Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:25:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Bad, bad stuff you once liked.

Started by kalowski, May 10, 2019, 08:19:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Absorb the anus burn

The lyrics to Where's Me Jumper? make me cringe now....

No offence to the band intended. It was part of the exuberance of youth.... Honestly, they would have been great in 1974 as a New York Dolls rip off band supporting Be Bop Deluxe in Maidstone.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Absorb the anus burn on May 12, 2019, 02:24:05 PM

Ha! I've just discovered that I can still reel them off!

Cuntbeaks

Quote from: DrGreggles on May 12, 2019, 02:20:22 PM
Saw them supporting Teenage Fanclub (I think) in 1993ish and they were good fun.
I think I liked them despite being aware that they were 'bad, bad stuff'.
Saw them in a tiny venue in Greenock in 93, playing to about 30 people. Just a bunch of lads fucking about and having a laugh, no chinstroking required. The lead singer was an absolute zoomer and worth the ticket price alone, great value.

Kane Jones

Quote from: kalowski on May 11, 2019, 10:20:38 PM
I had some terrible shit. I bought the debut album by the Vinnie Vincent Invasion.

This made me laugh. I have this on vinyl and still occasionally listen to it. It is cheesy old shit, but I think some of the songs are great. Back On The Streets, I Wanna Be Your Victim.. Love those tunes. However, the vocals are shrill and appalling and Vincent ruins every song by soloing and shredding all over the shop. His stuff with Kiss is some of their best stuff though. Vinnie was a decent songwriter, just an incredibly tasteless and showy guitarist.

Epic Bisto

My wife was a PA for a Carol Decker show at the Fleece & Firkin.  Apparently she was a bit snooty but pleasant enough.  Carol requested some tea in a fine china cup.  No one made the obvious joke for fear of ginger wrath.

flotemysost

Quote from: grassbath on May 11, 2019, 08:02:11 PM
Tom Scharpling has a very accurate bit about when you're a kid into music and you have no real compass of taste, you spend ages carefully selecting the right options but ultimately guilelessly jizz your pocket money on a bizarre combination based on received wisdom and stuff that has a cool cover.

I remember getting a WH Smith voucher for Christmas one year and spending it on two CDs: Missundaztood by Pink, and a compilation of Erik Satie piano pieces.

Contrary to the above though, I don't think I saw either as cool, I just genuinely liked both artists. Not sure what I was thinking with Pink though - I was into a lot of the big female pop/r'n'b chart stuff of that time (and still am), Christina Aguilera, Beyonce, Eve and the like - but that album really wasn't that great, then her forays into shouty bubblegum pop-rock stuff were even worse.

kalowski

Quote from: Kane Jones on May 12, 2019, 03:09:20 PM
This made me laugh. I have this on vinyl and still occasionally listen to it. It is cheesy old shit, but I think some of the songs are great. Back On The Streets, I Wanna Be Your Victim.. Love those tunes. However, the vocals are shrill and appalling and Vincent ruins every song by soloing and shredding all over the shop. His stuff with Kiss is some of their best stuff though. Vinnie was a decent songwriter, just an incredibly tasteless and showy guitarist.
I've never communicated with anyone who also had this album. I got rid of it ages ago, but it seems you still have it.

Wasn't VV with Kiss during the Lick It Up period? That's pretty crap.

grassbath

Quote from: alan nagsworth on May 12, 2019, 02:15:10 PM
damien rice

Christ. Me too. Shudder.

Sometimes though - only VERY occasionally - when drunk and in the foulest depths of maudlin nostalgia-mining, I will put on one of his tracks. Just to get a memory-pang of being 15 and hopelessly fancying the girl round the corner. Look I've admitted it ok.

thraxx

Elastica.

Listened to the first record on a whim last in 2002, and fuck me it's complete shit. Can't understand what I ever saw in them. Callowness of youth.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: grassbath on May 12, 2019, 05:58:10 PM
Christ. Me too. Shudder.

Sometimes though - only VERY occasionally - when drunk and in the foulest depths of maudlin nostalgia-mining, I will put on one of his tracks. Just to get a memory-pang of being 15 and hopelessly fancying the girl round the corner. Look I've admitted it ok.

Heheh yeah funnily enough I always listened to it when I was drunk. Embarrassingly also I would often crash out at my mate's place after we'd go out on the piss and he would play it as we went to sleep. I have very little shame but that memory really makes me cringe.

Ferris

Quote from: sevendaughters on May 12, 2019, 01:18:54 PM
just rubbish on Fat Wreck Chords and other assorted shit aimed at Warped Tour cunts as well as various monkeys with guitars like Hundred Reasons and Read Yellow. most of my very nascent taste like Erasure and N-Trance stand up though.

Hundred Reasons are/were great. First gig I ever went to was them with Hell is for Heroes. Great stuff - later found out I'd been at the same show as the 2 best men at my wedding years before I met them.

Small world int it.

alan nagsworth

Two of the Hundred Reasons chaps are playing acoustic gigs of their tunes right now and calling themselves Undead Raisins. I'm not joking.

Ferris

Quote from: alan nagsworth on May 12, 2019, 09:46:29 PM
Two of the Hundred Reasons chaps are playing acoustic gigs of their tunes right now and calling themselves Undead Raisins. I'm not joking.

Brb buying tickets

alan nagsworth

If I ever had to suffer the embarrassment of having the words "Undead Raisins" in an email in my inbox I would kill myself.

kalowski

Quote from: alan nagsworth on May 12, 2019, 09:46:29 PM

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on May 12, 2019, 09:41:32 PM
Hundred Reasons are/were great. First gig I ever went to was them with Hell is for Heroes. Great stuff - later found out I'd been at the same show as the 2 best men at my wedding years before I met them.

Small world int it.
Hell Is For Heroes the suprior Band there.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on May 12, 2019, 09:41:32 PM
Great stuff - later found out I'd been at the same show as the 2 best men at my wedding years before I met them.

Small world int it.

I like this. My girlfriend, who I met on Tinder last May, was at the same ATP festival as me twelve years ago. I love that we were both in the same room all that time ago, watching Mogwai.

Ferris

Quote from: alan nagsworth on May 12, 2019, 10:15:16 PM
I like this. My girlfriend, who I met on Tinder last May, was at the same ATP festival as me twelve years ago. I love that we were both in the same room all that time ago, watching Mogwai.

Cool innit

Turns out I went to tons of ska gigs at the Birmingham academy that future friends were at in the early '00s, including multiple shows by Cheltenham ska-wave legends Spunge.

Also, for the purposes of this thread; Spunge.

buzby

Quote from: Epic Bisto on May 12, 2019, 03:12:40 PM
My wife was a PA for a Carol Decker show at the Fleece & Firkin.  Apparently she was a bit snooty but pleasant enough.  Carol requested some tea in a fine china cup.  No one made the obvious joke for fear of ginger wrath.
If you pop over to the TOTP thread, you will find that is exactly where the title of the song came from.
(She lives in Henley-On-Thames now, which might account for the snootiness).

Jockice

Quote from: Absorb the anus burn on May 12, 2019, 02:24:05 PM

No offence to the band intended. It was part of the exuberance of youth.... Honestly, they would have been great in 1974 as a New York Dolls rip off band supporting Be Bop Deluxe in Maidstone.

The lyrics remind me of my first ever shag. Which came about because I lost my jumper in a nightclub. Just thought you'd like to know.

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on May 13, 2019, 12:33:03 AM

Also, for the purposes of this thread; Spunge.

*[spunge].

Capdown were much better.

Also, for the purposes of this thread; Capdown.

Jockice

Quote from: alan nagsworth on May 12, 2019, 10:15:16 PM

Nice! One of the last times I met up with the woman who broke my heart over two decades ago (a few months after she'd dumped me and me falling for the 'let's just be friends and see what happens' scam, otherwise known as stringing me along while all the time looking for someone else then immediately dropping me like a hot brick as soon as she did) it turned out that we'd attended the same concert three or four years before meeting. BoDeans at the Leadmill. They were pretty crap. And not The Bodines who I quite like.

She then said: ''You're always going on about how much you stand out. Well I never saw you there!'' And sat with a smug look on her face as if my 'going on about standing out' (which basically boils down to a couple of occasions when I was blatantly singled out in front of her because of the way I look) had been conclusively proved as an attention-seeking lie.

Not that I'm bitter or anything. And I didn't see her there either.

Icehaven

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on May 13, 2019, 12:33:03 AM
Cool innit

Turns out I went to tons of ska gigs at the Birmingham academy that future friends were at in the early '00s, including multiple shows by Cheltenham ska-wave legends Spunge.

Quote from: Jockice on May 13, 2019, 10:03:54 AM
Nice! One of the last times I met up with the woman who broke my heart over two decades ago (a few months after she'd dumped me and me falling for the 'let's just be friends and see what happens' scam, otherwise known as stringing me along while all the time looking for someone else then immediately dropping me like a hot brick as soon as she did) it turned out that we'd attended the same concert three or four years before meeting. BoDeans at the Leadmill. They were pretty crap. And not The Bodines who I quite like.

She then said: ''You're always going on about how much you stand out. Well I never saw you there!'' And sat with a smug look on her face as if my 'going on about standing out' (which basically boils down to a couple of occasions when I was blatantly singled out in front of her because of the way I look) had been conclusively proved as an attention-seeking lie.

Not that I'm bitter or anything. And I didn't see her there either.

I and two future friends all watched Mansun at the 1999 Reading festival alone, while the people we'd gone to the festival with were watching Red Hot Chilli Peppers on the main stage.

Sin Agog

Been avoiding this thread, but OK...Placebo 'cause I wanted all of pre-bald Brian Molko's holes.

Shaky

Quote from: TheMonk on May 12, 2019, 01:55:20 AM
Is Objects In The Rear View Mirror (They Appear Closer Than They Are) on that one?
Always reminded me of a Not The Nine O'Clock News parody of those Meatloaf / Steinman songs.
Mel Smith did do a Meatloaf once didn't he?

Yeah, that ten minute (!) bastard is on there. I can remember the chorus but that's about it. Awful stuff though, obviously.

Here's the spot-on spoof with Smith and Jones:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPeO033zbCA

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Sin Agog on May 13, 2019, 10:54:32 AM
Been avoiding this thread, but OK...Placebo 'cause I wanted all of pre-bald Brian Molko's holes.

Are Placebo bad, bad stuff? Their first three albums at least are very good. I fucking love the self titled one.

Sin Agog

They're alright, but the combining of barre chords and mascara no longer has the same effect on me it once did.

phantom_power

I still can't get over my love of The Wonderstuff, despite knowing that some of their stuff is objectively a bit shit. Anything from the age of about 15 to 22 is so imprinted on my mind that I have lost all ability to tell if it is good or not.

Jockice

Quote from: icehaven on May 13, 2019, 10:38:04 AM
I and two future friends all watched Mansun at the 1999 Reading festival alone, while the people we'd gone to the festival with were watching Red Hot Chilli Peppers on the main stage.

Conversely a mate of mine from schooldays (who I used to knock around with a lot until a few years ago) and I went to see the same two concerts at different venues on the same night with other people but didn't meet each other at any point during the evening or even know that the other was at these gigs until we next went for a drink a week or so later.

The two concerts were Lloyd Cole And The Commotions and Sigue Sigue Sputnik incidentally. Wow, I have such diverse tastes. I once saw The Damned and a classical orchestra on the same night too.

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on May 11, 2019, 08:19:40 PM
carroty scouse.

And whilst I'm here Hard Fi - Hard To Beat is a great pop song and the Axwell remix is a banger.

Also The The - Infected is an amazing LP and still sounds fantastic, I didn't like Soul Mining at all or the 3rd LP either - both disappointing after discovering The The through Infected.