Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:31:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Bad, bad stuff you once liked.

Started by kalowski, May 10, 2019, 08:19:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greenman

Quote from: Howj Begg on May 13, 2019, 06:18:41 PM
Oh god. Oasis, Echobelly, Gene, The Bluetones, Salad, Cast. I went to see every 2nd tier indie band that played the Astoria.

Bit harsh on the Bluetones, Slight Return and Marblehead Johnson are some of the few Britpop tracks not by Pulp/Blur/Supergrass that still get the odd listen.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Enrico Palazzo on May 15, 2019, 02:52:29 PM
Also bought a Spin Doctors album but I wasn't old enough to know better.

About 15 Million people made the same error.
I can only assume that Two Princes contained some kind of evil genius subconscious marketing which was picked up by the masses via its hourly Radio 1 broadcast.

greenman

Second hand CD shops used to use spin doctors albums to insulate their walls in the late 90's didn't they?

jobotic

You wankers. That annoyingly catchy song is now lodged in my brain.

If you want to talk for hours, just go ahead now. Enjoy yourself, I'm going out.

dallasman

Quote from: DrGreggles on May 13, 2019, 06:23:44 PM
Expecting To Fly is a cracking album.

Ha ha, that's the one I clicked in to mention. The one CD I ever bought by a new artist that completely turned me off them at once. I thought the single was really good; good chords, slightly unusual structure. Similiar to Gene, I thought. But where "Olympian" mostly lived up to "Haunted by You", I found the rest of the Bluetones album a barren wasteland. There was one other track I liked alright, but my main reaction was almost baffled disappointment. Probably when 'Britpop' became a legitimate slur to my mind. Not that there wasn't quality stuff still being made with guitars in Britain, but that particular album stands out as a rare purchase that I immediately regretted.

Quote from: greenman on May 16, 2019, 06:57:26 PM
Second hand CD shops used to use spin doctors albums to insulate their walls in the late 90's didn't they?

Pretty sure I got it used no later than 1994. They were over fast, but I'm one of those people who thought "Two Princes" was catchy, then thought "wow, these guys can play" when I heard the album. Singer Chris: punchable face, weak voice, terrible lyrics (several Shakespeare references, including one about him reading Shakespeare in his place downtown). But the other three are a very decent jam band, and they make a perfectly decent whole on things like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M43qA_3tdK4
Not saying they're great or anything, mind you.

I like to think I've always had good taste, if a little unadventurous. I was raised on high quality rock music, and was a fan of many of the bands I still play frequently, before I started school. One band I'm slightly embarrassed about having liked rather a lot is probably Primus. Went to a concert and everything, can't stomach more than one song now, if that. For similar reasons, I no longer find the first Mr. Bungle album as irresistable as I did in 1992, though Bungle still objectively slays. Also had the obligatory Cypress Hill phase, with a lot of smoking, giggling and rapping along in B-real voices. Wouldn't do that these days, though I don't know if I'm even qualified to judge "Black Sunday" as good or bad. Still makes me chuckle when it comes on somewhere.

There's also an element of becoming less of a snob, more "live and let live", as one ages. What's really "bad, bad stuff", really? I only liked the good Chili Peppers albums (->BSSM), but I don't listen to them anymore. Didn't buy a lot of grunge, though it was omnipresent when I was roughly 16-18. In fact, I think I only bought "Bleach" on CD from that whole bunch of bands. A lot of home taping went on at the time, admittedly. It was still the age of the Walkman, but I can't remember ever grooving along to anything I'd consider objectively shit today. I'm pretty damn clean, all things considered. Unless I mistakenly think some bad, bad bands are good, but I doubt that.

greenman

Jamie Theakston repeatedly referring to them as the Blue Tons is actually my strongest memory of them.

Quote from: DrGreggles on May 16, 2019, 06:20:29 PM
About 15 Million people made the same error.
I can only assume that Two Princes contained some kind of evil genius subconscious marketing which was picked up by the masses via its hourly Radio 1 broadcast.

Indeed.  I hated Two Princes and its ubiquity on the radio (and its follow-up, which sounded exactly the same), and yet I still bought the Pocket Full of Kryptonite album.

Enrico Palazzo

Quote from: Darles Chickens on May 17, 2019, 11:43:02 AM
Indeed.  I hated Two Princes and its ubiquity on the radio (and its follow-up, which sounded exactly the same), and yet I still bought the Pocket Full of Kryptonite album.

I watched it on YouTube yesterday for a refresher. It really is bad. I'd forgotten that it includes scatting.