Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:04:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Not understanding Electronic Music

Started by touchingcloth, May 12, 2019, 01:21:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

touchingcloth

What's this dude doing?

It's from about 3:00 in this video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JI8RL7DmtFI. He doesn't ever pluck the bass strings, but he twiddles the dials a lot. What?

JesusAndYourBush

Trying to look busy while the sampler/sequencer does all the work?

the

The twiddling is nothing to do with the bass. He mutes the kick drum of the drum machine track, then either boosts the high end EQ of the hi-hat or boosts the volume to make it more audible (can't quite tell), then he un-mutes the kick drum, and the twiddling after that is feeding an effects send that make the snare drum go through a bit of reverb, tweaking it up and down as the snare triggers (not to massive effect, it must be said).

The bassline he plays on the bass guitar seems to be going through a looper, so every now and again he plays a phrase in and then it continues to loop round. He then intermittently plays little variations, such as the one he does around 2:02, which then loops round. As it loops around, he doesn't have to continue to play, he can do other things.

It's not really an electronic music question, it's a question about live looping and performative live mixing of audio.

CaB suspicion of live performance of music via electronic means thread #3728978926 OH NOES THEY'RE BEING DECEPTIVE RIGHT

Why not write to the music ombudsman and ask for your money back, or alternatively talk to your trust fund manager like those powdered fucks

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: touchingcloth on May 12, 2019, 01:21:44 AM
What's this dude doing?

It's from about 3:00 in this video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JI8RL7DmtFI. He doesn't ever pluck the bass strings, but he twiddles the dials a lot. What?

he's recorded a brief phrase on the bass right near the start of this horrid piece of beardy twattishness, into a looper. probably a more sophisticated box than what ed sheeran uses, because it's got to be midi-syncable to the other bits & bobs these gits are using, like her vocal looper & the sequencers.

I do it all the time in my band but we're all CLEAN SHAVEN & make music that's a lot darker than this smug awful starbucksy bollocks.

a duncandisorderly

there I am, in fact, sat by some electronics & playing a bass, which also emits midi, & there's a looper device in my rack there.

Epic Bisto

What's it like jamming with Dev from Corrie?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on May 12, 2019, 04:47:56 AM
there I am, in fact, sat by some electronics & playing a bass, which also emits midi, & there's a looper device in my rack there.

Is this a still from the DVD (super deluxe edition)?

Replies From View

Quote from: BlodwynPig on May 12, 2019, 03:42:37 PM
Is this a-still from the DVD (super deluxe edition)?

Not anymore, Mario!

Sorry, not sure why I said that.  Anyway, I like electronic music so there.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Epic Bisto on May 12, 2019, 03:40:04 PM
What's it like jamming with Dev from Corrie?

arf. one of the lassies from corrie lived in stockport, & we used to see her sometimes when we stepped out of the rehearsal studio to grab a pint & some scoff of a tea-time.

Quote from: BlodwynPig on May 12, 2019, 03:42:37 PM
Is this a still from the DVD (super deluxe edition)?

no footage from that radio show, I don't think.... there's this, though, if you must:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pOfwC58Cms