Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:53:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Bad, bad stuff you once liked.

Started by kalowski, May 10, 2019, 08:19:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neville Chamberlain

I am astonished to see The The counting among the "bad, bad stuff". Astonished and disturbed.

I am pleased this post appears at the top of a new page.

Avril Lavigne

I was really into Korn when I was a teenage goth, had posters of them on my walls, bought multiple versions of their singles to hear the B-sides etc.  Now I find everything they've done genuinely unlistenable, like I can't even enjoy it for nostalgic reasons or just to laugh at how bad it is.  It's terrible and I don't want to hear any of it ever again.

Icehaven

Yeah I'm not getting how some of this stuff qualifies as bad, bad. I've admitted to liking the music of Jason Donovan ffs, The Wonderstuff, Placebo and a bit of pop-punk is hardly the same thing.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

I used to listen to Bruce Willis' The Return of Bruno album all the time when I was aged 12 and 13. I suppose you could argue that, as Hollywood actor vanity projects go, it's not entirely worthless as the song choices are good and it was accompanied by a fairly amusing Rutles/Spinal Tap-esque spoof documentary. Willis can't really sing, though, and the whole project dripped with his unique brand of smugness.

However, to be fair to the man, it provided me with a gateway into the soul/R&B music he was paying loving tribute to. The Blues Brothers led me down that path too. So I have three white comedy actors to thank for my love of that music. Thanks, guys!

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Better Midlands on May 13, 2019, 12:33:24 PM
Also The The - Infected is an amazing LP and still sounds fantastic, I didn't like Soul Mining at all or the 3rd LP either - both disappointing after discovering The The through Infected.

Quote from: Neville Chamberlain on May 13, 2019, 12:58:10 PM
I am astonished to see The The counting among the "bad, bad stuff". Astonished and disturbed.

Have you listened to it (Infected) lately? I genuinely think it's the most poorly dated thing I've ever heard. It sounds like those awful 12" remixes that Madness put on their 12"s. I loved the album back in the day, even stealing one of the lines for my English Language O Level exam (got an A!) but, by christ, it sounds utterly dreadful nowadays. I only downloaded them as I fancied buying them again and thought I'd have a quick re-listen, and I'm so glad I did. Eurgh! To be fair, a couple of songs from Soul Mining still sound fine but, fucking hell, the rest honks.

phantom_power

I listened to the Rocky 4 soundtrack so much as a child that I listened to it for the first time in decades recently and still knew most of the words, and still love the songs despite them being being soft metal power ballad shite

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on May 13, 2019, 01:58:23 PM
Have you listened to it (Infected) lately? I genuinely think it's the most poorly dated thing I've ever heard. It sounds like those awful 12" remixes that Madness put on their 12"s. I loved the album back in the day, even stealing one of the lines for my English Language O Level exam (got an A!) but, by christ, it sounds utterly dreadful nowadays. I only downloaded them as I fancied buying them again and thought I'd have a quick re-listen, and I'm so glad I did. Eurgh! To be fair, a couple of songs from Soul Mining still sound fine but, fucking hell, the rest honks.

I'll give it a go 4 U 2 nite.

Icehaven

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on May 13, 2019, 01:55:07 PM
I used to listen to Bruce Willis' The Return of Bruno album all the time when I was aged 12 and 13. I suppose you could argue that, as Hollywood actor vanity projects go, it's not entirely worthless as the song choices are good and it was accompanied by a fairly amusing Rutles/Spinal Tap-esque spoof documentary. Willis can't really sing, though, and the whole project dripped with his unique brand of smugness.

However, to be fair to the man, it provided me with a gateway into the soul/R&B music he was paying loving tribute to. The Blues Brothers led me down that path too. So I have three white comedy actors to thank for my love of that music. Thanks, guys!

I loved Robert Downey Jr. for most of my youth, and was delighted in 2004 when I heard he was releasing an album. Then I heard it, and it honks. I mean it's not to my taste anyway (poppy piano ballads) but I'd have thought I'd have listened to his dulcet tones singing while smashing two dustbin lids together for an hour before, so it was quite nice to find I'm not as shallow as I thought I was.

Ferris

Quote from: alan nagsworth on May 13, 2019, 11:24:10 AM
Are Placebo bad, bad stuff? Their first three albums at least are very good. I fucking love the self titled one.

Sleeping With Ghosts was good wasn't it? Came with a bonus CD it covers which were good fun as well. I remember them being a bit boring live, but this was probably 12/13 years ago

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

To each their own and all that, but The The are one of those bands who actually make me feel a bit sick. Specifically the sickness you felt in a hot car parked outside a Fife village newsagents on a sunny Sunday evening in 1986, after a day spent wandering around a coin museum.

That's not an actual memory, it's just how I feel about The The.

Howj Begg

Oh god. Oasis, Echobelly, Gene, The Bluetones, Salad, Cast. I went to see every 2nd tier indie band that played the Astoria.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Howj Begg on May 13, 2019, 06:18:41 PM
Oh god. Oasis, Echobelly, Gene, The Bluetones, Salad, Cast. I went to see every 2nd tier indie band that played the Astoria.

Expecting To Fly is a cracking album.

MattD

I bought Beady Eye's first album.

Surely a crime punishable by death.

Brundle-Fly

Yeah, the first four The The albums were mint. You're not alone, Nev.

Brundle-Fly

There is very little music from my past record collection I have completely turned my back on, even the ghastly Peter And The Test Tube Babies, ICP or Harvey & The Wallbangers. I must have a very high threshold of forgiveness and slightly sneer at the sneering "What were we thinking?" culture.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on May 13, 2019, 08:51:21 PM
There is very little music from my past record collection I have completely turned my back on, even the ghastly Peter And The Test Tube Babies, ICP or Harvey & The Wallbangers. I must have a very high threshold of forgiveness and slightly sneer at the sneering "What were we thinking?" culture.

Bet you've got recordings in there by Serious Drinking and Action Pact ( not to mention The Gymslips )in there too, I shouldn't wonder. I would still quite happily listen to the selected works of any of that bunch, especially the theme from " Angels" and the cover version of " Robot Man " by the last group I done named.

Avril Lavigne

I must have a very high threshold of forgiveness and slightly sneer at the sneering "What were we thinking?" culture.

With myself and Korn it's not so much sneering as just hearing the stuff now and thinking 'this is aurally annoying on an instinctive level and it's immediately making my anxiety levels shoot up'.

Mr Banlon

Secret Affair, The Chords, Merton Parkas, and all the other sub-Jam Mod-revival bands.

Rolf Lundgren

When my eye catches Hoobastank's eponymous debut album resting neatly in my CD collection, it causes me to pause and wonder if I've ever really known myself.

kalowski

Hopefully there'll be a thread in 20 years full of people lamenting their days listening to (The) Blossoms.

Dr Rock

Then Jerico. Because the singer was cute.

Gregory Torso

Bright Eyes. Forgive me. I really really liked Fevers And Mirrors, but even then acknowledged it was a bit over the top and earnest in its tortured poetry and croaky sincerity (although it seemed to be a bit tongue in cheek). Everything else Connor Oberst has done is absolute dog shit.

Also when i was twenty I used to drink a bottle of wine whilst watching the Simpsons and listen to Incubus's "Deep Inside".

grassbath

Quote from: Gregory Torso on May 13, 2019, 11:06:04 PM
Bright Eyes. Forgive me. I really really liked Fevers And Mirrors, but even then acknowledged it was a bit over the top and earnest in its tortured poetry and croaky sincerity (although it seemed to be a bit tongue in cheek). Everything else Connor Oberst has done is absolute dog shit.

Yeh. This is good though, and especially this.

Gregory Torso

Quote from: Gregory Torso on May 13, 2019, 11:06:04 PM
Incubus's "Deep Inside".

I just listened to this and so so SO SO FUCKING BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADD

Gregory Torso

Quote from: grassbath on May 13, 2019, 11:09:48 PM
Yeh. This is good though, and especially this.

Yeah that EP I loved as well, Every Day And Every Night. It's not really bad, it just sounds very affected and teen angst-y.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on May 13, 2019, 08:58:31 PM
Bet you've got recordings in there by Serious Drinking and Action Pact ( not to mention The Gymslips )in there too, I shouldn't wonder. I would still quite happily listen to the selected works of any of that bunch, especially the theme from " Angels" and the cover version of " Robot Man " by the last group I done named.

Serious Drinking were fantastic!  As were Case from the same time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMhLsTeohYQ

Ferris

Quote from: Gregory Torso on May 13, 2019, 11:10:26 PM
I just listened to this and so so SO SO FUCKING BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADD

I maintain some early Incubus was alright. The weird stuff wit the digeridoo and all funk music and that. I remember thinking it was very outré when I was about 14

Icehaven

Quote from: Avril Lavigne on May 13, 2019, 09:04:02 PM
With myself and Korn it's not so much sneering as just hearing the stuff now and thinking 'this is aurally annoying on an instinctive level and it's immediately making my anxiety levels shoot up'.

I have a similar negative association thing, about 3 years ago I had an absolutely horrendous night in a pub where in between the live bands they just played Muse over the PA, and haven't voluntarily listened to them since despite quite liking them before (I can see they're getting a lot of hate here anyway but I liked them so ner.) Even hearing them in the background somewhere or on TV etc. I just have this sick feeling and want to burst into tears, it's bizarre.

Sin Agog

I must have a very high threshold of forgiveness and slightly sneer at the sneering "What were we thinking?" culture.

I still shudder thinking about that period around the emergence of Britpop when we were suddenly told that the gorgeous flanged bass and lush synthscapes of the '80s were a terrible blip we should pretend never happened.  Sure, culturally, with Reagan and Thatcher and the Contras, it could be a dark place, but musically it was extremely multi-dimensional compared to what came before.

Absorb the anus burn