by kalowski, May 10, 2019, 08:19:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alan nagsworth

kngen

Marillion, and I couldn't for the life of me understand why Fish's ridiculously overwrought lyrics were a source of such amusement in the likes of NME etc. But then you're supposed to think they're brilliant when you're 14, aren't you? It's the grown-ups (and Fish, too) that you have to worry about in hindsight.

kngen

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on May 13, 2019, 01:58:23 PM
Have you listened to it (Infected) lately? I genuinely think it's the most poorly dated thing I've ever heard.

I need to give it another listen, as I'm definitely in the 'First two albums great, Mindbomb etc pish' camp, but when I listen to The The semi-annually I always go to Soulmining to scratch that particular itch.

If nothing else, I love the fact that Matt Johnson was a trojan horse who brought freaks like Sleazy and JG Thirlwell into my life long before I was ready to fully engage with them on their own terms.

Dirty Boy

What was Thirlwell's involvement in The The, was it just production/remix work?

buzby

Quote from: Dirty Boy on May 14, 2019, 01:33:39 PM
What was Thirlwell's involvement in The The, was it just production/remix work?
He played marimba on Flesh And Bones from the 1986 Heartland cassette EP and percussion on Giant from Soul Mining (under the pseudonym Frank Want). He also produced a number of remixes of Dogs Of Lust

Dirty Boy

Thanks. He was fucking everywhere in the 80's. He even turned up in The Comic Strip.

Epic Bisto

Quote from: buzby on May 13, 2019, 01:01:18 AM
If you pop over to the TOTP thread, you will find that is exactly where the title of the song came from.
(She lives in Henley-On-Thames now, which might account for the snootiness).
This apparently after the glory years, probably an acoustic solo show or something in the early to mid 90s.  According to the missus, the request was demanded with no sense of irony.

Jockice

Do The Danse Society count here? A second division goth band from Barnsley who I was severely into as a sixth former. They then attempted to go commercial and did a flop single with Stock, Aitken and Waterman, which scuppered any coolness they ever had. I still quite like some of their early stuff though.

Here's some of their early stuff. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGULgL7rSC8

And that single. You spin me round like a warped record. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dra86K502gQ

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: phantom_power on May 13, 2019, 02:12:32 PM
I listened to the Rocky 4 soundtrack so much as a child that I listened to it for the first time in decades recently and still knew most of the words, and still love the songs despite them being being soft metal power ballad shite

I feel the same way about that soundtrack. It's objectively awful but the songs are really catchy and entertaining in their earnest, airbrushed, coked-up, hairsprayed way. They all sound like Limmy's Gotta Take a Little Time, what's not to love?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_8Uv-y8Dbc

Rocky IV, the film, basically consists of a straight-faced version of that sketch repeated for 90 minutes.

Sin Agog

There's this genre called Eurobeat which is basically Italo-Disco after being given a NOS-injection.  I believe it was an export made primarily for rich Japanese teen twats to play in their souped-up Subarus.  Anyway I still find it really useful for putting on when I'm out and about and in need of a kick up the arse, even though I know it is crass as fuck. A typical example from the genre: Running in the 90s

Gregory Torso

Quote from: Sin Agog on May 14, 2019, 10:15:46 PM
There's this genre called Eurobeat which is basically Italo-Disco after being given a NOS-injection.  I believe it was an export made primarily for rich Japanese teen twats to play in their souped-up Subarus.  Anyway I still find it really useful for putting on when I'm out and about and in need of a kick up the arse, even though I know it is crass as fuck. A typical example from the genre: Running in the 90s

Congratulations, that's really horrible.

Phil_A

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on May 14, 2019, 09:05:10 PM
I feel the same way about that soundtrack. It's objectively awful but the songs are really catchy and entertaining in their earnest, airbrushed, coked-up, hairsprayed way. They all sound like Limmy's Gotta Take a Little Time, what's not to love?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_8Uv-y8Dbc

Rocky IV, the film, basically consists of a straight-faced version of that sketch repeated for 90 minutes.

That's a real song of course, the beloved staple of shite soft rock stations that is Foreigner's "I Want To Know What Love Is".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raNGeq3_DtM

MidnightShambler

Just to refer back to the OP, Permanent Vacation isn't terrible at all. Obviously it's not Transformer or Let It Bleed (to just pick two at random) but it's hardly Let Loose. Bad Bad stuff must be something like EYC or Chaka Demi's And Pliers, not cock rock that's ok if you're pissed....fucking hell, hasn't everybody got something much worse than Permanent Vacation in their collection? I have, for a start, Pump...

kalowski

Quote from: MidnightShambler on May 15, 2019, 02:59:00 AM
Just to refer back to the OP, Permanent Vacation isn't terrible at all. Obviously it's not Transformer or Let It Bleed (to just pick two at random) but it's hardly Let Loose. Bad Bad stuff must be something like EYC or Chaka Demi's And Pliers, not cock rock that's ok if you're pissed....fucking hell, hasn't everybody got something much worse than Permanent Vacation in their collection? I have, for a start, Pump...
Watch that video to Dude Looks Like a Lady and tell me that's not bad, bad stuff.

lebowskibukowski

Where to start, really? Poison-lite glam rockers Enuff Z'Nuff? Some sub-par Chili Peppers band called, I think, Heads Up. Babylon AD, LA Guns, Dogs D'Amour, Rod Stewart tribute act The Quireboys, basically a whole lot of late 80's poodle-hair rock/metal.
Not necessarily bad, bad, but I used to think that the Stone Roses album was the greatest thing to happen to music. I listen to it now and it's just a bit...weedy.
Actually, I take back The Quireboys, as I still really like "7 O Clock"...

Quote from: Sin Agog on May 14, 2019, 10:15:46 PM

I became quite obsessed with the Initial D anime, so I really got into Eurobeat. They lure you in with something as seemingly innocuous as Space Boy at the start of the series and before you know it, you've got Love Is In Danger on repeat on the bus home from work.

MidnightShambler

Quote from: kalowski on May 15, 2019, 06:22:05 AM
Watch that video to Dude Looks Like a Lady and tell me that's not bad, bad stuff.

Mate, you're not even scratching the surface with some of the videos from that time. Dude Looks Like. A Lady is Citizen Kane compared to some of the shite David Lee Roth, WASP or Motley Crue turned out at the time.

If you can find it, check out a band called Mammoth and their tune 'Fat Man'. The video is a lot of overweight men being bullied in a gym lesson, breaking trampolines etc. Even in 1988 I thought it was a bit rum!

Jerzy Bondov

When we were packing to move out of our first flat, my wife found the first CD I ever bought - PJ & Duncan AKA Psyche. Haha let's pop that on for a good laugh, said I. You will not be surprised to learn that the album is unlistenably bad.

I think I can be forgiven for 2 Unlimited and the likes aged 10 or so. It's harder to justify rushing out to buy Def Leppard and Bon Jovi albums when I first became seduced by the sound of electric guitars a couple of years later. Very much both at the shite end of their careers too.

Sin Agog

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on May 15, 2019, 09:39:23 AM
I became quite obsessed with the Initial D anime, so I really got into Eurobeat. They lure you in with something as seemingly innocuous as Space Boy at the start of the series and before you know it, you've got Love Is In Danger on repeat on the bus home from work.

Haha, had a similar trajectory.  I actually think most of it is great pop musik, even if everything's so incredibly sped up it might as well be the same song every time.  So kind of like the Ramones of Dance-Pop in that way.

I do sometimes look at the listening figures to music like that and Trap and Hyphy and Miami Bass and tons of other things and wonder if the so-called experimentalists are actually far more staid and set in our ways than we like to imagine ourselves.

Cuellar

Quote from: Cuellar on May 15, 2019, 11:21:39 AM
Black Eyed Peas

Oh, God. Such a waste of talent. Still, they put this out, so it wasn't all bad. Now, I know some might point out that it didn't feature Fergie at all and was bolstered by John Legend, Q-Tip, Cee-Lo, Talib Kweli and co. being on the track and that it would have taken more talent to actually fuck up a track featuring that roster, but the point still stands. Mostly.

Bingo Fury

It's the Boomtown Rats for me. Bought three albums and went to see them live. All the other stuff I liked as a teenager I'll still defend (to varying degrees), but the Rats period feels like an aberration now.

Tons of really bad eurotrance from the late 90s when I was about 18-20, coincidentally coinciding with the first ever pills I took.  Still got lots of it on vinyl, and some of the German (stuff like Taucher, Der Dritte Raum) and the Italian stuff (Mauro Picotto, DAF etc) still bangs.  Was also well into Dutch style trance (Tiesto, Ferry Corsten), but listening to it is a bit like eating loads of cake icing, if you catch my drift.

BlodwynPig

Der Dritte Raum were and are phenomenal. I eschew many of the big names, who were far too basic, but plenty stuff still hold up

BeardFaceMan

I listened to that Babylon Zoo album far more times than I should have.

Enrico Palazzo

I bought Alice, What's the Matter by Terrorvision when I was 15. Old enough to know better. Also bought a Spin Doctors album but I wasn't old enough to know better.

Icehaven

I was listening to an 80s radio station this morning and a song came on which I didn't really recognise but sounded vaguely familiar, like it might just sound a lot like something else from the same era. But then I started to realise I knew most of the words despite still not feeling I knew it, then the words 'Brother Beyond' just appeared in my mind. I think I must have blocked them from my memory somewhere around 1990, and this was the first time they'd popped up since. I didn't ever like them as such but I must have listened to this song (The Harder I try) enough to know all the words, then totally forgotten about it and them for 30 years. Anyway it's dogshite, which is why I'm mentioning it here.

dmillburn

Quote from: lebowskibukowski on May 15, 2019, 09:30:01 AM
Some sub-par Chili Peppers band called, I think, Heads Up.

Crumbs, I'd forgotten all about them. I remember loving that album (Soul Brother Crisis Intervention?) when it came out, playing it to death for 3 months and then never going back to it.