Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 02:11:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Which of the shit looking low budget horror films on Netflix are worth watching?

Started by holyzombiejesus, May 12, 2019, 10:58:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

holyzombiejesus

Not just Netflix, I also get Now and Prime but I've lost count of the amount of films I've started watching and switched off after 5 minutes due to them being absolutely dire. Lots of found footage about people wandering round an asylum, lots of demonic possession, lots of posters showing Ringu types in grainy black and white but very little quality. I do need to be a little more patient as I'm quite trigger happy with the off button as soon as something looks (and sounds) cheap but would love to not waste my Saturday nights watching a load of old tut.

Icehaven

We watched He Never Died (starring Henry Rollins of all people) on Netflix yesterday, it was alright.

Replies From View

SteveDave

So far all the forrin ones have been the best- The Similars and Ravenous.

Avoid The Basement at all costs. Absolute dog eggs that was turned off after 20 minutes.

Mister Six

Quote from: icehaven on May 14, 2019, 02:24:27 PM
We watched He Never Died (starring Henry Rollins of all people) on Netflix yesterday, it was alright.

Yeah, I really liked that even though it's obviously just a TV pilot that they're trying to sell as a movie. They did have plans to spin it off into a show. Wonder if they're still pushing it?

Moribunderast

Just at a quick glance (and some of these I may have mentioned in the other horror thread) -

ERREMENTARI - Kinda Pans Labyrinthy flick, so not all-out horror, but is quite good for that horror/fantasy thing.

CREEP and CREEP 2 - Depends on your tolerance for Mark Duplass but as someone who mostly hates found footage films I was engaged and occasionally startled.

TERRIFIER - Grimey killer clown thing that, for some reason, I found very entertaining in spite of (or maybe because of?) it's cheapness and nastiness.

HAPPY HUNTING - This was definitely discussed in the other horror thread. Quite good chase/horror thing set in a small town of bad fuckers.

HUSH - Typical home invasion thriller but had some tense moments.

I dunno - do these count as low budget and shit looking? None are classics, by any means, but imo they were all decent Saturday evening viewing.

another Mr. Lizard

OUIJAGEIST, co-written by me (and previously mentioned in that "I've made a film" thread where someone claimed to have directed a movie and then wouldn't tell anyone about it), has been available on Prime for the past few months. It's being taken off this weekend, presumably in the wake of the news that we've secured some kind of worldwide deal for it which should at least ensure our director gets a return on his £15000 budgetary outlay. So if you want to give that a go, you've got a couple of days to view. It goes without saying that we've had a few one star reviews and a few five star reviews with little in between (doesn't everybody?) - pleasingly, several of the positive reviews have enjoyed the 'shot in Dudley'/soap opera aspects rather than our parade of cheapo OMEN-esque antics. Give it a look.

Swoz_MK

Quote from: Moribunderast on May 15, 2019, 02:50:35 AM
TERRIFIER - Grimey killer clown thing that, for some reason, I found very entertaining in spite of (or maybe because of?) it's cheapness and nastiness.

Ah piss I can't find it on there, wanted to see that for ages.

Don't Knock Twice - fun little spookshow

Cuellar

Quote from: Moribunderast on May 15, 2019, 02:50:35 AM
CREEP and CREEP 2 - Depends on your tolerance for Mark Duplass but as someone who mostly hates found footage films I was engaged and occasionally startled.

Been very tempted by these because the stills used to advertise them made me burst out laughing every time I saw them. Like something from Tim and Eric.

Can't find the exact one, but it was basically this

But without the mask and he was making a ridiculous face.

Also one of him in a polo neck and jeans by a fire.

Like this lol:

Gregory Torso

Creep 1 and 2 are both really great, despite the protagonist in 1 making some of the stupidest decisions I've ever seen in a horror film.

I think Clown was alright, as well.

Stay the fuck away from XX. That is SHIT.

Icehaven

Quote from: Mister Six on May 15, 2019, 02:33:54 AM
Yeah, I really liked that even though it's obviously just a TV pilot that they're trying to sell as a movie. They did have plans to spin it off into a show. Wonder if they're still pushing it?

Nothing else on Wikipedia since announcing the rights were up for grabs in 2014 so who knows.

Sin Agog

Dunno of it's still on there, but I really liked Cold Skin as a throwback to those 'man of science vs hordes of monsters' sorts of books H.G. Wells, William Hope Hodgson and them sort of cats used to write.

Icehaven

Quote from: another Mr. Lizard on May 15, 2019, 09:29:30 AM
OUIJAGEIST, co-written by me (and previously mentioned in that "I've made a film" thread where someone claimed to have directed a movie and then wouldn't tell anyone about it), has been available on Prime for the past few months. It's being taken off this weekend, presumably in the wake of the news that we've secured some kind of worldwide deal for it which should at least ensure our director gets a return on his £15000 budgetary outlay. So if you want to give that a go, you've got a couple of days to view. It goes without saying that we've had a few one star reviews and a few five star reviews with little in between (doesn't everybody?) - pleasingly, several of the positive reviews have enjoyed the 'shot in Dudley'/soap opera aspects rather than our parade of cheapo OMEN-esque antics. Give it a look.

I must have missed the earlier mention, I live in Sandwell so defo going to watch this in the next few days!

Mister Six

Another vote for Creep 1 and 2. The second one is a much, much better film than the first, actually, because there's a wee bit more depth and the protagonist isn't such a total fuckwit. Duplass is excellent in them too.

Mister Six

Which day does Ouijageist go off Prime? I'd like to watch it but I won't be free till Sat/Sun.

another Mr. Lizard

Quote from: Mister Six on May 16, 2019, 03:10:17 AM
Which day does Ouijageist go off Prime? I'd like to watch it but I won't be free till Sat/Sun.

All I've been told is 'it's being taken off at the weekend'. Hey, I'm just the writer...

You may miss out if you can't see it today or tomorrow. If you're really desperate to view, let me know.

surreal

I watched Ouijageist last night... well done for getting it on Prime!  Enjoyed the Dudley locations as a resident, was a bit thrown by the "Switzerland" bit at the start and had to check I was watching the right movie.  Really liked the "Poltergeist" gag with the chairs. 

another Mr. Lizard

Quote from: surreal on May 17, 2019, 09:19:25 AM
Really liked the "Poltergeist" gag with the chairs.

Thanks for the positive response - in common with a few other ventures, we seem to have prompted a roughly 48%/52% divide!

As for the Poltergeist gag - I wrote that and absolutely hated it even as I was typing it, but it filled a bit of space on the page and was the best way I could conjure up of bridging to the next scene. The movie comes out, and everyone singles it out as a highlight...

surreal

Quote from: another Mr. Lizard on May 17, 2019, 12:28:16 PM
Thanks for the positive response - in common with a few other ventures, we seem to have prompted a roughly 48%/52% divide!

As for the Poltergeist gag - I wrote that and absolutely hated it even as I was typing it, but it filled a bit of space on the page and was the best way I could conjure up of bridging to the next scene. The movie comes out, and everyone singles it out as a highlight...

Yeah, having a horror-movie-appreciating priest was a nice touch...

St_Eddie

Quote from: surreal on May 17, 2019, 03:58:21 PM
Yeah, having a horror-movie-appreciating priest was a nice touch...

The Exorcist III was first, mind (even more so in the director's cut).

purlieu

I've not seen Creep 2, but the first is worth a watch. It's not my kind of horror in the slightest, but I can't think of many films that have made me squirm with genuine discomfort as much as it.

St_Eddie

Quote from: purlieu on May 21, 2019, 07:12:02 PM
I've not seen Creep 2, but the first is worth a watch. It's not my kind of horror in the slightest, but I can't think of many films that have made me squirm with genuine discomfort as much as it.

This movie is rated for strong brutal violence, pervasive strong language and squirm inducement.

holyzombiejesus

Anything else decent of late. It's just full of dross. Horror must have the worst bad films out of any genre.

Enrico Palazzo

The Ritual is enjoyable, though it's not really a shit looking low budget one. Really is slim pickings for horror on Netflix.

holyzombiejesus

Yeah, I was thinking of the lesser known, straight-to-video style ones. Seems that for every Borderlands there are 100 Paranormal Asylums.

Puce Moment

Regarding the opening post, I completely empathise. I find myself reading synopses for TV series and films on Netflix that just sound the same. Either dead people coming back, or a detective returning to their hometown to solve a crime, and in the process has to deal with dark secrets from his/her past blah blah

I find it a bit alarming that Netflix is producing so much media, and so far the quite mediocre but perfectly watchable and entertaining Bird Box looks like top tier stuff.

purlieu

If Slugs is still on Netflix and you fancy some '80s b-movie body horror, it's pretty good. Also truly excellent 'exposition only, please' dialogue and totally out of place music. But yeah, there's a lot of gore in there if you fancy that.