Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:09:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Bad, bad stuff you once liked.

Started by kalowski, May 10, 2019, 08:19:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrGreggles

Quote from: Shaky on May 11, 2019, 03:18:52 AM
Bat Out of Hell 2 - I genuinely loved I'd Do Anything For Love (But I Won't Do That)... and I'm sure there were other songs I liked as well.

I assume a lot of people bought Bat Out of Hell 2 purely because they had Bat Out of Hell.
I also assume a lot of those people haven't listened to Bat Out of Hell 2 since 1993.

hedgehog90

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on May 11, 2019, 01:52:21 AM
I supported Hard Fi once (though I won't say where or when), and we thought that was the absolute pinnacle.

Oh god you were in The Pigeon Detectives weren't you.
Or maybe The Kooks.
...The Feeling?

Go on, admit it, you were in all 3.

MidnightShambler

Bat Out of Hell 2 - I genuinely loved I'd Do Anything For Love (But I Won't Do That)... and I'm sure there were other songs I liked as well.

I did the same thing. I loved it too and there was another song on it, Life Is a Lemon And I want My Money Back, that I thought was brilliant. I was 12 though, so hopefully that's an acceptable excuse.

Endicott

Superwombling

I was 11. Might even be the first LP I ever bought.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: BlodwynPig on May 10, 2019, 09:19:31 PM
I have all four and a DVD.

Remember at school when a couple of the posher kids had nabbed tickets to see Carol et al live.

I saw T'pau live but it was pre-thigh boots era.  A friend saw them a couple of years before me, supporting Bryan Adams.  He said at one point while Bryan Adams was on, Carol appeared in the wings and flashed her chest at him, assuming it was for his eyes only and not the first few rows as well.

QuoteThe next day they played cock tease all fucking day with the rest of us ("she was wearing leather thigh boots").

There you go, fill your, er, boots.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Which one adjective would best describe Carol Decker? I'm going with " carroty".

Certain British psychobilly bands from the 80's, ie The Meteors, Guana Batz, Klingonz etc. I used to be in a band that played that kind of stuff and convinced myself that it was good when in fact like any music scene 99% of it was dogshit and there just weren't enough bands competing so that good groups emerged from it. I mean the most famous band to emerge from the whole thing was The Meteors and they are absolute feeshus and always have been.

grassbath

Tom Scharpling has a very accurate bit about when you're a kid into music and you have no real compass of taste, you spend ages carefully selecting the right options but ultimately guilelessly jizz your pocket money on a bizarre combination based on received wisdom and stuff that has a cool cover. I remember getting, in a 2 for £10, Jaco Pastorius' self titled and I Created Disco by Calvin Harris. Then looking through the CD booklets on the bus home, trying to extract secrets and info to take back to my mates as if they were in any way comparable as classic, acclaimed albums. Just bizarre.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on May 11, 2019, 02:40:12 PM
Which one adjective would best describe Carol Decker? I'm going with " carroty".

carroty scouse.

buttgammon

I was a huge ska-punk fan in my tweens and early teens. Bits of songs from that period occasionally get stuck in my head; for example, I woke up with Save Ferris's cover of Come on Eileen in my head this morning. I had to listen to the original about eight times in a row to replace it.

Icehaven

Loads of cheesy 80s and early 90s chart pop, until I reached my teens and discovered Suede and the Manics and the NME and realised that Ten Good Reasons by Jason Donovan wasn't the greatest album ever released.

Epic Bisto

Quote from: grassbath on May 11, 2019, 08:02:11 PM
Tom Scharpling has a very accurate bit about when you're a kid into music and you have no real compass of taste, you spend ages carefully selecting the right options but ultimately guilelessly jizz your pocket money on a bizarre combination based on received wisdom and stuff that has a cool cover. I remember getting, in a 2 for £10, Jaco Pastorius' self titled and I Created Disco by Calvin Harris. Then looking through the CD booklets on the bus home, trying to extract secrets and info to take back to my mates as if they were in any way comparable as classic, acclaimed albums. Just bizarre.

I understand this way of thinking all too well.  Getting into vinyl at a young age meant buying lots of horrid stuff just because it's old and pressed on bits of black plastic.  At one point, my money was wasted on a variety of shit, including 2 Sky albums, 4 Toyah albums, and other stuff that I've blotted out of my mind.  You shouldn't really be held accountable for clueless adolescent decisions, but it's enough to make you want to go back in time and give your younger self a clip 'round the ear.

"Come here, boy.  Save this money up and buy that freaky looking Miles Davis box you keep seeing at HMV.  Trust me when I say that you'll love this bloke's music.  And while you're here, use those vouchers your nan gave you to buy some hip-hop tapes."

BlodwynPig

The only album I regretted buying was Like a Tim's Red and Blue Boxing because I owned the Korgs used on the album

If you manage more than 2 seconds let me know

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfedq1XdZbU

(I liked his other work... to keep with the aim of the thread).

Shiiiit, I had one of the metal EAs years ago but sold it as I didn't really understand how they worked. Won one on eBay about five years ago for 55 quid that the guy had mysteriously 'lost' when I asked why he hadn't sent it. Love buying and not getting round to learning bits of old kit.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: BlodwynPig on May 11, 2019, 09:17:45 PM
The only album I regretted buying was Like a Tim's Red and Blue Boxing because I owned the Korgs used on the album

If you manage more than 2 seconds let me know

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfedq1XdZbU

(I liked his other work... to keep with the aim of the thread).

I bought all three, but really it was the green (sampler) one that got (& still gets) the most use. I think cooper-temple clause were big fans of that first generation of electribe too, though I can never remember which one of their videos it is where you see them.

as for "like a tim"- I've done stuff like that. it's cathartic, but I don't know if it's necessarily commercial. in this case, it sounds like the residents soundchecking.

kalowski

I had some terrible shit. I bought the debut album by the Vinnie Vincent Invasion.

Viero_Berlotti

2 Unlimited.

Still wank over Ray and Anita to this day.

TheMonk

Is Objects In The Rear View Mirror (They Appear Closer Than They Are) on that one?
Always reminded me of a Not The Nine O'Clock News parody of those Meatloaf / Steinman songs.
Mel Smith did do a Meatloaf once didn't he?

gilbertharding

Quote from: buzby on May 10, 2019, 11:21:57 PM
Decker only lived in Huyton until she was seven, at which point her family moved to Wellington in Shropshire as her father had got a job there. At the time Heart And Soul became a hit and T'Pau took off Decker and Rogers were living in the flat above the boathouse of Pengwern Boating Club on the other side of the River Severn from The Quarry Park in Shrewsbury (I went to have a look around there one lunchtime while I was doing work at Shropshire Fire HQ).
https://goo.gl/maps/z4LBMeu2qdSAho5g8

At some point in the 00s, Carol Decker lived across the road from Vinni Reilley, who was posting at the time (anonymously, under the name Uncle Whuppity) on the popbitch message board.

gilbertharding

I used to like Sonic Youth and Mudhoney. Nothing wrong with that, but I used to like them to the extent that I'd buy almost anything with a tangential connection. The Harry Crews album, for instance. The Dim Stars. The Sad and Lonelys. Monkeywrench. Thrown Ups.

I collected all these records... did I think it would get me a girlfriend? I know if I'd HAD a girlfriend I wouldn't have bought all those records. At least I hope not. Fucking hell.

Jockice

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on May 11, 2019, 01:33:47 AM
The The. I just downloaded the first two albums as I really liked them when I was younger and whilst Soul Mining has 1 or 2 good songs, Infected is mostly awful. Dated to the point of being unlistenable.

My usual anecdote about loving the first album, buying the second but never playing it and badly falling out with one of my best mates with an argument about the third. Which was shite.

pigamus

The first album I ever bought was Listen Without Prejudice Volume I by George Michael. I thought Praying For Time was some deep shit, man.

iamcoop

Quote from: Twed on May 11, 2019, 01:44:25 AM
Living in Essex in the late 90s. My brother-in-law did her landscape gardening, unless he's a lying bastard (possible; he did seem to think her name was T'pau).

I hope somebody is taking the minutes for this meeting of The Carol Decker Stalker Society.

An old school friend of mine who subsequently went on to become my first serious girlfriend used to manage a pub in Berkshire that Carol Decker owned. I used to go and sit at the bar whilst my girlfriend was working, and at that time was playing in a band that were getting a bit of a name for ourselves on the circuit in Reading. As soon as Carol found out about this she would constantly come over and drunkenly ramble terrible music career advice to me, speaking as if she were fucking Bowie or something. Lovely hair though. There was also a funny occasion where Carol was on some television singing contest programme (I can't remember which), and the whole pub was made to shut up and watch the TV, only to see Carol deliver a dire performance that subsequently caused her to crash out at the end of the first round, much to the mirth of everyone watching.

Icehaven

I'm starting to feel like I must be the only person on CaB who's never met, lived near or worked somewhere connected to Carol Decker

sevendaughters

just rubbish on Fat Wreck Chords and other assorted shit aimed at Warped Tour cunts as well as various monkeys with guitars like Hundred Reasons and Read Yellow. most of my very nascent taste like Erasure and N-Trance stand up though.

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

I once bought a saw a woodpecker that looked like Carol Decker.

Also Limp Bizkit and Green Day.

Absorb the anus burn

Absorb the anus burn

Quote from: Absorb the anus burn on May 12, 2019, 02:17:15 PM
Sultans Of Ping FC.
Bedazzled.

I still stand by Carter USM, Airhead, 1000 Yard Stare, Top...............

DrGreggles

Quote from: Absorb the anus burn on May 12, 2019, 02:17:15 PM
Sultans Of Ping FC.

Saw them supporting Teenage Fanclub (I think) in 1993ish and they were good fun.
I think I liked them despite being aware that they were 'bad, bad stuff'.